The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 5, 2018, 05:42 AM   #1
JJ45

"AR" Experts Question

I have noticed that a lot of shooters build their own "ARs"

My question is a simple one....How long would it take to build an "AR" if you had all the required parts and tools in front of you?
Old November 5, 2018, 06:16 AM   #2
jonnyc

Assuming you don't lose a part........30 minutes. I take my time and can go a bit longer. Usually 5 minutes of "find-the-spring" time added.
Old November 5, 2018, 06:40 AM   #3
imashooter

I'd say a solid hour if you include installing a lower parts kit. If I include a lpk, it'd be closer to 2 hours from parts to functioning AR. I reckon I go slow and easy. But my norm is more like a half day without a lpk. Take my time, clean, examine, lube parts, do a little trial fitting, etc.
Old November 5, 2018, 06:42 AM   #4
Mobuck

"How long would it take to build an "AR" if you had all the required parts and tools in front of you?"

With an uncluttered work area, tools/parts laid out(extra spare parts so I don't waste time looking for those I drop), and brain fully engaged--maybe 30 minutes but definitely 45 from start to BANG. I usually "batch assemble" lowers and uppers at different times rather an entire rifle end to end.
Old November 5, 2018, 11:30 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

I think it's possible to slap one together - especially if using a delta ring and clam shell handguards - in 30 minutes or less.
But, with some more care and attention, it's still a job that can easily be completed in less than an hour with no apprentice marks or Bubba damage from rushing.

My last upper used an AR Stoner free float tube, which didn't play nicely at all (and I won't buy another). Even so, the job was done in less than 30 minutes.
The last lower that I assembled only took about 25 minutes.
If I didn't live in the middle of a neighborhood, I could have gone from 'parts' to 'bang' in an hour - including fiddling with that stupid free float tube.

But, as imashooter said, one should always inspect and test fit the hodgepodge of parts before slapping everything together. Doing so properly takes time.
Old November 5, 2018, 11:58 AM   #6
MarkCO

My boys, at 12 years old, built there own. I showed them several things then undid it so they could. Took them both about 3 hours total. So that is building while learning.

It takes me about 30 minutes start to finish on my bench.
Old November 5, 2018, 12:23 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
.How long would it take to build an "AR" if you had all the required parts and tools in front of you?
Part of the answer depends on whether you are talking about every single individual part separate, or parts in assemblies, already put together.

Also matter if you are just trying to slap it together, or build it ""right", which includes gauges, a torque wrench and some staking.
Another factor is the experience level of the person doing it.

40 some years ago I was a Small Arms Repairman (MOS 45B20) for the US Army. I handled, inspected and repaired literally, thousands of firearms, from the M16A1 to the 4.2in mortar. I developed a skill level, and general speed quite different from most people. I think I would probably be quite s bit faster assembling an AR from parts than the guy who is doing it for his first or even 5th time. We're all different.

Within an hour, without rushing, wouldn't be unreasonable for those without a large degree of experience or skill.
Old November 5, 2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

1 hours as long as:

- no parts are lost
- vise & vise block available
- AR multi-tool available
- a pair of cheaters available
- all other tools available, such as, tweezers, utility knife, rubber mallet...etc...

Last edited by Onward Allusion; November 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old November 5, 2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
I have noticed that a lot of shooters build their own "ARs"

My question is a simple one....How long would it take to build an "AR" if you had all the required parts and tools in front of you?
I'll say this simply because I believe it is VERY relevant to the discussion.

I've built three AR's and for darn sure certain, I'm so far away from an "AR Expert" that I can't even see the experts from where I'm standing.

It gets a little easier each time but this is not a difficult task for anyone who is a tinkerer. And although I rarely ever look on YouTube for anything, I find YouTube quite helpful in firearms disassembly/reassembly and using YouTube for AR builds is helpful. Have very good lighting where you work, as nearly everything is black in color and many parts are small. Be careful of small pins and springs.

I spent about 90 minutes on my first build, maybe an hour on my second and just under an hour on my third.

