The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2020, 02:20 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Winchester 94 current production

Does anyone know where the current production Winchester 94’s are made? Are these made in Japan by Miroku?
Old September 30, 2020, 11:07 AM   #2
gaseousclay

And why have Winchester 94's gone up in price? I'm talking about older versions from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Seems like you used to be able to find one in decent condition for around $500, now i'm seeing them for around $800 or more. Surely there are still millions of these in circulation, not counting current production models.
Old September 30, 2020, 12:15 PM   #3
Drm50

I took two 30/30s in trade against a S&W 19 last spring. One was a Marlin Glenfield and other was Win 94 post 64. I promptly sold the MG for $400 it was mint. The 94 I drug around for a good year and ended up selling it $300. I have absolutely no interest in any post 64 Wins. I’m sure there are several around my area for $300-$400. A lot of the 94 commemoratives that have been shot go for same. The only desirable models of 94 here are 44mgs and 38/55 or 375win because they are legal deer calibers in Ohio. The only rifles less desirable than post 64 Wins are Remington 742/760 and their offspring. From now on $200 max on these rifles is all that I’ll allow.
Old September 30, 2020, 12:41 PM   #4
gaseousclay

I'd gladly dish out for a pre-64 if I could afford it, but right now those fetch a high price. The Miroku 94's are in the $1100+ range, which is understandable since they're made in Japan. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that post-64 Winchesters are commanding higher than normal prices. I get that there's been a surge in firearm purchases due to civil unrest, but i'd say most of those purchases were probably for handguns or AR's. The only post-64's i'd consider are the 80's XTR's or the Miroku made 94's.
Old September 30, 2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Scorch

In response to your first question, yes, they are made by Miroku in Japan. Very high quality workmanship.

As to why Winchesters are so pricey these days, it's supply and demand. But unlike commodities, collectables can vary tremendously in market value. Remember about 30 years ago when Brownings made in Belgium would fetch $800-$1200? Well, those same guns are now going for $300-$600 at gunshows. It's not that they're any less rare than they were, it's that the collectors are looking elsewhere now and so many have gone back onto the market, plus there are many other alternatives around. So as long as people pay the inflated prices, they wil stay high. But Winchester prices are already softening all over.
Old September 30, 2020, 03:09 PM   #6
jmr40

For the most part 94's have always been utilitarian guns and priced accordingly. There have always been special guns built of higher quality wood and finish that sold at premium prices.

The new Japanese made 94's are all collector quality, not working guns. And the prices reflect that

Winston Churchill
Old September 30, 2020, 04:04 PM   #7
gaseousclay

I think i'd be happy with a Miroku made 94, although i'm not sure about the tang safety. Think i'll keep my eye out though. Still wished I had my 9422 but nowadays i'd rather have a 30-30 win.

Who else makes a good lever gun besides the usual suspects like Henry and Browning? I know Ruger acquired Marlin, so i'd be interested to see what comes out of that. I think Mossberg has the 464, so who else makes a one? Uberti? I know i'm forgetting some.
Old October 1, 2020, 06:28 AM   #8
musicmatty

Quote:
I think i'd be happy with a Miroku made 94, although i'm not sure about the tang safety. Think i'll keep my eye out though. Still wished I had my 9422 but nowadays i'd rather have a 30-30 win.

Who else makes a good lever gun besides the usual suspects like Henry and Browning? I know Ruger acquired Marlin, so i'd be interested to see what comes out of that. I think Mossberg has the 464, so who else makes a one? Uberti? I know i'm forgetting some.
Rossi.
Old October 1, 2020, 07:37 AM   #9
P-990

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

If you want a lever-action in .30-30 Winchester, keep looking for an older Winchester 1894/94 or a Marlin 336. Skip the Mossbergs (yuck) and Henrys (heavy, handles like a fence post). The Winchesters and Marlins handle like proper lightweight carbines, perfect for a medium-caliber, close-range utility rifle.

And to your first question, yes, all modern, new-production Winchester lever actions are being made by Miroku in Japan. They're very nice rifles, intended as collector's items, not utility guns. Many Browning-branded rifles have been manufactured by Miroku for years as well. I own a Miroku-made Browning T-Bolt that is just an absolutely lovely, well-made little gem of a .22LR rifle.
Old October 2, 2020, 05:59 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-990 View Post
If you want a lever-action in .30-30 Winchester, keep looking for an older Winchester 1894/94 or a Marlin 336. Skip the Mossbergs (yuck) and Henrys (heavy, handles like a fence post). The Winchesters and Marlins handle like proper lightweight carbines, perfect for a medium-caliber, close-range utility rifle.

