The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Ribbler

Newbie Reloading...

Hi all. I'm new to reloading - I know almost nothing about reloading. Why do you do it? Is it a hobby, does it save money or both? Something else? Does anybody know of any good internet sites that discuss the basics of reloading. Any help wold be appreciated. Thanks!
Old January 15, 2005, 05:18 PM   #2
wudjalike2no

both and accuracy and consistency

http://www.reload-nrma.com/
Old January 15, 2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Ribbler

Thanks....

Very helpful link. Looks fun and interesting. Where are the best places to buy the equipment? Any reccomendations? My first round will be a S&W .40. Thanks again!
Old January 15, 2005, 05:41 PM   #4
rn22723

Reloading will never save you money! It will allow for more bang for your buck! Too many people try to make reloading a chore. I consider it an enhancement to the shooting sports.

You need to get the ABC's of Reloading Place to Buy ABC's of Reloading

There is a cash outlay for equipment. And, like any hobby there are costs.

Here is an example of savings:

I load the equivalent of 45Ball for my HK USP's.
The costs in supplies run about 93 dollars per K of ammo. Whereas, the best price delivered of supplier is 175 per K. There is 82 dollars of savings.
I load lead swc for about 60 per K.

The ammo is customized for my shooting habits. I really shoot more when comes to 308.

Here is list from the Midway USA web site for needed equipment!
Recommended Products for the Beginning Reloader
(Rifle & Pistol)

Reloading Manual: Accurate Arms, A-Square, Barnes, Hodgdon, Hornady, Lapua, Lee, Lyman, Nosler, Sierra, SPG, Speer and Vihtavouri.
Press: Single Stage, Turret or Progressive
Dies
Shell holders (if the die set doesn't have them)
MidwayUSA 1292 Tumbler: Media, Polish, Sifter, Bucket and Clear Lid
MidwayUSA Loading Block (caliber specific)
MidwayUSA Case Lube (you won't need if using carbide dies)
Case Neck Brush
Dial Calipers: Stainless Steel or Electronic
Case Trimmer
MidwayUSA Deburring Tool
Primer Pocket Cleaner
Primer Tray
Priming Tool (if the press doesn't come with a primer attachment)
Powder Scale
Powder Funnel
Powder Trickler
Powder Measure (nice for faster powder charges)
MidwayUSA Bullet Puller
MidwayUSA CB/Plastic Ammo boxes and labels
Old January 15, 2005, 05:45 PM   #5
bill k

Most any reloading manual gives you the basics. This forum is excellent. I have many questions and get constant, verifiable, knowledgable answers to my questions. Reloading suppliers such as RCBS and Sierra have toll free numbers to call for help.
For me it's a hobby I love. You asked if you save money reloading? Yes, the price per bullet compared to factory ammo I guess a 50% savings. But, what you find out is you shoot ten times as much. So you actually spend more on supplies.
The big advantage for me is I get more accurate loads, I'm a much better shot. And when you hear people talking about how great of shot he or she is you can ask them if they used a cci, fed or ? type primer. If they don't know the answer smile and walk away.
Old January 15, 2005, 08:10 PM   #6
Doug242ti

Cheaper and better quality control. Plus, I'd rather spend an hour loading than stuffing my face watching TV (or lately, rather than working on my car).
Old January 16, 2005, 11:33 PM   #7
Nnobby45

Handloading is an enjoyable endeavor, and a hobby. I would not recommend it to save money, except maybe for much pistol shooting or lot's of shotgun shooting. You can load for about half, excluding the cost of cases, but it's true that the cost benefit usually translates to more shooting. You may even spend more money, but your cost per round will be less.
With handloading you have lots more versatility, but turning out ammo as good as factory pistol ammo (reliability wise) is difficult. Where rifle loading is concerned, you can out perform factory ammo in most cases if you know what you're doing. You can equal reliability and better performance, in other words. It's been my experience that a substantial number of handloaders have a higher opinion of their ammo than is supported by the evidence.