My final advice is to examine closely your stripped lower before assembly... get a Q-tip out and ensure each hole is clear and free of debris.
Old November 5, 2018, 02:13 PM   #10
rickyrick

If all the parts and tools available... not long, maybe an hour.
I’ve done it in less than 30 min.
Old November 5, 2018, 02:27 PM   #11
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO
My boys, at 12 years old, built there own. I showed them several things then undid it so they could. Took them both about 3 hours total. So that is building while learning.
I think I am learning something everytime I build. The first lower I built took at least 45 minutes as a watched a video, paused to work, then unpaused to watch the next step.

There is always some pin that causes a headache, or I am out of masking tape. I like Anderson lowers with the closed trigger guard, and I always forget that I have to dremel off the end of the screw that holds the grip on. That means I have to get up from the table, go to the basement for the dremel box, find an extension cord...

The big obstacle for me in building an upper is that I am not the sort of fellow who has a work bench with a vise. A really solid bench is important.

Building an upper and building a lower are unlike activities in many important ways. For the lower, you'll want your most powerful reading glasses nearby if you need that sort of thing. As to the upper, except for the gas tube pin and a pin for the forward assist (if you choose to include one), the work is much large pieces and more force involved.

I've never built a rifle straight through, in a single sitting. If I included getting all the tools, tape and parts together before beginning, I bet it would take me most of three hours. However, I enjoy the process as a hobbyist so I've little incentive to abbreviate the process.

Last edited by zukiphile; November 5, 2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old November 5, 2018, 05:59 PM   #12
stagpanther

I've built several dozen but am not an expert--and I learn something new with almost every build. It takes me several hours on average with each build--though I'm sure I could throw a functional one together much faster. I'm also not happy with a build if it can't shoot .5 MOA or under.
Old November 5, 2018, 07:02 PM   #13
MagnumWill

Yeah, I try to be realistic. I think two hours is safe. What are you doing, racing? Take your time, do it right, and most importantly, ENJOY the process

I can assemble a lower in about 45 to an hour, an upper about the same. Like I said, it's therapeutic. Put on some good music, grab a beer and have a good time
Old November 5, 2018, 09:04 PM   #14
ed308

Usually two hours for me. But I lap my uppers if possible. And if installing a scope, that's at least another hour.
Old November 5, 2018, 09:49 PM   #15
rickyrick

I’ll say that it is no race. Take your time. My father and step father put tools in may hand when I was a small boy. Both were professional mechanics and owned their own shops. I’ve been a technician my whole life since I started my first real mechanics job
at age 14 and have been repairing vehicles, heavy equipment, plants and industrial equipment, so there was no learning curve for me.
I tend to forget that when talking to others.

But I don’t see why someone couldn’t do it in two hours with the amount of information out there. I’ll admit that I did look it up before doing it myself.
Old November 5, 2018, 11:30 PM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
Usually two hours for me. But I lap my uppers if possible. And if installing a scope, that's at least another hour.
Yes--the "little extras" take time if you are an OCD kind of person (which I tend to be). I true not only the extension face but also the internal bore of the upper. My install process for the barrel is a little more involved than what it needs to be since I try test for a smooth straight run and lock-up of the carrier and bolt to the extension. I also take the bolts apart when doing a headspace check with a chamber gauge but also to check and modify extractor and ejector tension and edges (many are over-powered these days). I reload my ammo--so minimum damage to the brass and bullet upon feed and extraction promotes brass longevity and helps accuracy. Even once the build is complete--I may end up tweaking the gas system for what I feel is a well-balanced system. Sometimes I'll take the entire gun apart and start over if I don't like how it works. About 1 out of every 6 or 7 builds "I get lucky" and it shoots perfectly from the first shot. A big part of recognizing that is knowing my limitations as a shooter and being able to tell when the gun is shooting optimally and consistently. Each one is like a musical instrument and has it's own "tune" depending on the ammo characteristics and build features.

So, my impression is that there are "phases" as you develop as a builder. Your first builds you will probably take an hour or two because you'll be stopping and checking the Brownell's videos (an excellent resource I highly recommend) as well as parts instructions. Your first build is a great thing and will provide you with pride and joy when you first shoot it!

