The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 18, 2018, 08:52 PM   #51
9mm

I own 14 rimfire guns, 3 are rifles and rest are pistols. There is already 3 or 4 more I want within the next year. Rimfire is so cheap to shoot!
Old April 18, 2018, 09:15 PM   #52
223 shooter

Quote:
Has everyone who frequents this web-site forsaken their .22 rimfire firearms for center-fire? Help me understand, or at least "tell me to get lost".
I for one won't tell you to get lost! Seems like most of the really dedicated 22 pistol shooters I know are much more into target shooting rather than combat shooting. At the range I frequent most often I rarely see anyone fire a centerfire handgun at more than 7 yards with the exception of handgun hunters.

While I also enjoy defensive pistol shooting I probably get a lot more satisfaction of shooting a nice 25 or 50 yard target with a 22lr.
Old April 19, 2018, 04:05 PM   #53
SPEMack618

I shot small bore all through high school and college. I use to work for the Boy Scouts, where I taught the rifle merit badge. A lot.

The next time I want to shoot a .22 LR firearm is if my sister asks me to teach her kid how to shoot.
Old April 19, 2018, 09:44 PM   #54
Armed_Chicagoan

I've been searching in vain the last 2 weeks for the case I transport my Ruger MkII in. I wouldn't care so much except it contains all 4 of my magazines for that gun, and it has seemingly been swallowed by a black hole. I'm beginning to think it's gone for good somehow and I'll have to buy new mags.
Old April 19, 2018, 10:07 PM   #55
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Chicagoan View Post
I've been searching in vain the last 2 weeks for the case I transport my Ruger MkII in. I wouldn't care so much except it contains all 4 of my magazines for that gun, and it has seemingly been swallowed by a black hole. I'm beginning to think it's gone for good somehow and I'll have to buy new mags.
Look at it on the bright side - you could tell your wife the mags are lost therefore it makes more sense to buy a new gun.
Old April 20, 2018, 07:14 AM   #56
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Chicagoan View Post
That's a bummer.

I wish Ruger still sold those things ... the MK IV comes with a snazzy cardboard box!
Old April 21, 2018, 10:32 PM   #57
3Crows

I have quite a few RF pistols, revolvers and rifles. I began buying large amounts of 22 ammo long before the shortage as in several decades before. I always have and still do grab a box or two or whatever at every opportunity, always have. Of course one outing can burn through quite a bit. I have a lot of 22 ammo. I do not sell it though I did give some away in the heart of the shortage to needy friends or trade.

I think the shortage and subsequent greedy gouging or vice versa did some harm to the 22 fan club and hurt interest in the round perhaps permanently. But 22 will be here until the end of time or the next geologic age, I have no doubt that it will remain very popular and contrary to many, I find it a useful and fun round.

3C
Old April 21, 2018, 11:28 PM   #58
jimbob86

Quote:
Has everyone who frequents this web-site forsaken their .22 rimfire firearms for center-fire?
Nope..... The shortage is over, so I shoot as much or more .22lr as any other caliber (though the cost differential has closed up quite a bit) .... I shoot lots of .22lr ..... I also breathe, eat and poop every day ..... yet don't feel compelled to discuss the play by play of these mundane activities with all of you fine folk......
Old April 22, 2018, 12:02 AM   #59
jimbob86

Quote:
.22s are not manly, nor are they tactical, therefore beneath notice of we Hard Duty Operators (TM).
Ummmmm ......nope gotta disagree about "manly" ( all practical guns are "manly" because ..... it's a GUN! and there ARE practical applications for the .22lr) .... and there are tactical applications for the .22lr, particularly when suppressed....and I suspect that 99.9% of professed "Hard Duty Operators"are only honestly earnestly operating a keyboard.......
Old April 22, 2018, 12:12 AM   #60
jimbob86

..... and upon reflection, the "manly" thing? The Pinnacle of Manliness is in fact being an Admirable Father to your Children. You won't truly know you've won those Laurels until you see your Children teaching your Grandchildren the lessons you taught them. "It takes a Man to be a Dad." That said, the vast majority of my Very Best Days with my kids almost always included, in one form or another, the .22lr cartridge.
Old April 22, 2018, 02:25 AM   #61
10-96

Well said Jimbob86, well said.

Ever since this thread opened up, I had some idea of saying something about the waning skill of shooting while standing on one's hind legs (or however Col. Cooper put it). Regardless of caliber or case type, to know your firearm and to shoot it well- and to be able to pass those skills on- is indeed quite a manly and noble thing.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 22, 2018, 07:56 AM   #62
GarandTd

When I bring home a new gun, the kids are curious. When that new gun fires 22lr, they are interested.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:05 AM   #63
Spats McGee
Staff

I took a quick count. I have four .22s, three of which are definite shooters, and one of which I haven't decided if I'm going to shoot it yet. (It's a Ducks Unlimited edition Marlin Model 60.) I've also decided that I'm in the market for another. This time I need a .22 bolt gun. I don't have one of those yet.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:37 AM   #64
jmorris

I own more .22’s than anything else. That said I hang out in reloading forums mostly and there’s not a lot to say about .22’s in them.

