The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 2, 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Mags

Knife: Plain edge or serrated?

What do you prefer and why. I'm new to knives but have always liked having a partialy serrated edge. Seems to cut roap, plastic, rubber better. What are the pros and cons of each?
Old January 2, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Andrew93

serrated edges are harder to sharpen but cut stuff easier. Regular edges are easier to sharpen. A thing that annoys me about serrated edges is when your cutting stuff hair and crap gets in the serrated edge and makes it useless until you clean the stuff out of it.
Old January 2, 2008, 09:24 PM   #3
RedneckFur

I prefer straight edges all the time. I've got no use for a serated edge.
Old January 2, 2008, 10:20 PM   #4
odsixer

Quote:
I prefer straight edges all the time. I've got no use for a serated edge.
Today 06:39 PM
+1
Old January 2, 2008, 10:24 PM   #5
hoytinak

I used to have all partially serrated knives but they became too much of a pain to keep properly shapened. Now all I have is plain edges. Never really needed the serrated edge so I don't miss them.
Old January 2, 2008, 11:55 PM   #6
raymond-

reality is that these are tools and one simply selects what is best for a particular
task. if, for the most part, your need is straight edge, that's what you select....
or vice versa.

as I assess my knives, I see that I have some of each, as well as combo blades.
when I'm working with nylon webbing when mountaineering, having the serrated
edge makes fast work of the rope/webbing. even in urban setting, I like to keep
at least half a blade with this design....after I've had occasion to cut someone
free from their seat belt. most of the time, the straight edge will suffice.

my primary carry is the Balisong, AFCK ATS-34, half straight...half serrated
Old January 3, 2008, 01:40 AM   #7
skeeter1

I've only got one partially-serrated knife, a cheap Maxam that is great for opening cardboard boxes and not much else. All of the better-quality knives I have are plain blades. Yes, the plain blades will open cardboard boxes as well, but why use a $200 knife for that when the $10 one works fine, and if I ruin it, I'm not going to care much. Serrated blades, even partially-serrated ones, and a pain in the rear to sharpen and clean the gunk out of the teeth. I've never had a full-serrated blade, but can only imagine that's even worse.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:47 AM   #8
Axion

There are a select few times when a serrated edge is useful, like cutting thick rope. The rest of the time a sharp plain edge cuts better and having a partially serrated edge just gets in the way.
Old January 3, 2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Martyn4802

Personally, I have no use for a blade with a serrated edge. Others may like them however.
You can do anything you need a knife to do with a non-serrated edge blade.
As said above, serrated edges are extremely difficult to sharpen, compared to a straight edge blade. I think the serrated edge blade look terrible too, again, when compared to a straight edge knife. The only serrated edge blades I have are bread knives in the kitchen.

Martyn
Old January 3, 2008, 07:50 AM   #10
DWARREN123

Plain edge most uses. If I have to cut plastic tubing or rubber hose I like serrated.
Old January 3, 2008, 10:28 AM   #11
Andrew93

Yeah, I forgot to say i dont use serrated edge knives. No use.
Old January 3, 2008, 10:56 AM   #12
M1911

Plain. I can easily sharpen my plain edge knives. Serrated knives are a major pain to sharpen.
Old January 3, 2008, 11:33 AM   #13
Jim Watson

Every once in a while a serrated blade comes in handy.
I wish somebody made a two-bladed pocket knife with one blade plain, one serrated. It would be more useful than the usual run of half-serrated knives.

The Spyderco Dyad is close, but their blade shape makes handling a two-bladed knife uncomfortable, the closed blade is so high above the handle.

I visualize something like a modernized and somewhat enlarged Muskrat.
Old January 3, 2008, 11:43 AM   #14
The Tourist

On most of the "combo" edged knives I sharpen, the serrated part hasn't been used. And the answer is quite simple.

Most guys want to "save the edge" for a real or imagined emergency. And most folks know that when a serrated edge degrades, it's hard to bring them back.

I've seen the 'effects' of using those rat-tail files in sharpening the serrations from the front side. It's almost impossible to hold your hand straight and level at the identical angle for +dozen serrations. Most of these repairs simply ruin the knife.

The serrations should be repaired from the back side. Using a finer grit stone, the sharpener should make several down-strokes--like he was trying to straighten out the little "fingers" of the serrations. When his stone passes begin to quiet, he can use up and down strokes. Then he should polish this repair using the same procedure.

As for this "which is better" routine, you have to ask yourself if you need serrations. And the fact is, most of you don't.

If you are an over-the-road trucker, a sailor or a working cowboy, you probably will need to cut something slippery or wet on your job.

(Sharp knives cut seatbelts, so I'm 50/50 on first-responders.)