And to your first question, yes, all modern, new-production Winchester lever actions are being made by Miroku in Japan. They're very nice rifles, intended as collector's items, not utility guns. Many Browning-branded rifles have been manufactured by Miroku for years as well. I own a Miroku-made Browning T-Bolt that is just an absolutely lovely, well-made little gem of a .22LR rifle.
Not all Henry’s are heavy or handle like a fence post. I have both a .357 mag and a .41 mag in Big Boy Steel and they aren’t heavy and certainly don’t handle like fence posts, they are one of the nicest handling rifles I’ve ever owned in 56 years of shooting.
Old October 2, 2020, 01:04 PM   #11
eastbank

around here a very nice pre-64 winchester 94 can be bought for 500-600 hundred dollars, i know as i have over a dozen and only a few were over 900.00 dollars.
Old October 3, 2020, 06:37 AM   #12
gaseousclay

The only pre-64’s I’m seeing are up on gunbroker and a lot of those are in less than desirable condition. And even then, they’re selling for $1000 to $1500 or more. I’d pay that much for one that was NIB. I won’t buy a 70’s 94 but would consider one from the 80’s or 90’s.
Old October 12, 2020, 04:57 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
I have a browning BLR that is probably made in the same factory--it's so pretty I still haven't worked up the guts to take into the woods hunting. I have actually fired it--a couple of times. It's a runway gun.
Old October 12, 2020, 05:52 AM   #14
eastbank

760,s around here bring 450-500 in decent condition.
Old October 13, 2020, 03:17 AM   #15
gaseousclay

A different LGS that I go to had a couple of Winchester 94’s for sale in the $500-600 range. One was from ‘68 and the other from ‘70, both in semi decent condition. And by that I mean the bluing on the receiver of each didn’t have any pitting. I know post 64’s had this issue but still can’t bring myself to get one from that era. Maybe I’ll change my mind down the road
Old October 13, 2020, 05:53 AM   #16
stagpanther

I bought a used 44mag Rossi lever gun about a year ago--it looked in very good condition. Only recently did I really start to fire it repeatedly, that's when I discovered what a masterful job the former owner and/or gun shop did in hiding the defects. Touch-up materials started wearing off the barrel's finish--and after 20 shots in a row I noticed the fore grip started backing out from the receiver. Taking the assembly apart I found the former owner had actually drilled a new slot through the barrel in front of the stock one--why? I don't know--but there is no way the fore end and magazine tube can remain fixed to the gun without moving while being fired. The only thing I could think of to fix it was fill the drilled slot with quick steel, so far it seems to be holding up. I've bought several used rifles--but it's almost a guarantee something is going to be wrong someplace. Not sure I would do it anymore without a return agreement that I can strip and inspect it. Most LGS's have a policy that once it's out the door and money has changed hands the former owner's defects are now your defects.
Old October 13, 2020, 11:41 AM   #17
Drm50

Some of this must be regional. A post 64 Win 94 is sleeper here. Not collectible or legal deer gun. The pre 64s are soft. I’m sure you can find nice ones for 1/2 a new japchester.
Old October 13, 2020, 08:12 PM   #18
musicmatty

I don’t have an issue with Winchester being owned by a company outside the United States. However, it should be 100% manufactured in the United States because it’s an American icon that started here. Imagine having to buy a Ford F150 that’s made in China.

Last edited by musicmatty; October 14, 2020 at 05:09 AM.
Old October 13, 2020, 10:11 PM   #19
gaseousclay

Normally I would agree and say that an American brand should be made in the USA, but I’d make an exception for made in Japan. There simply is no comparison between Japanese made and Chinese made — Japanese made is higher quality and they take great pride in their work.
Old October 15, 2020, 03:16 AM   #20
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

Ruger bought Marlin? When did that happen? Now I'm interested in looking at a Marlin . . . like I need another gun.
Old October 22, 2020, 11:48 AM   #21
Pumpkin

USRAC 94's are pretty nice guns, not sure about prices.
Old April 21, 2021, 07:30 PM   #22
gaseousclay

*bump*

Been looking at older 94’s on gunbroker and a lot of the post 64’s are going for stupid money. This begs the question, is Winchester still producing their Miroku 94? Or has Covid delayed production? I haven’t seen this for purchase anywhere.
Old April 23, 2021, 09:20 AM   #23
ChasHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
Some of this must be regional. A post 64 Win 94 is sleeper here. Not collectible or legal deer gun.
Curious-- where is a 30-30 not deer-legal?
Old April 23, 2021, 02:39 PM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
Curious-- where is a 30-30 not deer-legal?
Maybe where he lives it's shotgun only.
Old April 24, 2021, 05:37 AM   #25
ChasHam

Yeah, hadn't thought of that...