The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2000, 02:44 PM   #1
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Grandpa bought a box of reloading stuff at an auction the other day. Lots of neat trinkets for 6mm Rem., a cool Bonanza press, some miscellaneous stuff, and a Belding and Mull visible powder measure. Now, I do want a powder measure so I was pretty happy about that. It needs a new plastic tube (containing the reservoir of powder) but I only spent about $5 on it. The problem is that I don't know if B&M is manufactured anymore. They're not on the search engines and a search of this forum came up empty. Does anybody know anything about this company and whether it's worth it to try to find this part? Thanks.
Old September 23, 2000, 03:27 PM   #2
Kenneth L. Walters

I think that that company folded around the start of WWII. Their powder measure had a somewhat longer life as several other firms made it. To the best of my knowledge, however, it has been several years since they were last made.
Old September 23, 2000, 09:15 PM   #3
Robert Foote

I have one of these measures with the brass tube. Also have one of their catalogues from 1954 or so.

If you have the drop tube you are in pretty fair shape. It is a separate tube with a graduated screw adjustment that varies the size of the cavity. I doubt that you can find parts but I would think you could make a new reservoir tube from brass, clear plastic, or even PVC tube as long as the OD was correct.

These are good measures; a bit slow but very, very accurate. It's worth restoration if you have all the basic parts there.

------------------
Old September 24, 2000, 03:08 AM   #4
bk40

I may be wrong on my recollection... B&M pwdr measures were high quality products, most owners use them to throw accurate, large amounts of powder.

try contacting the folks at Precsion Shooting and Varmint Hunter (magazines), both are online.
Old September 24, 2000, 08:38 AM   #5
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Actually, I don't have the drop tube either. Oh well. I don't really need a powder measure at this stage anyway. If anybody has a working example and needs a body and lever for parts, let me know. Otherwise I'll just oil it and let it sit. Maybe I'll blunder into another one or two and end up with a complete piece. It sounds like a neat thing to have even if you don't use it. Thanks, guys.
Old September 24, 2000, 10:37 PM   #6
JimWolford

Don:

I tried to send you a private e-mail and got an error message-

I have a B&M measute that I use for black powder only as it is non-sparking.

I could always use spare parts, if you want to sell try sending me a message with price & etc.

TIA

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old September 25, 2000, 10:01 PM   #7
El Lobo

Hey Guys,

I bought a B&M measure with a magnum micrometer dispensing tube about 1970. Seems I paid about $45 for it then from the factory. I still use it when I want to throw good accurate loads for 25-06, 358 Norma or 45-70's. I would not part with it.
Old September 26, 2000, 04:23 PM   #8
MADISON

PLEASE!!!Get me anaddress and phone number for B&M. An E-Mail address would be nice.

I bought their cleaning rods in to 70's and had a busted powder measure from them...They make/MADE damn good stuff.
Old September 27, 2000, 09:57 AM   #9
whitebear

From a post on http://www.xtremeaccuracy.com/groupt...y/00000043.htm -

"Bob: One of the all time most accurate powder measures is the old Belding & Mull visible powder measure. They are no longer made but are available if you look real hard for them. In fact, in a recent article on Powder Measures in Precision SHooting, the old B&M beat the pants off of the ultra fancy and high priced modern powder measures. I have been collecting these measures over the years and can tell
you that you can run into them for anywheres from $25 to $200 depending on condition, if they have the plastic or brass hopper and how many drop tubes there are as well as if the box is present or not. In my opinion you cannot find a more accurate powder measure for either black or smokeless than the B&M. Vega Tool makes a modern version of the B&M. Vega is in Boulder Colorado, 4865 Tanglewood Court 80301. Hope this helps..."

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Old September 27, 2000, 10:35 PM   #10
MADISON

Here is MORE "for what it's worth about B&M:

I did a little research and found a copy of
6th Edition of HANDLOADER'S DIGEST. It was copyrighted MCMLXXII [1972 ?]. iT LISTED A "Visible Powder Measure" for $22.00. The address they listed was:

Belding and Mull
100 N. 4th Street
Philipsburg, Pa., 16866

Lets face it, we have not seen their products on the market for years but, it you find them please let me know where.
Old September 28, 2000, 11:38 AM   #11
Jerry Stordahl

Don & Madison: I ran across an invoice for some one piece cleaning rods I bought in 1982. The address at that time was:

Belding & Mull, Inc.
100 N. 4th St. P.O. Box 428
Philipsburg, PA 16866

Phone # (814) 342-0607

The rods were stainless steel and excellent tools. I used them until I went to Dewey coated rods. The powder measure was supposed to deliver very accurate and precise charges. I always intended to order one, but never got around to it. Good luck. I haven't heard anything about them for years.
Old September 28, 2000, 03:29 PM   #12
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Thanks anyway. Actually I have that address; although the measure is missing the powder hopper (the big plastic one) and the drop tube, it did come with a perfect old box. The box looks like it comes from the '50s or '60s. I sent a letter to Vega Tool yesterday to see if they'd sell me a drop tube to fit. If so, I'll make my own hopper and be in business.
Old September 29, 2000, 11:24 AM   #13
Bogie

Check at the centerfire forum at benchrest.com - someone may have parts, or know where to get 'em.