The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 2, 2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Kimio

Left eye dominant but strong with right hand?

So I’ve always done things with my right hand, and I learned to shoot with my right hand (since it is what has come naturally to me).

However, while performing my annual qualifications with my rifle, my instructor suggested I test to see which eye was dominant for me.

Now I don’t know for certain if the method he suggested was accurate since it has never occurred to me that I may need to do such a test (shape both hands to form a triangle and center an object within it, close one eye and then the other. Whichever eye keeps the object centered is your dominant eye?)

Based upon that test, he went on suggesting that I start learning to shoot left handed if at all possible.

Does using your dominant eye make that huge of a difference when trying to take accurate shots? I qualified just fine using my right eye all these years, and I could barely hit much of anything when I shifted to my weak arm. Granted with enough practice, I’m sure I’d improve.
Old February 2, 2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Tom-R2

I'm left handed, but carry and shoot right handed. I've never had problems with qualifications, but now that I'm older and retired, I am starting to have difficulties with a cataract on my right eye that's making things more difficult. I made it through my most recent LEOSA requals without a problem, but I found myself still shooting right, but shifting my hold over (with pistols) to my left eye that is still quite sharp and focused. The close up shots were fine, but I used my left eye for the longer shots that needed the sights used. The eye doc says it's not bad enough to have taken out yet, so I'm dealing with it. I sent my slide off of my Glock 23c off to have a RMR red dot mounted, I think that may help by letting me more easily keep both eyes open. I'll see if it works well enough to justify the $$$ spent. Hopefully it will be back next week sometime and I can go try it out. For a rifle, I have a red dot on my AR, but I can't see the fixed sights through it using my right eye and I've never shot it left handed.
Old February 2, 2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
....Based upon that test, he went on suggesting that I start learning to shoot left handed if at all possible.

Does using your dominant eye make that huge of a difference when trying to take accurate shots? I qualified just fine using my right eye all these years, and I could barely hit much of anything when I shifted to my weak arm. Granted with enough practice, I’m sure I’d improve.
This has come up before, and I responded to your similar questions in this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin

Quote:
While attempting to do some dry fire drills and practice keeping both eyes open with open sights, I found that I have a significantly easier time focusing my left eye over my right.

I'm right hand dominant, so I found this interesting....
Roughly 30% of the population is cross dominant. That's pretty much been our experience in our monthly NRA Basic Handgun classes.

Here's an easy way to test for eye dominance.

Quote:
...should start training by shooting with my left hand ...
Yes, but not because of eye dominance. One should ideally be able to shoot with either hand.

Quote:
...How crucial would you say would it be for me to shoot with my dominant eye? Is this just unfamiliarity perhaps, and I should be able to "train" my right eye to be able to focus on my irons?...
There are advantages to shooting with both eyes open -- depth perception and wider field or vision. And you will want to use your dominant eye to align the sights, because it will take over anyway. Fortunately, this in manageable with a handgun.

One of our instructors is cross dominant (right hand/left eye). He brings his pistol up and, with his head erect, turns his head slightly to the right so his left eye aligns the sights. Since I'm right eye dominant, I do the same sort of thing (except turning my head slightly to the left, now that I've learned the trick from him) when I shoot with my non-dominant (left) hand.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old February 2, 2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Whistlebritches

I'm predominately right handed but absolutely left eye dominant.I did a very similar eye dominance test in the military,they do it to anyone who shoulders a rifle left handed.With a rifle/shotgun you'll definitely benefit from the left side provided you have the dexterity in your left hand.I shoot long guns and pool left handed but shoot pistols,darts,throw a ball,bowl and most everything else right handed.As for pistols I have always shot combat style......sights irrelevant.I choose pistols that feel like an extension of my arm so as I said sights are unnecessary.

Good luck
Old February 3, 2018, 01:32 AM   #5
diverwcw

Cross eye dominance is not a problem. Back in the day, they used to teach people who were cross eye dominant to shoot with their support hand. Now they tell them to turn their head a little and bring in their shooting hand a little, both will meet in the middle.

FWIW - I've been told that in baseball, the big hitters (lots of hits, homeruns and high batting average) are cross eye dominant. That brings their dominant eye closer to the pitcher.
Old February 3, 2018, 07:04 AM   #6
JJ45

I have the same "problem" I never knew it was a problem until the "experts" said it was and consequently never did anything to adjust to this so called problem...I do believe that my eyes/technique naturally adapted to what I was trying to do which was to hit a target with a firearm

I shoot very well and certainly as good or better than shooters with normal hand/eye technique.

My suggestion is to go out and shoot with both eyes open. Your dominant eye will take over naturally and you may notice you tilt your head slightly to the right. Evaluate and see how it goes....

It works for me but everyone is VERY different in their physiology, eyesight, etc.
Old February 3, 2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Kimio

@Frank Ettin

I completely forgot about that post that I made a long time ago.

Appreciate it.
Old February 3, 2018, 05:24 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

A friend is right handed but left eye dominate. He'd turn his head to the right to shoot but this didn't stop him from winning quite a few pistol competitions. I don't recall if he closed one eye to shoot or not.
Old February 4, 2018, 10:33 AM   #9
NHSHOOTER

I have a grandson who is right handed but left eye dominant and I cant get him to hold a rifle left handed to make it work. Any suggestions on how to help him, he gets very frustrated..
Old February 4, 2018, 01:12 PM   #10
RolandD

I'm left eye dominant, but barely. If I focus on the sights, the target is doubled, and vice-versa. I just close my left eye.