The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 1, 2017, 12:38 PM   #1
rebs

Ballistol oil stinks bad

Is there anything else that can be used to make patch lube other than Ballistol oil ?
Old November 1, 2017, 01:13 PM   #2
FrontierGander

lol you dont like that stinky stuff after all?

It reminds me of bug spray.

Alcohol and a little gun oil at the end of every cleaning will do the job.
Old November 1, 2017, 02:06 PM   #3
rodwhaincamo

He's wanting to substitute Ballistol in a patch lube.

I haven't tried it as a patch lube yet, but did make up some moose milk to try.

I like everything about it (except for availability) including the smell.
Old November 1, 2017, 02:11 PM   #4
NINEX19

I agree with you, it does stink. I still use it though as I am convinced of what it does and do not like the chemical solvents and petroleum based oils.

Years ago, I bought a used revolver that was last cleaned with something that smelled like licorice (anise). I would like to be able to identify what that was if anyone has any idea. It might be a good substitute for you. It smelled great.
Old November 1, 2017, 02:28 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

In the olden days, BP shooters kept their patches in their mouths.
Ballistol is more of a cleaner than a lube. It dissolves BP.
Old November 1, 2017, 04:15 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Years ago, I bought a used revolver that was last cleaned with something that smelled like licorice (anise). I would like to be able to identify what that was if anyone has any idea.
That's what Ballistol smells like. I hate it.
Old November 1, 2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Pahoo

Better choices on patch lubes, you call

Quote:
Is there anything else that can be used to make patch lube other than Ballistol oil
There are numerous patch lubes on the market and yes, I suppose you can use Ballistol. You have not stated whether or not, you are cutting it down or using full strength. I only use it primarily for cleaning BP and replacement propellants. I use a mixture 50/50 mineral spirits and Ballistol. It does cut down on the stink.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 1, 2017, 06:35 PM   #8
rebs

as per Dutch Schoultz mix 1 part ballistol oil to 7 parts water, cut your patching material into strips and soak them in the mixture, then strip the excess out by running between two fingers and lay them on a non absorbent pan over night. The water will evaporate leaving just enough ballistol oil as a patch lube. The patch material should feel almost dry. Use small amount of moose milk to wipe the barrel between shots.
When you mix it stinks bad. After the patches have sat over night there is hardly no smell at all.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:09 PM   #9
B.L.E.

Black powder smoke stinks pretty bad also. I don't mind the odor of Ballistol.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:59 PM   #10
Dufus

I have used Crisco, Gun Grease, Axle Grease, Bore Butter, a few others that don't come to mind right away, and slobber.

Don't stick a patch lubed with axle grease in your mouth.
Old November 1, 2017, 08:14 PM   #11
B.L.E.

I don't stick the patches in my mouth anyhow. Mostly because one of my favorite patch materials is those 25 pound Lawrence brand shot bags that shotgun BBs come in. Very tightly woven cotton duck that's about .025" thick. But they once held lead shot so I don't stick them in my mouth.
They are essentially free to me, so I use them up as patching. If you shoot as much registered trap as I do, you tend to acquire a lot of empty shot bags. Beats throwing them away.
Old November 1, 2017, 08:52 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
Black powder smoke stinks pretty bad also. I don't mind the odor of Ballistol.
I'm the other way around. I don't mind bp smell or even Pyrodex but I can't deal with Ballistol.
Old November 1, 2017, 09:00 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Napa Auto sells a milk like cutting/cooling lube used in CNC lathing and manual lathe machining. Doesn't stink as bad as Ballistol but lubes a barrels patch just as good when diluted with H2O so I've read.
Old November 2, 2017, 12:03 AM   #14
rodwhaincamo

https://ballistol.com/about-us/
Old November 2, 2017, 03:09 AM   #15
tranders

I don't mind the smell of Ballistol, but I like black licorice.
Old November 2, 2017, 08:50 AM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hot soapy water, and it's cheaper too. But hey, I still have Ballistol.
Old November 2, 2017, 10:59 AM   #17
rodwhaincamo

I don't use it to clean either (water and dish soap). I love Ballistol as it will mix with water but allow it to evaporate leaving behind just the oil to lubricate and preserve my guns. And that it works well with wood (and many other things) is a plus to me.

I also was told, and tested, that it can be applied to a gun you won't have time to clean when you get home. The idea is that the fouling absorbs the oil leaving no room for moisture. I tested this on two revolvers leaving them in my hot and humid Texas garage for two days and found it indeed does work. A nice trick I think.
Old November 2, 2017, 11:30 AM   #18
ocharry

lol,,,yep it smells like dirty socks to me,,,,but i use it on my BPCG guns straight and it works great for cleaning up the black powder and lead,,,,never a speck of rust anywhere for over 20 years on the big gun trail

as for the smell of black powder,,,,i just love that,,,,ahhh the smell of the HOLY BLACK IN THE MORN,,,nothing like it

ocharry
Old November 2, 2017, 12:03 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
I also was told, and tested, that it can be applied to a gun you won't have time to clean when you get home. The idea is that the fouling absorbs the oil leaving no room for moisture. I tested this on two revolvers leaving them in my hot and humid Texas garage for two days and found it indeed does work. A nice trick I think.
I live in south Mississippi and I can do that without doing anything.
Old November 2, 2017, 07:56 PM   #20
bn12gg

Mineral oil. I've used it for years on all my guns. It doesn't harm wood, a huge plus imo.

.02. David.

Ps -- sniff, sniff -- sort of like it !
Old November 2, 2017, 08:49 PM   #21
Model12Win

I think it's got a sweet, earthy licorice smell. It's actually grown on me a whole lot.

Yes there are MANY alternative patch lubes. Near any natural animal or plant fat, for starters.
Old November 3, 2017, 10:20 AM   #22
rodwhaincamo

Quote:
I live in south Mississippi and I can do that without doing anything.
I had taken my muzzleloader along with two revolvers to the range and ended up staying all day. I cleaned up my revolvers and left the rifle 'til morning as I had read of a couple of CAS shooters claiming they didn't clean their guns immediately. The next morning I spent hours trying to get the patches clean freaking out thinking I ruined my barrel that quickly. And my rifle was stored indoors where the humidity certainly isn't as high. That barrel was in bad shape in just about 12 hours.
Old November 3, 2017, 11:02 AM   #23
drobs

Reminds me I need to order some Ballistol. Anyone have any favorite places to order it from?

I use a generic windex watered down with water to clean my revolvers followed by WD40.

When home, I'll shoot C&B revolvers almost everyday for a week and then clean them. Store them in my unheated uncooled garage. No issues yet.
Old November 3, 2017, 11:46 AM   #24
rodwhaincamo

Quote:
When home, I'll shoot C&B revolvers almost everyday for a week and then clean them. Store them in my unheated uncooled garage. No issues yet.
I assume you forgo any form of wipe down or application of anything?

What type of powder(s) are you using?

The powder my rifle had been fed was Pyrodex, which I know is more corrosive than about anything else, but BP isn't exactly worry-free. Triple 7 on the other hand isn't anywhere near as bad as either according to the test that was down comparing the 3 after several days in a garage. With as bad as my barrel was after 1/2 a day indoors I'd assume BP would also have begun to rust as well.
Old November 3, 2017, 12:06 PM   #25
drobs

rodwhaincamo-
Graf's Schuetzen FFFg topped with a wonder wad, a dab of bore butter, then ball.