The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 18, 2013, 04:00 AM   #1
slothers

Hammer marks on back of slide - normal wear?

I just posted this on another thread, but I think making a new thread would be suiting since I have not been able to find much on the search function. Sorry if it is repetitive.

I have read on many forums that there are sometimes coating issues on the berettas. Like even if they come new, there are some chips on the coating that exposes the bare metal underneath. I just purchased a beretta the other day and after I brought it home, I noticed a few of these on a couple areas of the gun.

Anyways I am not sure if I am being too nit picky with my new gun (I know those dings and chips may sometimes slip inspection and the gun will be used so it should not be that big of a deal) but I wanted someones opinion on whether other people are getting wear marks on the back of the slide near the firing pin (probably caused by the hammer) like I have on my attached picture.

If you look at the attached picture, there is a slight coating chip that exposes the bare metal underneath. Also I have not fired this gun yet with live rounds, only practiced a bit of the cocking and dry fired it like 5 times. Should this be an issue I should let beretta know about?

Thanks for any help and ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (beretta).jpg (113.4 KB, 61 views)
Old February 18, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

Yes that's normal.

Not on my SIG's but it's normal.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:28 PM   #3
slothers

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the hammer for any burs but it is fine as a whistle. So I take it is simply a factory mistake. I brought it to Turners and they told me it was not normal to have it come like that but the odds were it was no big deal.

I plan to just keep it oiled to prevent rusting. I am hoping it does not get much worse from repeated strikes of the hammer. But once I find some place with decent prices on 9mm ammo (absolutely non available in southern california) I'll put 1,000 rounds through it and show some updated pictures.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

Hammer marks on back of slide - normal wear?

Don't worry about it man. Build character anyways. Just shoot it a lot and keep it clean.