The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 14, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Waspinator

Just Finished My CCW Class !

Hi everyone,

Well, I did my pistol safety class today in order to get my permit in this great state of Connecticut *cough*..... This is the first time ever shooting a handgun for myself. I own a shot gun and I shot .22LR back...way back.. in my Boy Scout days, but I never did shoot a hand gun.

It was a great class, very informative and only 4 people, so we got a lot of attention for each person.

When we left for the range, I was a bit nervous.. I have to admit.. But the instructor was very down-to-earth and made me feel at ease when we got there. Due to ammo shortage, we didn't have a lot of live fire unfortunately, but we did a lot of stance, grip and dry fire exercises. We used three different handguns and calibers. Anyway, here are my results.

First up was a 22LR Smith and Wesson Model 617 4" barrel revolver. We took 10 shots each , in double action, at about 12 feet distance (I know it was not far, but this was about firing safely). All 10 shots hit paper and this is how I did.

Next up was .38 special rounds fired through a Smith and Wesson 686+ 4" revolver in double action. I shot two cylinders full (14 total). Half of them was at the 12 foot distance, the other half was at about 20 feet (he wanted to move it out a bit for me). The instructor said all 14 hit paper, so I must have put a couple through an existing hole.

Lastly we shot a few (5) 9mm rounds. Unfortunately, I was so nervous about firing the semi-auto that I failed to write down the model. I do know it was a stainless steel framed Smith and Wesson that the instructor said was no longer made. Only thing I remember is it had an ambidextrous safety on it. These were shot at the 12 foot mark again.

Personally, I found the 3-dot sight system on the 9mm to be the most intuitive to me. I was having a little trouble with the square notch/blade system with the revolvers. That said, I really liked the function and simplicity of the revolver. All I know is, I had some serious fun and I can't wait until my permit comes back so I can start looking for a gun for myself!

Oh man.. this can get expensive quick.... I'm already thinking of excuses for my wife lol

Edit... I may have put this in the wrong forum sub-section, perhaps it was better served in another, if so I apologize.

Last edited by Waspinator; April 14, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old April 14, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
BrassAndLead

Congrats and nice shooting! I just finished my CC class the other day. Now I get to do the paperwork and fork over cash lol.
Old April 14, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Chowder

Very nice shooting! I just took my CCW class last summer even though I had been carrying for years. I figured there was no such thing as too much training and it was a great class. Also the Alaska CCW permit is accepted in 90% of the states I will be able to move to in the military so it will make moving much easier.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
hubris

Congrats

Nice shooting.Finished mine Thursday,paperwork and cash go in the morning.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Mausermolt

i thought in Alaska you didnt need a permit to carry?
Old April 14, 2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Chowder

Quote:
i thought in Alaska you didnt need a permit to carry?
They have a permit but it is not required. I am moving out of Alaska in Dec ( unless I extend my tour) so I got it to make moving and transporting my firearms easier. I have a very limited selection of bases in which I can get stationed and all but one accept Alaska's CCW permit.
Old April 15, 2013, 09:27 AM   #7
TailGator

That is good shooting, especially for a first time out with handguns. You must have received some good instruction and you must have received it well and been very teachable.

Hopefully we will soon have enough ammo on the market that you can make a hobby of shooting without breaking the bank.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Waspinator

Quote:
You must have received some good instruction
Thanks!

The instructor was awesome. I had a tendancy to keep looking over the firearm after each shot to see where I hit the paper. He told me to focus on the sights, aim toward the center of the paper, trust my sights and not look at where they were hitting. I had a hard time doing that because my curiosity kept me looking.

When I got to the 9mm, I told myself that no matter what, don't look.. just concentrate on the sights and center it on the paper. I took the first shot and the gun recoiled a little more then the revolvers and the recoil felt weird after shooting the revolvers. I though for sure it was way off, but I stuck to the plan and followed up the four remaining shots. I lowered the weapon after I was done, and to my surprise all 5 hit the center ring!

The instructor, at the end, took an index card with two small eyes drawn on it. He sent it all the way down range and took 7 consecutive shots with the 686+ in double action, one after the other. All 7 shots hit a 1/2" area between the eyes. man, that guy was a crack shot!

Here are is credentials... between his credentials and his refusal to have more then 4 people in a class at a time, made me go with him.

http://www.ct-firearms-safety.com/credentials.html

I'm very happy with my choice and highly recommend him to anyone looking for a course in CT.
Old April 27, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Jack19

You did fine. More than fine.

You should have seen some of the targets from members of my concealed class.

Looked like a shotgun pattern at 100 feet.
Old April 27, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
hbhobby

Good job.
Old April 27, 2013, 06:32 PM   #11
richardcorey

When I first started teaching my daughter to shoot, I told her "First you get Safe, and then you work on Accurate" to get her to go slow and be aware of what shooting is about, and I think it worked for her.
In your case it is pretty clear that you have a knack for shooting and by taking a proper CCW class that stresses safety and the law you are surely in the right frame of mind and to be commended. Accuracy without safety is foolish, but accuracy and proper safety training makes for a great life in the shooting world. Enjoy the ride...
LISTEN!!!
Old April 27, 2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspinator
Here are is credentials... between his credentials and his refusal to have more then 4 people in a class at a time, made me go with him.

http://www.ct-firearms-safety.com/credentials.html

I'm very happy with my choice and highly recommend him to anyone looking for a course in CT.
Modest, isn't he?

I guess my criteria are different from yours. Any time I see someone who feels he needs to pat himself on the back that much, I run the other way. I was especially impressed with this one:

Quote:
THE ONLY STATE CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
NATIONALLY DISTINGUISHED IN TWO SHOOTING DISCIPLINES
EARNING CREDIT TOWARDS THE DISTINGUISHED RIFLEMAN'S BADGE
Last I knew, the state of Connecticut didn't certify instructors, they require the NRA "Basic Pistol" class. Is this guy claiming (as it very much appears) that he knows every other instructor in Connecticut, and that he knows NONE of them are "nationally distinguished" (whatever that means) in two disciplines?
Old April 27, 2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Waspinator

Well then , I guess you must know it all...

For your information, my employer trained under that instructor in the 70's at the Police academy. I also know that everything he wrote in his credentials is accurate.

And, read the CT laws on requirements before commenting.

"to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association"

Talk about a buzz kill dude....

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: removed quotation from PM. (member warned)
Old April 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Biner

Just Finished My CCW Class !

Nice shooting Waspinator, especially for your first outing. Well done!
Old April 29, 2013, 11:00 AM   #15
southjk

Wow, that instructor also invented and patented the tactical light that mounts to a handgun.

Quote:
INVENTOR

Designed, developed and patent applied for 1986 the FIRST EVER, Tactical Handgun Light, now in use by law enforcement agencies throughout the country and our armed forces

On the home page you will see a photo of yours truly which appeared in the Hartford Courant in 1986 demonstrating my invention the "Tactical Handgun Light." Six years following my patent application and marketing efforts the "Tactical Light"became available on the retail market.
He does have a very long list of credentials.