The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Jbotto

What's the difference? ....RCBS presses

I have been reading much on this forum the last month, and have been looking for the basic reloading equipment (mainly on Ebay) I have found multiple RCBS presses, but I don't know the difference between the JR's and the Rockchucker. I'm guessing it's mainly size? And how many different JRs are there? As far as I can guess is 3...? What is the most favorable to buy and what should the absolute most I pay for one? I apologize for all the questions but I thank everyone in advance for all the help! Thanks!
Old March 20, 2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Red_Eagle

I don't think the JR is still being made. The only 2 I know of that they still make is the Rock Chucker and the Pardner. Of those 2, the Rock Chucker is the strongest.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage
Old March 20, 2010, 09:26 AM   #3
MADISON

RCBS presses

40 years ago [1970] my 2nd press was a JR. It is not the press a ROCKCHUCKER is. Since RCBS has changed hands so many times, I recommend an older Rockchucker.
Old March 20, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Slamfire

I purchased an RCBS Junior but never mounted it or sized anything with it.

My Junior was lacking the compound leverage found in the RCBS rock chucker.

I have tried to small base size rifle cases in another press without compound leverage, my Lyman Spar-T. It was impossible.

I think these pre compound leverage presses are good for pistol ammo.

I sold my Jr for $35.00 and the guy who has it is happy. I have not asked him if he has reloaded anything with it, I will be curious to know if he has difficulty with rifle calibers.
Old March 20, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Jbotto

Ok, thanks guys. I think that I will try and avoid the Jr's. What is the the RCBS RS2 and is it any good?
Old March 20, 2010, 12:58 PM   #6
lll Otto lll

The Juniors are great presses

I have two of them, a JR-2 and a JR-3. You can case form .30-06's on them so they are plenty strong, believe me.
I also have two Rock Chuckers as well but in comparison there is very little the JR's can't do.
*Exception: you can't install a Piggyback progressive conversion on a JR but few people do that anymore.

The RS-2 is a good press however RCBS made them of cast aluminum, same thing as the Pardners. JR's are made of cast iron.
I'd take a JR over a Reloader Special 2 any day.
Old March 20, 2010, 01:37 PM   #7
thallub

I own JR press and a Rock Chucker. My JR press was bought in 1974 and the Rock Chucker was bought a little later. My JR press has re-loaded at least 100,000 rounds of rifle ammo.

There is very little that a JR press will not do. The Rock Chucker seems ungainly to me: The only thing I use it for is to re-size magnum cases.

Last edited by thallub; March 20, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old March 20, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Not to confuse the issue, but I see a lot of stuff on e-bay that sells for more than common sense suggests it is worth. Bullet molds, especially, for some reason? As to a fair price, I think the Lee Classic Cast press, a more modern design with a larger throat and ram and base thread (for 50 BMG) and adjustable leverage and positive spent primer capture, is really the better press unless you want to later install the RCBS Piggyback? For those reasons I would not pay more than about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a new Lee Classic Cast for a used Rock Chucker, especially since you can't inspect the press for wear in the ram journal over e-bay. I would otherwise opt to buy the Lee Classic Cast press new, instead, and consider the money better spent. I might buy the Lee press used, first, as it's a newer design and less likely to have many years of wear.

The current price for the new Lee Classic Cast on Midway is $86 + S&H, which puts it at about $102 to my door. So, if you can find a used Rock Chucker for under $68 (including shipping and handling) that's probably a good deal. Otherwise I would buy the Lee new.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 20, 2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Jbotto

Wow! Thanks unclenick! That is a heck of alot of good information!
Old March 20, 2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Jbotto

Oh, here's another question: What is generally thought of the RCBS partner press? I understand it is cast aluminum, but is it worth the money for a beginner or is it a secondary press that most use for smaller duties?
Old March 20, 2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Red_Eagle

I bought the Pardner kit. I use a Lee Classic cast for all my resizing now. The Pardner very sensitive press. Thats why i use it for all my bullet seating. Really not strong enough for a lot of full length rifle sizing though. But I did use it for that for a year or so before I got the Lee. I also got in a Lee Reloader a couple days ago. No where near a precise as the Pardner and seems pretty fragile. I've been using it for crimping. I guess for $30 dollars it's okay. I'm pretty sure full length sizing would probably break it in half.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage