The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2019, 07:23 PM   #1
KyJim

Picked up another Shield

I picked up another first generation SW Shield in 9mm today at Bud's Gunshop (local to me). The Shield is one of my regular carry pistols. It's relatively easy to conceal and I shoot it well. I normally don't buy two of the same handgun but couldn't pass it up for the price --- $219 after rebate plus tax.

I just didn't think the M2.0 was enough of an upgrade to pay the difference in price.
Old December 7, 2019, 05:31 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Sounds like a good score to me. I've considered buying two of the same pistol (especially of carry guns) in the past, and I'd happily buy another Shield 1.0.
Old December 7, 2019, 11:23 AM   #3
KyJim

I have early models of the M&P pistols and tell a pretty good difference between them and my later-model Shield 1.0. The trigger on the Shield 2.0 seems only marginally better than the 10. The other differences in the two models didn't matter to me at all.
Old December 7, 2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I got mine when prices dropped just before the 2.0 introduction, so I'm assuming it's a fairly late model. I haven't investigated all of the differences, but I haven't been able to imagine that they're enough to get me to trade mine in.
Old December 8, 2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Hal

Lots and lots and lots of advantages to having two similar - if not the same - guns.
Old December 10, 2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Great price. I got my Shield Compact there. Buds can be a dangerous place.
Old December 10, 2019, 08:08 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

I have a 9mm Shield - 1st gen and I agree with you - I find it to be an excellent CCW - shoots well and never had any issues with it. I will admit that I picked up a
glock 26 and it is now my normal carry - prmarily because i wanted more capacity yet small. You got a good deal on your shield - I see used ones listed in my area for considerable more that what you paid for your new one. If I found one at that pricer, I'd snap it up just to have an extra one stashed in the house. Congrats and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 10, 2019, 09:05 PM   #8
dontcatchmany

I have a Shield 40 (1.0) and put an Apex Duty Carry Trigger kit in it.....went from wanted to throw it in the trash to daily carry because of the trigger change. I have a 9mm barrel and magazines for it.

I also have two Shield 2.0 45s. One has the green laser and the other is a PC. They both shoot exceptionally well and in my hands were very accurate out of the box. They quickly became daily carry weapons and I have carried both at the same time. The hard part is deciding which one to carry.

Also have an M&P 45 full size that has been exceptional. Now that heavier clothing is needed for cooler temperatures I carry it quite often.

I am not much into carrying a 9mm but I keep looking at the 9mm compact Shield....... but the 40 with a 9mm barrel does just fine.
Old December 13, 2019, 10:43 AM   #9
DMK

At the price the Shields have been going for, I've ended up with three of them. I actually had four and gave one to a relative who was getting their CCW.

You really can't beat the bang for the buck with these. They are great little pistols.
Old December 26, 2019, 11:36 PM   #10
DashingDan

The shield is the closet to my lc9s. I am purchasing one this coming year.
Old December 29, 2019, 10:18 AM   #11
rodfac

Didn't think I'd like that ?hinged? trigger, but both my grown sons have the first iteration M&P Shield and after a cpl mag's, I found it entirely usable. They both bought them at a super discounted price just after the 2nd iteration came out. Less than $230 out the door. Nice piece and a good carry choice if you're looking for a single stack 9. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 29, 2019, 04:28 PM   #12
glove

M&P pistol magazines

Does anyone know if any of the other 9mm M&P pistol magazines will fit and function in the 9mm Shield?
Thanks
anyway.
Old January 1, 2020, 06:24 PM   #13
lechiffre

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove View Post
Does anyone know if any of the other 9mm M&P pistol magazines will fit and function in the 9mm Shield?
Thanks
No, the Shield has a thinner magazine and well than other M&P pistols.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old January 8, 2020, 09:08 AM   #14
claydoctor

Just bought a 45 cal PC 2.0 with the longer 4 in barrel. Can't figure out why they have eliminated the ports from the 45 and still have them on the 9 and 40 versions.