The technical skill needed to put one together is fairly low (thankfully for someone like me) so once you know the basics you can assemble one very fast--so I would call that "phase 2"--efficiency and familiarty with assembly.

Phase 3 is where the OCD builders end up--generally those who are obsessed with getting maximum performance from their build. If you are not happy with your build unless it can shoot a bug-eye one-hole group and/or consistently .5 MOA or less--that's you, a phase 3 builder. Other symptoms include entire portions of your house and garage devoted to weapons assembly and reloading equipment.

Have to go, time for my appointment with my therapist...
Old November 6, 2018, 07:12 AM   #17
xandi

It’s really easy,
Laying out the parts together in order(like fcg layed out and orientated the way they go in)makes it a cake walk
Old November 6, 2018, 07:24 AM   #18
Mobuck

I don't "over think it". It's a "LEGO" with numerous built in tolerances. I don't expect perfection (if I did, I'd being using a manually operated action) and those that don't perform to meet expectations get relegated to uses that don't require precision.
I don't expect every AR out of my shop to cut cloverleafs. I already have several of those.
I'm OK with having a 250 yard capable(1.5 MOA) yotie rifle that lives in the tractor/pickup/UTV cab as long as it is consistently 1.5 MOA and goes bang as needed.
I don't even bother to handload anymore. If an AR turns out to be a dog with the factory ammo I have on hand, I either swap parts or move it along to someone who's looking for a "bullet hose".
Old November 6, 2018, 10:35 AM   #19
ed308

Phase 3 is where the OCD builders end up--generally those who are obsessed with getting maximum performance from their build. If you are not happy with your build unless it can shoot a bug-eye one-hole group and/or consistently .5 MOA or less--that's you, a phase 3 builder. Other symptoms include entire portions of your house and garage devoted to weapons assembly and reloading equipment.

That's me. Anal (precise) when it comes to barrels and scope installation. So I take my time and try to get it right the first time.
Old November 6, 2018, 10:44 AM   #20
Wyosmith

Depending on what hand-guard is used and if the hand-guard is to be mounted with hard-points for flashlight mounting or lasers and what not, the time can vary.
But for a basic carbine it takes me about 20-25 minutes.
For one that is outfitted with a lot of do-dads it has taken me up to an hour.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:23 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Phase 3 is where the OCD builders end up--generally those who are obsessed with getting maximum performance from their build.
Is there a Plasma Phase in between?
I usually assemble what I've got, as is. (Unless I find an issue that needs to be addressed first.)
Then if it doesn't perform as intended, I'll tear it back down and dig out the specialty tools (like the lapping rod).

I haven't put together anything very 'high end' for a while, though. That may be a factor.
There's one coming up, where I will not be satisfied until I can reliably shoot the wings off a gnat at 200 yards. But it's down the road a bit. I'm still trying to source a barrel, and have other expenses in the way.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:24 AM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
There's one coming up, where I will not be satisfied until I can reliably shoot the wings off a gnat at 200 yards; but I'm still trying to source a barrel...
I thought you were still consulting your palm reader and astrology advisor on whether or not to test the valkyrie waters?
Old November 6, 2018, 11:26 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

No Valkyrie for this guy.
I've seen enough of that poop show to know that I don't want to wade into the pit.

The next one will be a .17-233.
Why? Because I ended up with something like 1,900 bullets, but don't own a .17.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:27 AM   #24
MarkCO

Quote:
There's one coming up, where I will not be satisfied until I can reliably shoot the wings off a gnat at 200 yards. But it's down the road a bit.
Go with at least 20mm...EZPZ.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:30 AM   #25
stagpanther

I've looked at that myself--intriguing being able to drive a bitty bullet to 25,000 fps. I figure I'll go crazy fumble-futzing with those dinky bullets when reloading.
I went to Wally World and bought a marlin 17hmr for $90--so I got that out of my system--but it shoots great. If I did it over I'd get a 17wsm, but then you have to rely on factory ammo availability.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 6, 2018 at 06:14 PM.