The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
AdamSean

New summer carry: NAA Guardian .380

After going around and around trying to find a good holster for my Kahr CW9, I just went ahead and bought a new pocket carry gun. And since I have been wanting one for a long time, I bought me a NAA Guardian .380. I love the heavier weight of the Guardian over the Ruger LCP, which was my second choice. I am hoping the extra weight will aid in less recoil for the tiny gun. The only downside that is a deal breaker for some people is the really heavy trigger. I really don't mind that so much. To me, it doesn't feel all that different than a Smith & Wesson 642. And after a little polishing, it is super smooth.

I didn't like the extended magazine so I trimmed it off to a flat base plate, but that is just a personal preference for me. I really like all the personalizing you can do with it too. I plan on getting some wood grips and a slide that has the scalloped serrations on the front as well as the rear. Possibly having some night sights dovetailed in the slide as well. Some may think this gun is ugly, but I find it as sexy as a Walther PPK.

I will be making a trip to the range tomorrow morning for a test run and to see which HP ammo it prefers. Range report to come. And to find me a good holster for it other than the cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Old April 8, 2013, 10:31 AM   #2
shouldazagged

I've used the Uncle Mike's pocket hoster for going on thirteen years to carry a J-frame, and it's done very well for me. When they get a little threadbare (but still serviceable) I replace them--I think I'm on my third. But recently several people on one of the forums suggested I try the Desantis Nemesis. I did, and I like it. It's not a great fit in every pocket, so I've kept the Uncle Mike's. But it holds the gun very securely indexed for the draw, the outside grips the pocket well, and the inside is slick. The gun won't move and is easy to draw.

The Nemesis is almost as inexpensive as the Uncle Mike's, but in my opinion inexpensive isn't the same as cheap in either case.
Old April 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
AdamSean

The only thing I don't like about the Uncle Mike's and DeSantis Nemesis is the thick material makes my leg sweat and then rubs a raw spot. I am thinking of a Stellar Rig kydex with a magazine on board model. Its a tough call. I have also had a kydex IWB make me sweat. Maybe the answer is to just use some Glide or powder where my pockets are to keep from chaffing. Because I also like the Remora with the Magazine compartment. Cheap and fast turnaround. I like Remora holsters. I have one for an old Nano and it worked great IWB and pocket. Its just difficult to find a kydex holster for the NAA Guardian.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

Strictly from a quality perspective, they are probably one of the best made pocket pistols out there. Solid and reliable. The Guardian 380 & 32 are pretty good looking, too.

I have two of them with 10 mags between them and I almost never carry them.

They are heavy and recoil is more snappy than a 38 snub. The straight blowback design does it a disservice. A word about the wood grips... It makes 'em thicker.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:51 PM   #5
m_liebst

Great compact piece. I understand that it's designed mainly for it's compactness/ conceal.,..... but what are we looking at for service life and ruggedness? Is this a 2-3 k worth of rounds type firearm?
Old April 8, 2013, 03:01 PM   #6
AdamSean

These pocket guns are designed to be fired little and carried a lot. But, that said, I have heard great service life out of the NAA Guardians.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Armybrat

Those neat little NA handguns are made like Swiss watches. My guardian is in .32 ACP. I'd like to add one of their new .22 Magnum "Sidewinders" to my collection.