The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 24, 2018, 04:21 PM   #1
AzShooter

My Mark IV doesn't like the cold.

I've been shooting it for the past two weeks with no problems. Temperatures have been in the 60s and 70s and the gun was flawless.

Sunday we had our Steel Challenge Match and I was anxious to shoot for the first time with this build. Heck, it's been working so well with over 2000 rounds through it without a jam. It became a Jam-O-Matic Sunday. Every stage and almost every magazine.

I was shooting the the Revolver Squad and got nothing but comments that I should have brought my 617. The revos just don't seem to jam.

Today I went to the local indoor range to test the gun and my magazines. No problems. Temps were again in the 70s and it was nice inside.

I think I need to find a new oil for cold weather, like we are going to have any more cold weather here this year, Ha Ha Ha. ( It's Phoenix BTW.
Old January 24, 2018, 05:24 PM   #2
tangolima

How did it jam? Fail to feed, extract, or eject?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 24, 2018, 08:17 PM   #3
AzShooter

Jams were while feeding. Nose of bullet would come out high and be above the chamber mouth. Rear of case did not go past the extractor. Pretty much the same jam every time.
Old January 24, 2018, 09:40 PM   #4
tangolima

It is a magazine problem. The cartridge's attitude is controlled by the feed lips. It is also possible that the magazine is seated higher than usual.

-TL

Old January 24, 2018, 10:12 PM   #5
AzShooter

My next project is to go through all of my magazines and eliminate the ones that have any problems. I only had 3 magazines with me today and eliminated one that jammed 4 times after shooting 50 rounds. The other 2 worked fine for over 100 rounds each.
Old January 24, 2018, 10:37 PM   #6
tangolima

Don't need to eliminate them. Just need to adjust the feed lips. Close the lips to lower the cartridge's attitude. A good smith can help tune up your pistol, including the magazines.

-TL

Old February 12, 2018, 09:18 PM   #7
gunrunner1

A friend if mine has almost the exact same set up that you do, and his ran just fine in 15 degree weather.
Old February 14, 2018, 08:56 AM   #8
darkgael

Ruger?

I agree that the problem sounds like the magazines.
I am curious, though, about how the gun functions with the original Ruger receiver and barrel?
I ask because i have a Volquartsen upper for my Mark II. It was quite nicely functional. I took it to the National matches at Camp Perry one year. It gave me a failure to feed during the last string of Rapid Fire and then malfunctioned again during the alibi string.....cost me 40 points.
That was the last rodeo for that upper.
Pete
Old February 14, 2018, 09:54 AM   #9
AzShooter

Well, it's not the weather, now that it's warmer out the gun still malfunctions with the LLV.

I put the original top end back on and ran over 400 rounds with no problems. I talked to Volquartsen last night and they are sending me a shipping label so I can send them the whole gun and have them work on it.

Great service. I'll let you all know how it works out.

For Steel Challenge shooting I can't afford one jam. There are no alibies per se.
Old February 14, 2018, 08:30 PM   #10
darkgael

A side idea...i had to laugh at myself about that gun...my “Ruger”
I had put a full Volquartsen trigger/spring/sear/etc. set in, replacing the stock innards. I added a Volquartsen upper. Added custom grips.
I still called it a Ruger.