I talked an acquaintence into letting me run a mag full of Dillon (550B) loaded 9mm ammo thru his Uzi. I was using assorted range brass reloads. He was a little worried, but they worked without a hitch. Fair testimony to their quality. Get with a knowledgable individual who can teach you. There can be pitfalls for the inexperienced.
Old January 17, 2005, 08:39 AM   #8
k in AR

For (#1) accuracy and (#2) to relax....

May save money on components compared to factory loads, but if you were to actually consider my time (labor), I might be making a dollar or 2 an hour <L>.
Old January 17, 2005, 02:00 PM   #9
Ribbler

Thanks for all of your responses!

NNobby - why is it difficult to turn out pistol ammo that is as good as the factory?
Old January 17, 2005, 03:49 PM   #10
GLK

Ribbler I handload for a few reasons. I guess the main reason(other than I really enjoy it)is to never have to worry about having a particular load when and if needed. I handload for 8 different handgun calibers, however I shoot and load 10MM and 45colt more than any other. As a handloader I'll share my experiences with 40S&W. As cheap as factory ammo can be found unless your putting them through a nice strong wheel gun they are a real PITA for the return (ok now I feel better). The up side is that you can easily convert to a 10MM gun and use the same dies. I have the Lyman 4 die set(great set of dies imo)and use it exclusively for my 40S&W loading. Being a relatively short case the 40S&W is prone to pressure and bullet jump or setback issues if crimp and seating depth are not correct. These issues could be compounded in certain types of semi-auto chambers. I have handloaded 40,000+/- rds of handgun ammo, approx 15% being 40S&W with some being max! max! loads and have never encountered a straight walled handgun case that needed trimming. I think you'll find that you'll get little cracks at the case mouth way before your have length issues. Now a case tumbler is a piece of equipment I consider a must have. And by the way don't try to fool yourself, you'll never stop with the 40S&W once you start handloading .
Goodluck,
Gary
Old January 17, 2005, 11:37 PM   #11
Ribbler

GLK, How would you convert a .40 S&W into a 10 mm? Could I convert my SA XD 40 into a 10 mm? Why would I want to?
Old January 17, 2005, 11:59 PM   #12
GLK

I should have been more clear. I meant convert you the shooter not the gun. And the reason is the more 10MM shooters the better. or you can get one of these and shoot both.
Old January 18, 2005, 01:22 AM   #13
hivel37

Reloading probably will make you a better shot, since you will shoot more. Per round, it's cheaper, of course.

Save the line about saving money for the wife.
Old January 18, 2005, 02:05 AM   #14
Guy B. Meredith

Reasons for reloading include being able to create exactly the round and performance you want (I am not clear about the pistol factory vs reload statement above) and cost per round. I am reloading .38 spl revolver rounds with plated bullets for less than $4 per 50. These would cost $7.50 per 50 with commercial reloads or around $16 per 50 commercial. That would work out to $80 for 1000 for the reloads.

What you will need for reloading depends on what you are shooting. For handguns you can cut the above equipment list just drastically. The asterisks indicate "nice to have but not vital with canalured bullets":

Tumbler, sifter
Primer tray
Progressive press
Scale
Micrometer *
Bullet puller *
Recycled 50 round ammo trays from commercial boxes of ammo
Old January 18, 2005, 11:13 AM   #15
VonFatman

Lots of great reasons to reload...none will help you save for retirement!

I have found that I can generally out perform (accuracy-wise) factory ammo (I reload for handguns only at this time).

That was one of the suprises I got when I ran my first batch of 45 ACP thru several of my semi-autos. A nice benefit...but not real important to me since I do not do bench work, I generally shoot for fun and half-way decent groups.

But I shoot alot because I reload.

Lots of great reloading information on the web...lots of great books...lots of manufacture help out there too. Have fun.

Bob