The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 19, 2020, 10:28 AM   #26
peacefulgary

I currently live in a rather "blue collar" apartment complex.
My apartment is on the 3rd floor.
Thieves are too lazy to climb up 2 flights of stairs (and it makes a thief a better target walking down 2 flights of stairs, while carrying stolen goods).
Most thieves will stick to the 1st floor.
There are a couple of prostitutes that hang around my building (mostly good gals but who have drug addictions and little income) and they let me know if any bad stuff is likely.
And there are a few drug dealers who are seemingly always in the courtyard (doing business I suppose) and they keep the petty thugs away, as it brings unwanted attention from law enforcement.
It sounds crazy, but in a place with known crime, it's fairly safe.

I also might mention that I think the local criminals believe that I am a hitman or enforcer for some criminal element.
Which is definitely NOT the case.
Old July 20, 2020, 01:23 AM   #27
Brit

Walking about like its a sunny day, by the pool! Smiling as you go about your daily business? Instead of cowering? Gives an impression you are best not bothered with. Carry a Glock 19, always, gives a certain feeling of happiness.
Old August 24, 2020, 12:31 PM   #28
shurshot

"6 am, not a sound from outside. House closed up tight, great life this retirement!"

That's best best time to be OUTSIDE, enjoying your morning coffee, sitting in your yard listening to the birds. Tuck your Glock in your waistband and get outdoors, enjoy the Florida sunrise.
Old August 24, 2020, 01:52 PM   #29
Brit

My Son owns a good Security Company. My Jeep is wearing his company's colours very bright reflective hews. I carry my Glock 19 4th gen Pistol, always. Plus a spare G17 mag! and a razor sharp folding Benchmade knife. I must say the belt carried items I have, flash light (Surefire) is one of the most used. I I have pointed pistols at people 3 times in my travels. One of these incidents it was a Colt 45 L-weight Commander, not my normal Glock 19. That was a funny afternoon in Rochester NY.
Old August 24, 2020, 02:02 PM   #30
Henry400

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
"6 am, not a sound from outside. House closed up tight, great life this retirement!"

That's best best time to be OUTSIDE, enjoying your morning coffee, sitting in your yard listening to the birds. Tuck your Glock in your waistband and get outdoors, enjoy the Florida sunrise.
I've lived in that Florida Sunshine. For me, around 6 A.M. is about the only time I can tolerate that Florida Sunshine. Otherwise, I agree with your statement. 6 A.M. is a beautiful time to sit out on the deck or in the gazebo and enjoy my coffee, listening to the birds. And yes, the .45 is with me.
Old August 24, 2020, 08:08 PM   #31
Wag

Three small chihuahuas, all of which think they are six feet tall and weight 500 pounds. They'll bark at a mouse fart in the wind.

At night, they switch it all off so if they were go sound off in the middle of night, I'd know something was amiss.

--Wag--
Old August 25, 2020, 09:45 AM   #32
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
Three small chihuahuas, all of which think they are six feet tall and weight 500 pounds. They'll bark at a mouse fart in the wind.

At night, they switch it all off so if they were go sound off in the middle of night, I'd know something was amiss.

--Wag--
If you think straight up Chihuahua's are crazy one of my little monster's is half miniature pinscher, she's probably the best inside the house watch dog I've ever had, misses nothing.
Old August 25, 2020, 11:27 AM   #33
Timeless

So one item I have not seen mentioned here: https://www.armorconcepts.com/shop/p...-combo-set-973

I feel it gives valuable time to prepare as it will take longer to kick in the doors. I have this on every external door.

After that it is two dogs along with my wife and I along with our guns.

Security system will notify the police but we all know it will be 10 mins at least before they arrive. That along with the interior/exterior cameras will be good for the police report...but that's about it.
NRA Lifer
Old August 25, 2020, 11:34 AM   #34
FITASC

"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2020, 05:40 PM   #35
skoro

Quote:
How safe do you feel? In your Castle.
The short answer: pretty safe.

In a more or less "normal" scenario, my place is very unattractive to a break-in. I have an outward opening steel security door at each entrance. All first floor windows have security bars. There's a motion light at each entrance as well. Until a couple of years ago, the local homeless shelter was just a little over a mile away, so I wanted to make the place look like a lot of work to gain entrance.

Now, I have no illusions about a chaotic "without rule of law" situation, where criminals could range free w/o fear of law enforcement intervening. A couple of individuals with crowbars could gain entrance in just a few minutes, but it'd be a noisy job. Noisy enough that they'd be greeted with hot lead.
Old August 26, 2020, 11:57 PM   #36
PocketCamera

the safest house, is the one that has a homocidal maniac in the attic playing with a lawn mower blade.
Old August 27, 2020, 04:53 AM   #37
IZZY

No place is "safe" if the attacker is determined to get in.

what helps is:

A) paying attention.

B) Bars on windows and security gates with REAL locks not kwickset types that are easy to open with a screw driver. If you are worried about someone picking a lock, More like Multi-lock and or security box double sided (key) locks.

Keep everything locked as often as possible, double check often ( hard for us Americans, but you can train yourself).

C) a good fence you can see through, preferably topped with electric or razor wire.

D) Alarm with armed response.

