The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 18, 2007, 12:01 PM   #51
Beckerich

just saying but wouldnt schools like that technically be perfect for terrorists wanting to get trained but not willing to go to palestine? Like IRA terrorists could go to the US, do that course and then be a good sniper?
Old March 20, 2007, 09:57 PM   #52
BanginMusket

I really appreciate you guys for posting those links. Now I know my options where to study firing.

Old April 4, 2007, 11:36 AM   #53
car15a2

Tactical Defense Institute in Ohio

I heartily endorse TDI. I've taken many of their courses over the last 4 years, several of them more than once. The instructors are all first rate, and the student/teacher ratio insures plenty of personal attention by multiple instructors. They are serious, but can manage to laugh at themselves.

The classes are well organized, there is no wasted time. Since I am running out of classes to take at TDI I am glad to find this forum and this list of professional tactical training schools. It is time to diversify my training.

I will attend a private tactical carbine class with Pat Goodale (in WV) on 4/21-22 and then back to TDI for their extreme close quarters class on 5/26-27. I have heard good things about Pat's training also. I will let you know how it goes.
Old April 21, 2007, 09:40 AM   #54
N4MGR

Charlotte, NC area

Here is one I found.

http://www.eaglerockts.com/index.html

There work out of Firepower in Matthews, even advertise for them on the website.

I bought my Sig P229 from Firepower, they are good people.

The Basic Handgun class is $75
The CCW class is $120

The other classes (to include tactical classes) you have to contact the school.
Old April 23, 2007, 10:43 AM   #55
car15a2

I just returned from a two day tactical rifle class taught by Pat Goodale of Practical Firearms Training in Alderson WV. http://www.pgpft.com/info.htm

This was a private class with only 10 students, and as such each of us received a lot of personal attention.

The first morning was lecture in the classroom, including demonstration of positions and various techniques for moving into and out of position, plus the function and use of a tactical rifle. It was a lot to absorb, but Pat supplies you with a detailed outline that serves to refresh your memory when you review the material. The afternoon started off with equipment checks and zeroing, follwed by several shooting drills.

Day two was the meat of the course, with a lot of movement to contact drills, conventional and unconventional shooting postions, use of cover, shooting on the move, moving targets, and combinations of all of these techniques.

Overall I found this class extremely useful and enjoyable, and overall challenging. I have taken other tactical courses before, so a lot of the material was familiar to me, but plenty of it was different than that I learned in the past. It is good to have different perpectives on how to solve the same problem, and then choose that which suits the individual best.

One of the most important lessons I learned was just how quickly ones skills deteriate without constant practice. My training budget has dropped significantly over the last 2-3 years, and while I shoot semi-regularly, I have not practiced many skills I had acquired at considerable expense, and have therefore lost the edge I once had. I know my shooting sessions must become more frequent and better planned to retain training, rather than simple fun shooting.

Pat is a no nonsense guy, but he works to make the class enjoyable as he puts you through some occasonally grueling workouts (at least for out of shape 50 somethings).

I know I will return to PFT, and I reccomend it to anyone, regardless of their former level of training.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:25 AM   #56
Johannes_Paulsen

Fire Institute ( http://www.fireinstitute.org/index.html ), operates in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania region (they don't have a fixed training location, although many of their classes are held at the Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, ( http://www.pmsconline.com/ ). Took a one-day handgun class there, was very impressed. Prices tend to be reasonable, too.

Last edited by Capt. Charlie; May 16, 2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Fixed links
Old June 27, 2007, 09:37 PM   #57
yasnevo

LMS Defense

Folks we are a mobile training team, you have a range we can travel to it. Worldwide. Our website is www.lmsdefense.com
We offer a wide range of classes from some really great instructors. We look forward to seeing you in classes.

Yancey Harrington
LMS Defense
Old August 14, 2007, 03:34 PM   #58
Mtnvalley3

I'll second the reco of TDI (Tactical Defense Institute in OH) upthread, but I note that their website was not listed. Heah'tis:

TDI

I've taken Handgun Lvs I-V there (taking VI in Oct), as well as Integrated Impact Weapons, Defensive Knife, and Field Emergency Medicine.
Old January 16, 2008, 07:58 PM   #59
Brian@ITC

Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC for those in Indiana. Actually, we are traveling across the US this year so look for us near you!
Ezekiel 33:5-6, Luke22:36
Marksmanship is a hopeful skill, FIGHTING skills are a must!
Old February 1, 2008, 06:37 AM   #60
predator86

are there any training centers in wisconsin??? i dont really have the time/money for travel expenses...be nice if there was one even a couple hours away
Old February 1, 2008, 02:35 PM   #61
davlandrum

Quick question - on the Wednesday Night on the Range, they had one of the schools that had developed a "hunting training" course. I thought it was Frontsite, but there is nothing about it on their site.

Anyone know what I am talking about??