The real problem with serrations is neglect. Dull knives don't cut, but dull serrations can rip. A guy outfitted with a combo knife, or a knife that is fully serrated tends to leave his knife in a poor state of repair.

It always baffles me why a hunter pays +$1K for a rifle, almost as much for a scope and then uses a 5-dollar knife. Same here.

If your job (or life) depends on the emergency ripping power of serrations, then for pete's sake, learn how to sharpen the plain portion of the blade.

If the serrations are part of your job, you might think about carrying a fully serrated knife (in pristine condition) and keeping a fully plain, sharp knife as your EDC. Knives don't take up much room, and most of us TFL members have pockets full of toys.

Letting a serrated knife go dull--or carrying one so you can let the plain portion go for longer periods of neglect--is like leaving an engine in need of a tune-up, but then strapping in a turbocharger to make up for the loss of performance.

BTW, I don't own a serrated knife, and as a distributor, I can buy any knife I want for next to nothing.
Old January 3, 2008, 12:14 PM   #15
Creature

I had little use for serrated blades. Until last year.

I have a half and half-bladed Voyager that I have carried on and off for years. Used the serrated edge once....to cut a woman from her seat belt who was stuck upside down in her car that was on fire.

That serrated edge went through the seat belt like it wasn't there.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:19 PM   #16
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature
That serrated edge went through the seat belt like it wasn't there.
But that's my point. You are comparing the performance you got with serrations against the use you received from a plain edge.

My plain edge EDC will easily out-cut your serrated knife--and do it time after time, even against rough weave rope.

And this is the problem as I see it. You can take a new knife out of a package, and the bevel is dull and crooked. My concern is that these knives can wind up in the hands of first responders.

To guard against this condition, the user simply buys a serrated knife and feels exaclty like Creature. To him, that knife is superior, it saved a life and he's glad he had it.

However, the serrated portion of that knife is made from the same material as the plain portion (obviously, it's on the same knife.)

And the manner in which the plain edge degrades is the same as the serrated portion will.

My guess is that there was also plenty of adrenaline in your arm.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:19 PM   #17
bikerbill

I have probably 4 dozen knives and (I just looked) only one has a serrated edge. The two knives I carry most often are a Kershaw Chive, auto open with a 2-inch blade, and a Spyderco Raven with a 3 1/2 inch blade. Both are plain edge. The benefit, as many have mentioned, is that sharpening a serrated edge is a major production, where you can sharpen a plain edge in a minute or two. Serrated edges have benefits in cutting some materials, like maybe a seatbelt if you're stuck in a car, but I've never found anything I needed to cut that didn't give up to a plain edge.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:26 PM   #18
stephen426

To me a knife is primarily a tool which can be used as a weapon. Some people will not use a "defensive knife" for anything in order to preserve the edge. I have carried a knife for over 14 years and have never had to pull it or use it on anyone (Thank God!). I do pull out my knife and use it at least 10 times a day. Based on that mentality, I have to make compromises.

Most of my knives are partially serrated. While serrated knives are generally harder to sharpen, it also depends on the type of serration the knife has. Benchmade uses the typical scalloped edges that a rod type sharpened can easily touch up. Cold Steel has scallops as well, but has needle like serrations as well. Those fine serrations are nearly impossible to sharpen yourself.

One good thing about serrated edges is that they stay sharp longer. While the cut is not clean like a plain edge, you can still saw through objects like cardboard or rope. A dull plain edge has limited usefulness though. While I try to maintain the edge on my knives, I try not to sharpen too often as it decreases the "life" of the knife. For me, partially serrated knives are ideal.

This is my daily carry: Benchmade 710

I own probably over a dozen knives but this is the one I have been carrying for the last 5 or 6 years. This one just fits my hand perfectly and I love the Axis lock.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:34 PM   #19
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
One good thing about serrated edges is that they stay sharp longer
No, they don't. They simply seem to work better in a state of dis-repair.

Think about the comparison of a Ferrari to a diesel lawn tractor.

Spyderco just about wrote the book on serrated pocketkinves. In fact, many of the same knives (in the same alloy) come in three renditions.

For example, one of the hardest working modern steels is VG-10. It shows up in pocketknives and also high-end Japanese laminate kitchen knives, like Shun, for example.

My opinion is that, like most people, you make more cuts with the front, plain edge part of the knife. It is now more dull.

So along comes an emergency and voila, the serrated parts "cuts better."
Old January 3, 2008, 01:59 PM   #20
stephen426

Quote:
Quote:
One good thing about serrated edges is that they stay sharp longer
No, they don't. They simply seem to work better in a state of dis-repair.
Okay... .lets not argue semantics here. A serrated blade can still rip through what your are trying to cut through better than a plain edge of the same sharpness. A dull knife won't cut. Besides, for the same length of blade, the serrate blade has more cutting surface. Furthermore, the little scalloped edges often "hide" usuable parts of the blade when the plain edge is already dulled beyond noremal cutting tasks.

