The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 1999, 08:51 PM   #1
StanA

I just left the Tacstar site and was thinking of ordering the side of gun 6 shell mount and there sling are they worth it? I have a Mossberg 500. Also is the company a good company to order from? Thanks Stan...

[This message has been edited by StanA (edited November 05, 1999).]
Old November 5, 1999, 01:10 AM   #2
Woody

I don't kknow about there slings but the sidesaddle carrier is deffinitly worth
the money.

One problem depending on which Mossy 500
you have there may be a need to cut off about
and inch from the forearm. As the sidesaddle
will sometimes keep the forearm from fully
cycling. It is not that big a deal and it
is fairly easy to fix.

Woody
Old November 5, 1999, 03:22 AM   #3
boing

I have the Side-Saddle and tactical light from Tac-Star, but not the sling. Both have worked very well for me.

You may find that the shells tend to slip out of the carrier after firing several shots. But for me, it takes more shots than the 7 in the mag before the shells in the SS threaten to fall completely out. That's annoying when shooting 100 round practice drills, but shouldn't be much of a concern in a defense situation.

From reading your other post, your gun's forearm (cylindrical tube, with deep ridges around the circumference?) is probably OK with the Side-Saddle. To check it, rack the action all the way back, and see if any of the forearm comes back far enough to cover the receiver. If it does, you can buy a shortened fore-arm , which I think is standard for Mossberg's defense oriented guns.

Tac-Star is a well-established company with a fine reputation.

[This message has been edited by boing (edited November 05, 1999).]
Old November 5, 1999, 04:14 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

On the Side Saddle....

I've one on the House 870 here, along with an extended mag. When I pick up the weapon, there's 10 rounds or so available immediately.

However, in a HD scenario, anything requiring more than 1 or 2 rounds of shotgun ammo to resolve probably needs backup more than more beans in the wheel.

It's nice to have the Side Saddle, for one thing it reduces recoil appreciably. But I don't regard it as necessary.

Also, while my hunting weapons sport slings, the House 870 doesn't. Just another thing to get in the way...
Old November 5, 1999, 09:06 AM   #5
StanA

Thanks for you recommendations guys! PS is the Side-Saddle thing easy to install? What is involed? I also checked my forend and it does not seem like it would interfere.

[This message has been edited by StanA (edited November 05, 1999).]
Old November 6, 1999, 05:43 AM   #6
boing

The Side Saddle is pretty easy to install. It comes with two screws to replace the ejector screw and the pin that holds the trigger assembly in the receiver. If you know how to use a screw-driver and an allen wrench, you can do it. (the allen wrenches are included with the Side Saddle, BTW)

I agree with Dave about the sling. I have one for range use, but I don't recommend it for home defense.