The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 1, 2019, 05:12 PM   #1
stagpanther

Ammo disposal with Ruger LC9S pro

I'm the first to admit I suck with handguns--might have something to do with I don't practice enough. Found this little puppy hiding in the back of the safe and decided to burn through some of a large excess of 9mm RN ammo that I have. It does a pretty good job of getting rid of it pretty quickly. Each magazine of 7 shots took about 7 seconds +/- to burn through standing freehand at 15 yards. I estimate about 80% of the impacts are within 6" of the center POA.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2015.jpg (183.9 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2016.jpg (235.9 KB, 299 views)
Old September 1, 2019, 05:21 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

This video (and a lot of dry fire and live fire practice) made the biggest single difference in my handgun shooting a few years ago. I had been shooting handguns for more than 26 years when I happened on this video:

https://youtu.be/li0rGtXh23I
Ignore the title, "Why Aiming is Useless!" I know, it grabs at your sensibilities, but just ignore it until after you watch the video.
Old September 2, 2019, 04:12 AM   #3
stagpanther

Thanks for that--I've seen that vid before and agree practice with basic hold and control is essential.
Old September 2, 2019, 07:04 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

With the LC9/PF-9 copy? It's probably more the gun than you

But seriously.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; September 2, 2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old September 2, 2019, 07:24 AM   #5
jmr40

In my experience the LC9's are pretty accurate for the size. And I don't think that is bad shooting for the speed/distance you're shooting. Especially with a compact gun.

Winston Churchill
Old September 2, 2019, 10:35 PM   #6
stagpanther

It's my first choice for a compact carry; I sometimes have issues deciding between it and a 45 acp, which I can also shoot passably well at this and greater distances, but is much heavier and not very concealable during warm summer months. The little LC9 is easy to grip and hold steady for rapid fire, which also recommends it.
Old September 3, 2019, 10:54 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

I've had more than a few 9's come and go over the years, but my two for sure keepers are my Lc9s and my CZ 75B SA. The only minor issue I have with the Ruger is takedown is a minor pita. But it doesn't need to be cleaned very often even with regular use, so no big deal.
Old September 3, 2019, 12:55 PM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
takedown is a minor pita
Yup!