The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2014, 04:55 PM   #1
HiBC

Krag question

Impulse led me to buy a typical cut down to sporter...sort of like a carbine Krag with a horrid bore.As far as original...a true sow's ear.

I did find a cut off 22 in bbl with a good bore.Its installed.

Sights..this Krag says 1894 for a mfg date.Sight appears to be 1896 variant.

The elevation ramp has no steps,its a little curved.There is no windage adj.

The elevation slide does not make contact till past 350 yds indicated.And,as the sight radius is radically shortened,nothing is going to correlate.Plus,I have old eyeballs that have a hard time with tiny notch open sights.

I obtained an old Rice bolt sleeve peep sight for a Krag.Its a cheap,simple sight.Forward end of flat spring base attaches to the extractor/bolt sleeve pivot..There is a simple elevation screw to flex the flat spring base to give elevation.Two ears hang down with opposing set screws that engage theflat sides of the bolt sleeve for windage.
The sight is just a formed piece of flat spring stock with three adjustment screws.
What I like:Its an authentic period way to put a basic adjustable peep sight on.
No drilling,tapping,etc.
Even though this Krag is far from original,I'm trying to do no further harm.
OK,all that intro to get to the question:
The pivot pin,(extractor to bolt sleeve),is not the type that screws in from above.

It has a head,like a rivet,in a counterbore on the underside of the bolt sleeve.It comes up throught the end of the extractor,and on the top of the bolt sleeve the domed end of the pin is visible.
Is that a simple "tap it out with a punch" pin,or has it been peened as a rivet?

I would guess its peened.I'm thinking I'll need to get it out and make a new pin to accommodate the sight and a small washer,then peen the end.

I think I'll kasenite the body of the pin where the extractor pivots,but leave the end to be peened soft.

Thoughts? Any feedback before I commit would be appreciated.
Old December 2, 2014, 09:19 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those rivets were upset using a concave punch, enough to keep them in place. They will usually come out without too much trouble, but were not intended for removal in the field, only at depot level.

Jim
Old December 2, 2014, 10:44 PM   #3
HiBC

Thanks,James!!It would be nice to save the pin.
At least I now know what I'm looking at.