Like I said, I treat my knives a tools first and then weapons. I sharpen them when I can, but I then again, I don't count on them to save my life. There is a balance to everything.

I guess one solution is that I could always carry 2 knives and reserve one for defensive purposes but then again... don't bring a knife to a gun fight!
Old January 3, 2008, 02:03 PM   #21
stephen426

While we are on the subject of knives... What kind of steel do you prefer for knives?

154-CM
S30V
D2
ATS-34
AUS 8
440C

Benchmade typically uses the first 3 and they used to use a lot of ATS-34. One great thing about Benchmade is their Lifetime Sharpening Policy. You Send your knife and a check for $5, and they sharpen it back to original sharpness.
Old January 3, 2008, 02:23 PM   #22
M1911

Quote:
One great thing about Benchmade is their Lifetime Sharpening Policy. You Send your knife and a check for $5, and they sharpen it back to original sharpness.
Spyderco has a similar policy.

But I can sharpen my plain-edge Spyderco in less time that it takes to pack it up, let alone drive to the post office and ship it.

And since I need to keep my kitchen knives sharp, sharpening my 3" Spyderco blade is hardly any extra work. Five or ten minutes while sitting in front of the TV and the Spyderco is sharp for the next month or two.
Old January 3, 2008, 05:22 PM   #23
EJJR

I have a Spyderco 1/2 and 1/2 that is about 6 months old and has retained a sharp edge on both portions, but I rarely use it.

So, in general, I would think it all depends on it's intended purpose and the amount of use it is likely to see.

For a "fighting blade" I would prolly choose a fixed straight edge.

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/
Old January 3, 2008, 07:13 PM   #24
AK103K

Quote:
You can do anything you need a knife to do with a non-serrated edge blade.
I beg to differ here. If you use your knife for a lot of heavy cutting on things that will quickly take an edge off a plain edged knife, the serrated knife will at least allow you to get the day in. A serrated edge will also cut through some things, like rope, much quicker.

They definitely have their uses and if your someone that needs it, you understand their usefulness.

Quote:
And most folks know that when a serrated edge degrades, it's hard to bring them back.
I havent had this trouble. I sharpen both parts of the blades on my knives and it only takes a little bit of time to sharpen both. I use a Lansky sharpener, and it does a great job.

If you stay on top of them, both are easy to keep up. If you let them go to long, they both need more work.

Quote:
But I can sharpen my plain-edge Spyderco in less time that it takes to pack it up, let alone drive to the post office and ship it.
I agree. I never understood why people dont sharpen their own knives, especially with some of the tools out there these days that make it so easy.

If you keep up on them, its a 5 minute job, and you have a razors edge when your done.

For as much as I use my knives, I couldnt afford the postage.

I do notice a LOT of people, who actually have a knife on them, dont keep a sharp knife. (a dangerous thing too, I might add) Many just buy cheap ones and chuck them when they dull. Most I ask why they dont sharpen them say they dont know how or dont have time.

I also see a lot of the disposable blade folding razor knives these days, and I have one myself. They are handy, especially for cutting fabrics and things that quickly dull an edge, or for things you would rather not run your good knifes edge across. When dull, a flip of the lever and rotate the blade and your back in business.
Old January 3, 2008, 08:13 PM   #25
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
A serrated blade can still rip through what your are trying to cut through better than a plain edge of the same sharpness. A dull knife won't cut.
Then why did the knives that Ernest Emerson made for SEALs have plain edges, but the Benchmade version knives made for civilians have serrations?

Now granted, if my knife even smells dull, I can touch it up with rice paper a dab of paste. But I still have to pay a plumber, so in the end it evens out.

My point is that if anything is properly maintained, it works better than something left in dis-repair. And serrations work simply like a brass hammer works, and frankly, I don't like ripping material.

But as I've said, when you need a brass hammer, nothing else works. However, how many of us are working cowboys? My guess is that many of us own a .458 and never intend to visit Africa, we just enjoy stuff like that.

I would bring your attention to knife that Spyderco makes called a "Salt." In some areas and in some early boxes it goes by the name of "Pacific." It is made with a hydrogen process, and the steel is called H1. It never rusts. Repeat, the stuff does not rust. It's not like stainless steel which will rust under abuse, H1 doesn't rust.

One version comes in a bright yellow handle with a fully serrated blade. Clearly, it is marketed to divers who need a knife for cutting slippery wet things.

But again, the alloy is the same at the front of the knife just as it is at the back of the knife. If you're ripping--even on a seatbelt--then have your knife checked and serviced.

Most companies re-sharpen their products for free.