Might try here if you are a .22 junky.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Old April 23, 2018, 10:50 AM   #65
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
This time I need a .22 bolt gun. I don't have one of those yet.
Get a CZ. You will never, ever regret it.
Old April 23, 2018, 03:13 PM   #66
Rifletom

What Evan Thomas just typed. Get a CZ. I've been eyeing the CZ 455 Trainer. I could get along with one real well.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:16 PM   #67
bamaranger

most

I'd speculate that .22 lr is the caliber I shoot most......informal practice here at the house, mostly these days with scoped rifle. My .22 shooting ebbed a bit when the ammo crunch hit, but we're back in business now.

We have a cow bell target up at 100 yds, and two rifles zeroed specifically "on" at 100 yds, one scoped the other not. The bell is in much less danger these days from me with the peep sighted Moss 44US, but I still manage some hits.
We've also worked out how to hold "on" with the picket post of a duplex reticle and a 2-7x variable scope on a Ruger 77/22. Although zeroed on at 50, at about 4.5x, the picket post yields hits at 100 if held on the bell. We occasionally take the bell over to the neighbors hay field, and set it out 200 yds plus. That is a hoot as well.

Those cowbell targets have jumped in price, but they are fun.......
Old April 23, 2018, 06:41 PM   #68
Spats McGee
Staff

The CZs certainly look nice, but they’re also considerably pricier than the RAR or the Savages I’ve been eying.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:58 PM   #69
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM
The CZs certainly look nice, but they’re also considerably pricier than the RAR or the Savages I’ve been eying.
The CZ 452 could shoot some shockingly small groups. I have no first-hand experience of the 455, but I understand the trigger to be inferior. I have a BRNO 2500, a CZ 452 variant, and it isn't the sort of thing I would take out in the rain. It's too nice. Maybe it's like that Marlin you don't know about shooting.

I don't regard the RAR I bought for my daughter the same way. It's waterproof (plastic stock), replaceable, has a good trigger, is less accurate than the CZ but much more accurate than I shoot offhand. My only gripe is the stiff bolt operation. CZ bolt can be a bit stiff too. The last savage I shot was easy and quick.

I think Ruger got a lot right on the RAR. Good luck deciding.
Old April 23, 2018, 07:21 PM   #70
3Crows

The CZ has great quality no doubt but either of my Savage 22 bolts or my Marlin 17 HMR will hang with anything for accuracy.

A CZ is of course on my wish list, I like the combo set. Nice rig.

J
Old April 23, 2018, 07:35 PM   #71
TheGunGeek

I have two, a Ruger 10/22 target model which serves the Appleseed "Liberty Training Rifle" role, and a Mark IV target pistol in stainless with threaded barrel, which I use to introduce friends to shooting.

.22 is cheap, and is the way to go with starting new shooters.
Old April 23, 2018, 07:36 PM   #72
WheelGunMan

I have a Ruger 10/22 vintage 1970 that has taken a fair amount of game and provided countless hours of plinking pleasure. A Marlin .22lr carbine from the late 80's. The I moved into .22WMR with a Marlin 883SS bolt action which is a flat shooting wonder that has become my favorite varmint slayer. And of course my LCR .22WMR which I'm thinking of trading for a LCRx 3" in the same caliber.

.22 is a fun caliber.
Old April 24, 2018, 10:46 AM   #73
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
The CZ 452 could shoot some shockingly small groups. I have no first-hand experience of the 455, but I understand the trigger to be inferior. I have a BRNO 2500, a CZ 452 variant, and it isn't the sort of thing I would take out in the rain. It's too nice. Maybe it's like that Marlin you don't know about shooting.

I don't regard the RAR I bought for my daughter the same way. It's waterproof (plastic stock), replaceable, has a good trigger, is less accurate than the CZ but much more accurate than I shoot offhand. My only gripe is the stiff bolt operation. CZ bolt can be a bit stiff too. The last savage I shot was easy and quick.

I think Ruger got a lot right on the RAR. Good luck deciding.
My wife’s CZ455 has an obnoxiously stiff bolt when using CCI branded ammo (Quiets/SV/Minimags). It goes in hard and comes out even harder. It’s like butter with Federal ammo though. No idea why, but it just gets Federal now.
Old April 24, 2018, 02:33 PM   #74
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09
My wife’s CZ455 has an obnoxiously stiff bolt when using CCI branded ammo (Quiets/SV/Minimags). It goes in hard and comes out even harder. It’s like butter with Federal ammo though. No idea why, but it just gets Federal now.
The CZ .22 bolt rifles are notorious for having ever-so-slightly undersized chambers and barrels, to the point where they can be impossible to clean with a standard .22 cleaning rod. I finally settled on a .17 cleaning rod with .20 jags for cleaning my 452.

I've never run into the "stiff-bolt" issue you describe, but given the cleaning issue, I can believe that some .22 cases might be a better fit than others.
Old April 24, 2018, 04:24 PM   #75
Mal H
Staff

That's an interesting problem I hadn't heard of so I thought I would see if any of my CCI .22's were slightly larger than other brands. I used a high quality micrometer (not a dial caliper) and found that CCI cases were at or slightly below the average size of the other brands I checked.

CCI (Stinger and Blazer) ran 0.2228 to 0.2231 in diameter.
Lapua Multi-Match was also in the 0.2231 range.
Federal Gold Match was the same - 0.2231
Various Winchester and Remington ran a bit larger with the largest being 0.2234.

Now, that's only measuring the ammo I have, not the ammo Areoflyer09 has, so the data is of the for-what-it's-worth variety. Maybe something else is going on with his CZ other than oversized .22 cases.

I would think that most manufacturers use the same case forming machinery for all varieties of their ammo.