The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2009, 07:49 PM   #26
JerseyDrez

Just went to the range today and put 110rds through my 88, functioned flawlessly. I did it purposely to see how it would function with so many rounds and in so little time. Went through all of them in less than 15mins. Instead it got hot as hell, but fired and ejected smooth.

AND I threw on my friends 28'' Accuchoke barrel as Im in the midst of trading my barrel with another forum member. I cant believe how accurate that thing was, slugs were hitting wherever you pointed it at 25yds (farthest location at indoor range). I cant wait to get mine.
Old October 16, 2009, 07:50 PM   #27
JerseyDrez

Oh, and I could care less about my 88's safety. I dunno why so many people get their panties in a twist over it. Works fine for me.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:03 PM   #28
TxGun

???

Well, of course the safeties do not interchange...that's a completely different design and a minor machining difference. But the base receiver dimensions are the same. As I said, all other parts, with the exception of the safety and the forend assembly, are 100% interchangeable.

The weight, which you stated earlier favors the 500 by an additional pound, actually falls slightly (by 1/4 #) to the 88 for the same configuration (18 1/2" barrel, synthetic stock)...at least according to the 2009 catalog. How does that happen?

Read the article I posted. As of 2006, according to this article, all receivers are produced in New Haven..."not tooled up in two different countries". Triggers, bolt assemblies, and some barrels, are built in Mexico and assembled in Eagle Pass. I don't believe receivers for commercial guns can legally be manufactured in Mexico under their laws. BTW, Eagle Pass is the primary assembly point for Mossberg guns....all of them.

Tell you what. We'll see what Mossberg says. Or, send them an email yourself and see what response you get.

I stand by my position on this until Mossberg says it's wrong.

Last edited by TxGun; October 16, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:27 PM   #29
TxGun

The receiver, where the serial # is typically found, is considered the firearm by our BATF in all those cases. I suspect the Mexican government sees it similarly.
Old October 18, 2009, 03:20 PM   #30
sullyaz

Mavericks or Mossberg -look at the warranty

I have been considering purchasing a Maverick this year, given that they [Iseem by all accounts to be Mossbergs. Then I looked the Mossberg Catalog (granted it was last year's so this may have changed). I noticed that the Mossbergs had a 10 year limited warranty and the Mavericks had a 1 year warranty....Maybe that should tell anyone something about the quality of a Maverick versus a Mossberg...I'd spend the extra $50 or $100 bucks to get a firearm that will at least have the warranty, if you should need it.
Old October 18, 2009, 03:38 PM   #31
INMY01TA

While that is true ^^ I can't see ever needing the warranty with my Maverick. I have total confidence in it. Very simple in design. All that considered, I'd still buy another.
Old October 19, 2009, 12:00 AM   #32
sullyaz

Mossberg

There are deals to be had on Mossbergs. Got a killer deal today bought a new Mossberg 500 28/18 1/2 inch combo barrel set. Kind of like having a hunting and a home defense shotgun...out the door under $300
Old October 19, 2009, 11:50 AM   #33
TxGun

The shorter warranty is part of the Mossberg's cost savings equation on the Maverick. They couldn't offer virtually an identical gun at less cost without trimming cost somewhere. For example: you do not get the extra pistol grip included as part of the security line; you only get 1 choke tube (mod) instead of the accu-set as part of the field line; you get a shorter warranty, etc. They trim all the "extras" away on the Maverick. It's bare-bones...their "value package".
Some like the choice; some don't.
Old October 19, 2009, 03:22 PM   #34
INMY01TA

Also Walmart carries Mavericks for cheap. Usually they only have the field model but I've read they have the security in their computer. If you ask I believe they can order it for you. At their prices they are almost disposable. Great deal on that combo sullyaz by the way.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:26 PM   #35
minniedog2

i would go with the 500 I have a couple and like them
Old October 26, 2009, 05:36 PM   #36
cdnbacon

Realistically, the main differences between the 500 and maverick, as stated above, are the position of the safety and the forend setup. If you prefer a crossbolt over a tang safety or vice versa, choose accordingly. If you aren't planning on changing the forend from the factory plastic, then the maverick is fine. If you are planning to change to a wood forend or to a surefire forend light etc, then the maverick will require some extra work making it less cost effective. I have not owned a maverick but those pins that hold the TWO action bars to the forend look plenty strong to me.