The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2013, 02:38 AM   #26
NWCP

Have her handle some of the Browning Buckmarks. Great triggers, light weight and decent prices.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:38 AM   #27
USMCGrunt

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the M&P22 yet! Mine has been 100% reliable with anything I put through it including the cheapest Wal-Mart bulk box ammo and very accurate as well. It's also nice that it feels and functions like a real pistol being able to use the same manual of arms, holsters and some other accessories my M&P45 uses. I probably should have zeroed in the sights first but this is a 5-round group at 15m fired from a prone unsupported position:

The SR22 is also another good choice, especially for smaller hands. It's about as small and light as the Walther P22 but is made from better materials. Another reliable pistol, mine hasn't been quite as accurate as the M&P but still pretty decent considering its smaller size.

My Ruger Mk-II is easily the most accurate .22 pistol I own and if pure target shooting is your thing, pistols like the Mk-II or Buckmark would be a good choice. However, I find these pistols rather boring and just not a good choice for low-cost dynamic pistol training like my M&P22 is.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:42 AM   #28
Free2Cari

Thank you so much for all the helpful suggestions! And to respond to the above feed:

"The OP said they already shoot a 22 revolver, and rifle. Maybe he is one of us thoughtful ones who has always kept a stockpile of ammo that we use."

Yes, those kids go through a lot of ammo quickly, we have stockpiled!!
Old April 8, 2013, 10:45 AM   #29
2000ShadowACE

I vote for the Neos. My daughters love it so much I am in the market for two more so they don't fight over it at the range.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:59 PM   #30
m_liebst

Quote:
No .22 to feed it, so what's the point?

I laugh too,.... but at last, I've stockpiled. Will see how the stock pole lasts!
I miss seeing CCI on shelves and in stock on line.
Old April 8, 2013, 05:07 PM   #31
weblance

The SR22P, Ruger Mark Series, Buckmarks, Bersa Thunder and Neos are all you will need to look at. These are the Best, of the Best. But none of those can do what the Neos can do... turn itself into a carbine. Something to consider...

Old April 8, 2013, 08:43 PM   #32
steveNChunter

Just bought a 22/45 target for my 5'2" wife who has very small hands and she absolutely loves it. We went to a gun show and she picked up every .22 pistol in the whole place (almost), and the 22/45 was her favorite. She liked the Lite version as well but said that she thought the weight of the target model would help steady her hands. She has only put about 150 rounds through it so far but she she's still happy with it and her accuracy is improving with practice. I can shoot 10 in one ragged hole with it at 25 yards and I'm sure the pistol is still accurate farther out than I am. I still prefer my MK III but it is heavier than the polymer framed 22/45 and too heavy for my wife to shoot comfortably. It goes to show a little weight one way or the other makes alot of different for small armed/handed shooters.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:52 AM   #33
Buckdown

Cant go wrong with a Ruger
Old April 9, 2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Pilot

Lots of good suggestions already. I have three Ruger MK II's, and one MK II era Ruger 22/45 which has a different grip angle than the traditional MK II/III and is polymer. So you see what I like.

What is the purpose of the pistol? Casual target shooting and plinking? Do you think she'll want to get more serious and shoot some competition? If so, the Rugers MK series are nice as they can grow with you with a few, easy modifications from companies like Volquartsen. If she wants something that will feel more like a centerfire pistol to go in that direction, a Ruger SR22 or even a 1911 style .22LR may be the way to go.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:09 PM   #35
Chris Van

I agree with everything said about the Rugers. However I'd have to disagree with the comments about the Walther. I have heard of one or two stories about the slide cracking but have NEVER actually seen one or know anyone that has seen one cracked. My wife has a Walther that her and my 9 year old son shoot more than anything. Just a fun little gun to shoot and the perfect gun for her and our son to practice or learn with.
Although I probably would have gotten the SR-22 had I not found the right deal on the Walther first. But that's just because I've always been a Ruger fan.
Old April 13, 2013, 02:15 PM   #36
Dragline45

Quote:
I agree with everything said about the Rugers. However I'd have to disagree with the comments about the Walther. I have heard of one or two stories about the slide cracking but have NEVER actually seen one or know anyone that has seen one cracked.
I have personally never seen one crack either, but my .22 pistols see alot of use. Where it might take me over a year to run 1000 rounds of 9mm through one of my guns, ill run 1000 rounds of .22LR through a pistol in 2 weeks easy, and have done it in one day. For this reason I prefer steel for my .22's, I really like the Ruger MK series pistols, I have a 22/45 and plan to get a MKIII hunter at some point.
Old April 13, 2013, 03:08 PM   #37
Death from Afar

+ 1 for the Neos.

They are super reliable, look unusual, take a red dot and fit your hands like a dream. I really rate them. (The chief cause of the "unreliable" claim) is the unusual take down nut. I tell folks its what you use to set it on "stun".
Old April 13, 2013, 03:47 PM   #38
rrabbit1960

I'd opt for a Ruger MkI or MkII but go for the shorter barrel to start-save the longer bull and target barrels for when she gains some experience. And yes I'm a fan of Rugers-own several.
Old April 14, 2013, 02:16 PM   #39
erob3

I will give another thumbs up for a Ruger, however, for the money I would stay with a later model MKI. I own several MKII's and the price on those continue to rise, with that said, there is little difference between a MKI and MKII other than a bolt catch on the MKII that keeps the receiver open after the last shot. If you decide on a Ruger get a Target model with adjustable rear sights, obviously you do all target shooting so that makes it all that much more enjoyable.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:37 PM   #40
bustersmaster

I vote for the Bersa, a really fun, accurate and reliable little gun. It always surprises me how many people seem to like the Neos. I bought a new 6" model a few years ago and was never able to hit much or sight it in. I finally gave up on it and traded it off.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:00 AM   #41
TailGator

Quote:
I bought a new 6" model [Neos] a few years ago and was never able to hit much or sight it in. I finally gave up on it and traded it off.
That's odd. Mine is quite accurate. Bummer that yours didn't perform well for you.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:55 AM   #42
Vermonter

SR 22

I am a big fan of this gun and it has preformed well within the parimiters of what I thought it would. It runs on everything and is accurate enough for pistol training. If you are working with silouetts or ringing steel this is the pistol for you. Also alot of fun to plink cans etc.

If you are wanting a gun to shoot the smallest groups on a paper target off a rest this might not be the 22 for you.

As a first pistol for a young lady I can't see it getting much better.

Regards, Vermonter
Old April 15, 2013, 01:29 PM   #43
saleen322

Ruger MK

You can't go wrong with a Ruger MK III or a used MK II. If you want to shoot competition later, get a trigger job and maybe a set of grips and the Ruger will shoot with any target pistol given ammo it likes. Also, because they are steel, they last pretty much forever and hold their value. Did I mention they shoot well?

Old April 15, 2013, 02:06 PM   #44
Pilot

Wow, nice shooting! What optic is that on your MK II?