The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 1, 2019, 01:17 PM   #1
rebs

Savage 10 - 110 LE target model ?

who has one and can tell me about it especially as far as quality, accuracy and recoil ?
Old September 1, 2019, 01:56 PM   #2
std7mag

I bought my wife an older 110 FP in 223 Rem.
F= synthetic stock
P= police
24" heavy barrel.
Puts 20 rounds of 69gr Sierra MatchKings in a 1" circle with boring regularity.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 1, 2019, 05:41 PM   #3
TJB101

I have the 10PC in 223 ... older camo stock. Shoots better than me. Trigger is the best I own. Occasional clover leaf at 100 yards.
Old September 1, 2019, 09:02 PM   #4
ocharry

I have one ....10FP or p or one of those ..would have to look......308 fat barrel..20moa rail...8.5-32x50 scope...in one of those choate varmint stocks that replaced the factory plastic one

Scarry accurate...really likes 175 nosler bullets...pretty consistently well under moa

They are a little heavy but that is OK ....I really like this rifle

Have an older 110 tactical in 7mag...its still in factory plastic stock...it has adjustable trigger...not accutriger...the 308 does have the accutrigger.....I like them both...accutrigger maybe just a tad more......it is really accurate too...I just love to hear the 7 boom when it goes off....makes me smile..lol

Local GS had the same rifle as my 308 in 223 a while ago....I looked at it a couple times....and have kicked myself in the but more than once for not bringing it home

Both of mine are great guns....I dont think you would go wrong with one of them

My .02

Ocharry
Old September 1, 2019, 11:50 PM   #5
YankeeIronSights

I have owned two model 10 with heavy and flutted barrel.

Both were tack drivers. Savage offers great triggers out of the box. They are reliable and well built for the money. For the price, the model 10 offers great value.

I ended up selling both because the ten round magazines for these rifles are proprietary and are very expensive.

Over time, I transitioned into the M1A family of rifles, the Ruger Precision Rifle, and later, the Mossberg MVP. These last two bolt action rifles share M1A magazine compatibility. There are great benefits in standardizing magazines across various gun platforms. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 2, 2019, 06:24 AM   #6
COSteve

My son's Savage 10GXP3 Rifle with a Monarch 4-16 scope, shooting my 68grn Hornady BTHP handloads produces 5/16" groups at 100yds. Great what 34 yr old eyes can do.
Old September 11, 2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Dennis Bates

Hi Everyone , Im looking at Savage 110 Predator, model #57001
does anybody have one that could fill me in. Comparing it to Remington 700 SPS.
Idon't know witch to buy.?
Old September 11, 2019, 03:34 PM   #8
GeauxTide

Not on topic, but my Savage 16 in 260 is a 1/2" tack driver.
Old September 30, 2019, 08:07 PM   #9
Longshot4

Take the Remington. It will compete and the weight is well balanced. The tooling, steel, finish and trigger is fine. It shoots like a pro out of the box.
Be careful you don't cut your self on the Savage sharp corners. The finish is as fine as a cheep shovel form China. The worst I have ever come across. Keep the Savage well greased so it doesn't rust up on you in storage. The factory stock sucks. That's why every one changes them out. I think the stock is made of recycled Tupperware. All in all Savage is much cheaper in cost and looks. Remington is just the opposite. The reason Remington costs more is simple. Much better quality.
Old October 1, 2019, 12:40 PM   #10
PlatinumCore16

To the OP, which rifle are you asking about, specifically? The only "LE" on the site at this point is their chassis stock. Are you referring to the older 110 FP or FCP?

To Bates: I would ask what's the intended role? The 110 pred appears to have the barrel off their "tactical" rifles (a little heavier with fluting), but not the rail scope mount nor the AI magazine interface. I will say that I have a 110 tac in 308 and I love it. I haven't found its favourite load, though it does pretty well with the 168 SMKs I've fed it. Hoping to get a little better with some heavier bullets, starting at 175. My purpose was a paper/steel puncher out to 1000yds, but didn't want to have ANOTHER caliber I needed to stock. The rifle is well balanced and has some adjustability options in stock and LOP. The accustock helps to keep the front end from bending/flexing under bipod preloading and sitting in bags. It isn't a light rifle, but I wouldn't feel overburdened if I went hunting with it, provided I wasn't trying to hike 10 miles in and pack out an elk those same 10 miles.

I can't say that I've had a lot of experience with Remington. I had a 750 (or whatever the number was after the 783), which I promptly got rid of, but other than that I've pulled the trigger maybe 5 times on a friend's 700. Felt okay, but I also couldn't tell you what model it was. It had a plastic stock and hunting barrel (see: pencil/thin), so it was pretty standard.