The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2001, 01:41 AM   #1
saands

make .243 out of .308?

This should be an easy one ... can you make .243 brass out of .308 brass just by running it through the .243 resizer? Are there any issues with doing this same thing with the allegedly thicker mil-surp 7.62x51 brass?

Judging by the math the brass is likely to get 27% thicker ... or 15 mil brass will turn into 19 mil thick brass.

If this topic gets to the stage of neck turning, could you please describe the setup required to do that?

Thanks,
Saands
Old November 7, 2001, 01:52 AM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

yes, you can make 243 out of 308 brass, but as you mentioned, you are going to have some pretty thick case necks and I would recomend you use an outside neck turner for this purpose. Some may call this a lot of work, but if you have more time than money, it can be a project, provided you have the tools. I'm not sure that I would take it directly down to 243-might want to take it down in stages, or you may well be crushing a lot of cases!. I went the other way, making 308's out of some 243 Federal brass, and even though I had a 270 expander ball, it was some work to accomplish.
Old November 7, 2001, 09:09 AM   #3
Redneck2

There was a pretty extensive article in Handloader

A couple of issues back. Suggestion when necking down was to first use the seater die before the sizing die. Seaters usually have a larger opening.

I have an outside neck turner from Sinclair. Have no idea how it compares to others..this is the only one I've tried.

Neck will thicken and case will grow lengthwise.
Old November 7, 2001, 01:02 PM   #4
Jeeper

My question is why? 243 brass is so cheap anyway. DO you have some ungodly ammount of 308? I load a bunch of wildcat stuff and it sometimes becomes a pain in the ass changing the configurations of the brass. Going up is usually easier that going down in calibers.
Old November 7, 2001, 09:22 PM   #5
saands

Why?

Well ... I have a Garand that produces copious quantities of .308 brass, so that was the motivating factor for asking. If it were a matter of just zinging them through the 243 sizing die, then the appropriate question would have been "Why not?" ... as complicated and time consuming as it sounds, however, I think I will be purchasing .243 brass and not dealing with it ... I definitely have better things to spend my time on than turning the necks of brass!

Thanks for the feedback!
Saands
Old November 9, 2001, 12:36 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It might not work as a one-step deal; to avoid crushing cases, it might be necessary to go from .308 to 7mm08 and then down to .243...

FWIW, Art
Old November 9, 2001, 12:38 PM   #7
Jeeper

You also might want to heat treat the necks afterwards. I have seen some really cool neck heat treating devices in sinclair(I Think)
Old July 21, 2002, 12:05 AM   #8
MeekAndMild

Any more recent words of wisdom on this subject? I just spent some time in the garage converting perfectly good .308 brass to useless garbage. It looks so easy but it ain't.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.