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 15, 2008, 12:43 PM   #62
ProMarksmen

Professional Marksmen Inc. - Long Range Rifle Training

Hello everyone. I am the owner of Professional Marksmen Inc. and we specialize in Long Range Rifle instruction. We have 450 acres with a 1000 yard Known Distance Range, 1800 yard Unknown Distance Range, and a Tactical Shooting Area. We instruct all shooters, regardless of their experience and profession. Every day at the Neighbor Range Complex is a good day. We hope to see you sometime soon.

Here is a link to our February Newsletter:http://www.professionalmarksmen.com/...newsletter.pdf
www.professionalmarksmen.com
Old April 5, 2008, 08:52 PM   #63
even11

Here's a good one in CO

http://www.paradisefirearms.net/

Its a gun shop on half of it and a training school on the other half of the building.

They also run a whole lot more classes than the website shows.

-Dane
Old June 19, 2008, 10:14 PM   #64
BassBud

Presidio Defense (SC)

I have experienced numerous training exercises/courses at Presidio Defense (Upstate SC). Excellent instruction, good guys.

Their web site is: http://presidiodefense.com/
Old July 10, 2008, 01:43 AM   #65
travisdj

http://www.vickerstactical.com . Great courses, great instruction.
Old July 23, 2008, 09:06 PM   #66
Stone Cold

Tactical Defense Institute - West Union, Ohio

Great facilities, live fire houses, LEO instructors. John Brennan is well thought of among LE.
Old December 20, 2008, 05:20 AM   #67
maimai

Thanks every one ! Me and my son going there,we're from VIet Nam.I'm looking for good school for my son.This is a very nice thread. I'd like to learn as much of these schools.Every one have a good weekend 1
Old January 20, 2009, 10:12 AM   #68
ChrisFry

NY

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris Fry and I am the owner/operator of Modern Defensive Training Systems, LLC located in Upstate NY. Currently we utilize several local ranges & classrooms and our Mobile Training Team has conducted classes in NY, NJ, PA, CT, NV, FL, TN, MS, MA, NH and CAN.

Here is a downloadable PDF of our brochure for anyone interested or who might find themselves in NY:
http://www.mdtstraining.com/MDTSBrochure.pdf

Stop by the website if you get a chance to see what we have to offer.
http://www.mdtstraining.com

Thanks,
Chris Fry
Old February 14, 2009, 01:24 PM   #69
gunman

South Florida

www.floridafirearmstraining.com
Old February 22, 2009, 09:39 PM   #70
ranchman

Any in SW Colorado?
Old February 23, 2009, 10:19 AM   #71
TINCUP AL

Here's one in the Colorado Springs Area.

www.precisiondefensivess.net

http://www.precisiondefensivess.net/
Old March 15, 2009, 12:52 AM   #72
BoulderTroll

I saw that HSS International was listed on the front page of the Training Schools thread. I attended a 4 or 5 day HSS tactical medic school a few years ago and was very dissapointed. It seemed very half-a$$ed. Time management was poor, instruction was poor, facilities were also poor. The instructors were obviously knowlegable in their professions (tactical medics from Mil/ LE), but they were not very good at instructing.

On the other hand I am happy to recommend the International School of Tactical Medicine:

http://www.tacticalmedicine.com/

It's my understanding that these folks are what was once the Heckler and Koch Training Division. They offer a two week Basic and Advanced Tactical Medicine course in Palm Springs, CA. I have nothing but possitive things to say about them. The courses were extremely organized. The instructors were very knowledgable in their fields and could actually instruct well to boot (imagine that). The instructors come from varying backgrounds including tactical law enforcement, military special operations, and the medical field (trauma surgeons).

The course is a combination of live fire range with pistol and submachinegun, simunition/ airsoft scenarios, classroom and lab, etc. One of the excellent aspects of the course was the student body. The students had a diversified background including ER docs, SWAT cops, SF soldiers, SEAL, firefighters, private sector ambulance, military contractors, etc. This provided a great way to trade styles, ideas, and contact information between the students.

As you can tell by the title, the courses are very mission specific for medics of one kind or another. It's not a general weapons type school but if you're looking for this type of training I doubt there is much better in the world.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:48 PM   #73
GSE

Winchester, Virginia

Golden Seal Enterprises - Executive Security & Training Services.

www.goldensealenterprises.com

GSE offers a full range of firearms, NRA, CCW, PPS and VA DCJS courses.

GSE was founded in 1992 and is a veteran owned, small business that operates out of Winchester, Virginia

VA Department of Criminal Justice Services #11-5343 | #88-1476
Old May 22, 2009, 10:17 PM   #74
GunForHire

New Jersey Training Facility

Check out my Facility, I will be offering a discount to anyone who mentions this forum! www.GunForHire.com

Be Safe

Anthony
Old May 27, 2009, 01:20 PM   #75
Big Don

Check out FPF Training (http://www.fpftraining.com/) in Virginia. John Murphy is the owner/lead instructor. A former Marine who knows his stuff and knows how to teach it. You won't be disappointed.

Tags
carry , ccdw , ccky , concealed , kentucky