The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2012, 11:29 AM   #1
missesalot

Winchester Super X1 question

Went to a gun show today and found a sx1. It was in nearly flawless condition. Looks like a field gun with a vent rib brl, marked fixed mod choke. The gun had been modified with lengthened forcingncones, a backbore, and fit with 6 extended chokes from Seminole gunworks. The gun has awesome wood for a field gun. Serial number m3028. Guy is asking 650, what is a fair price for this? What would a steal be?
Old January 29, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Sounds like a shotgun, so we will move this to ... Shotguns.
Old January 29, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3
missesalot

Sorry my bad
Old January 29, 2012, 12:58 PM   #4
missesalot

I got about an hour to make up my mind, anyone have any thoughts?
Old January 29, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
johnbt

I'd be tempted at that price.

Assuming everything is original except the barrel work, and that it's never been shot with a bad bolt buffer or no bolt buffer, and that's it's probably an early gun with a grooved type 1 trigger (a lot of folks prefer the later type 3 smooth trigger) and a screw by the front bead holding the rib on (these get pinned sometimes to keep them from eventually shearing off), etc., etc.

Sounds like a $500 gun with $400 worth of barrel work.

And it's possible the previous owner had the mainspring tube and magazine tube replaced with stainless ones. And maybe replaced all the springs, etc. Why just do the barrel work, unless he bought the barrel that way and sold the original. Improving the SX1 is a cottage industry at places like Wrights and www.nulineguns.com/category_part_41_3_31_41.php

Here's a $500 gun.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/67470/...modified-choke

In 2005 I bought later model SX-1 field gun with a MOD choke and a classy old recoil pad on it and paid $450, but the forearm is dinged up pretty good in two places like it fell over on something. Other that that it was like new.
Old January 29, 2012, 01:08 PM   #6
missesalot

Im in, headin back up there
Old January 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #7
missesalot

Just got back, swiped the gun for 540. I think it actually is a target model, as the top of the receiver is matte. It has a screw by te front bead. Havent taken it apart yet to see about the other studf u mentioned. I am not familiar with these intimately, how do i assess the bolt buffer situation? Is there a assembly/disassembly guide online anywhere? Thanks a lot i have serious perma-grin, i freel like i stole this thing. The fricken wood is really nice.
Old January 29, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
johnbt

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=60&t=264517

Here are some pics and a short tutorial to get you started. Good deal on getting the price down.

They aren't too hard to get apart.

John
Old January 29, 2012, 08:46 PM   #9
missesalot

Thanks a lot. I got it apart and found that the bolt buffer is in great shape. There a little rusty crud where oil had pooled and then dried up, cleaned up awesome. How do i tell when this gun was made? Serial is m30290. How do i tell which trigger is in there? Cant wait to shoot this tthing. Do these tend to like being oiled or drylubed? The barrel screw down by the muzzle was a little lose, should i put some locktite on it?
Old January 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #10
missesalot

It also has a nice new recoil pad that seems to have been fitted very well. The trigger does have grooves on the front. Based on what i have told you, what do you think the gun is worth?
Old January 30, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Rugerismisticness

I would lube her up well and just shoot (after posting pictures). SX1s are some of the nices shotguns ever made, I actually just had a dream about the one I had sold last night. I was shooting some kind of wierd 5 stand, but anyways...awesome gun. I highly recommend wrights for parts. Mine was a Trap model with the montecarlo stock, 30"FVR barrel and 26"ICVR Skeet barrel that were both screwless. I also had the type three trigger in mine and some stainless replacement parts, so beautiful.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
missesalot

here are a few pics

here she is. i can't find a mark on this thing. i have always wanted to have one of these. is it a target model?

Old January 30, 2012, 10:12 AM   #13
missesalot

Old January 30, 2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Rugerismisticness

As far as I can tell, it's a field model. I'm just judging by the stock shapes (winchester really could get some excellent wood, even for the field models), the rib and barrel usually tell, but it's hard to tell for me from the photos.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:08 PM   #15
missesalot

I dig it either way. From what i am gatherin here and elsewhere looks like its a target gun with a modified field barrel that has been tricked out a bit. Thanks gents
Old January 31, 2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

To this date, I've never heard a complaint from an X1 owner.

Of any kind.

IMO, one of the best shotguns ever made.

This one was obviously worked over into a Clays Crusher. Even if its got 100K rounds behind it, it should prove itself great and long lasting.

Enjoy......
Old April 18, 2012, 08:59 PM   #17
missesalot

No matter how many times i hear that, i dont get sick of it. I love this thing
Old April 18, 2012, 09:28 PM   #18
oneounceload

The Seminole barrel work and chokes are almost half of the cost you spent, so yeah, good deal!
Old April 19, 2012, 10:07 AM   #19
missesalot

Have put a bunch of rounds through it on the skeet field, works great no hicups. How an i tell if its the straight skeet stock or the straight trap stock
Old April 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #20
johnbt

Measure.

Seriously, see the third post in the linked thread, there's a chart of the factory stock specs.

www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=918597
Old April 20, 2012, 01:26 PM   #21
missesalot

Guess i deserved that:-). Just never done it before and hadnt hit that link yet as i have ****e data signal where i am at;-)
Old April 21, 2012, 10:17 AM   #22
johnbt

The numbers aren't set in stone, but they're a start.

Old February 11, 2014, 10:25 AM   #23
missesalot

first issue

so i'm stupid, we've established this. took this gun out to shoot sporting this weekend, ten degrees out. I had cleaned the gun with one shot, which claims to be a cleaner/luber all in one. about half way through the round it stopped firing, no click no bang no nothin. figured it froze and finished up with another guys gun. popped the trigger out at home and could see what was happening. the hammer was cocked, but the part that seats into the notch in the sear wasn't making it all the way down to that notch, so when the trigger was pulled it just slid up the upper part of the sear that is above the notch. apologies for the rookie descriptions, i don't know much about innerds and am trying to take care of things myself to stay off the wife-dar. whats that part called that engages the sear? it looks like it has a hex head whole in it, is is just a matter of adjusting this puppy down a smidge? is this common? Thanks gents, and gals.