E) Mindset to do what is needed to protect your family ( and self), and the available legal means to do so.

F) do not open the door/ gate/ or even fence to strangers, if you need to collect a package then lock at least one gate behind you to protect the others.

E) as the OP has a double story house, you should have at least one solid steel gate that can close off the upstairs while you sleep...or in case of an emergency.

G) Train all persons living with you what to do in case of a home invasion...do practice dry runs.

I am kind of stuck in South Africa at the moment, and this is just a few tips.

Last edited by IZZY; August 27, 2020 at 05:09 AM.
Old August 27, 2020, 05:18 AM   #38
IZZY

Quote:
The short answer: pretty safe.

In a more or less "normal" scenario, my place is very unattractive to a break-in. I have an outward opening steel security door at each entrance. All first floor windows have security bars. There's a motion light at each entrance as well. Until a couple of years ago, the local homeless shelter was just a little over a mile away, so I wanted to make the place look like a lot of work to gain entrance.

Now, I have no illusions about a chaotic "without rule of law" situation, where criminals could range free w/o fear of law enforcement intervening. A couple of individuals with crowbars could gain entrance in just a few minutes, but it'd be a noisy job. Noisy enough that they'd be greeted with hot lead.
-skoro
My "Welcome" to Norfolk Virginia was a 2 a.m. wake up call where a lady across the street was screming like a banchee. I saw the home invader crawl back out of her upstairs window, and climb down the ladder he used to get up there. That time the police came pretty quick, and with dogs ( they did not find him).

She got lucky in that the guy was not determined to do her harm.

Obviously do not leave ANY tools that could be used against you lying around, but also note that upstairs windows can be vulnerable.
Old August 27, 2020, 08:42 AM   #39
stephen426

Unless you have impact windows (and doors) or bars over your windows, your idea of safety is somewhat limited. I have been pushing the wife to get impact windows since we live in South Florida. Even the fire department requires specialized tools to get through impact windows. We were broken into right after we got married. This was all the way inside of a gated community. All it took was a brick through a sliding glass door, and that house had a LOT of sliding glass doors. While it provided great views of the water, they weren’t very good at keeping people out. Unfortunately we had some work done to the house and some alarm wires were damaged.

We moved shortly afterwards since the police really didn’t seem to care, even though there was a rash of burglaries in that area. I laid out the alarm system in the new house and we had a big dog out back. I felt very secure in that house.

Back to impact windows and doors... In my current house, we have a solid wood double door. That doesn’t mean that much if it is just a deadbolt and latch. My wife found out hard way when I was traveling overseas for work and we had a hurricane come through. The wind blowing past the covered entrance almost sucked the doors open. Windows and sliding glass doors are very easy access points unless they are impact resistant. If you are not a light sleeper, you may never even hear it. An alarm system might not even pick up the intruder since few people have glass break sensors anymore. Motion sensors are normally set to off when occupied. This is when four-legged friends help to serve as an early warning “device” and possibly much more, if they are of the larger breed.

Make sure your house is well lit and does not have areas where bad guys can hide. I added cameras as well, which can be a deterrent, but most “ring videos” show the bad guys covered up.

All of the guns and weapons are useless if you are soundly asleep or taken by surprise. Make yourself less of a target and harden points of entry.
Old September 7, 2020, 07:27 AM   #40
raddadmike

Honestly, I give in a gated community now and I still felt safer than when I didn't. Maybe it's because I'm not necessarily used to the level of class around me and feel somewhat uncomfortable. Things are growing on me but still...
Old September 7, 2020, 07:49 AM   #41
olddav

Perhaps it’s just me but the best security is achieved when people believe that you have nothing of value. I try not to let anyone see me bring anything of value in or out of my home. One other measure that I take is to keep a firearm on or near me at all times.
Old September 7, 2020, 09:07 AM   #42
Brit

Labour day, very quite in our not gated community. Vehicles parked around us. We have one 2016 Jeep Cherokee, that has never spent a night not backed into our garage. Went out for supper for the first time last night, since February!

Masks on till we reached our booth. A feeling of freedom like I never remember.I don't feel any different, ever. Same Glock 19 tucked away. Parked 20 yards away from the entrance. Well lit parking lot. I drive, drop my wife and our two friends at the entrance, pick them up there also. Our male friend has had a stroke, prerambles on a 3 wheeled walking buggy. Very frail. Thanks to God for our good health and love. Twenty eight great years together.
And remember to carry a combat pistol always, just in case!
Old September 21, 2020, 10:13 AM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

I have SimpliSafe protecting every part of my home. I have a gate both in front and out back (townhouse) but the front isn't always locked.

So any bypass of any kind has another way to catch you. Glass break alarm, door and window alarm, motion alarm, night lights, etc.

Then, the furry ones. One pure American Pitbull Terrier and one Amstaff / Basenji mix.

Upstairs my wife and I have our phones with us.

On her side there is a Glock 17 with Federal HST and a TLR-1HL.

On my side I have my Heckler and Koch P30L with an X300U-A and my 11.5" Aero Precision AR.

There is then a location to hunker down in case of a standoff of any kind.

Reevaluating this as I type it out, I think I will keep my dogs crated at night so that they are not harmed trying to protect the home. Then I might, again, huge *might* be triggered emotional by them or my wife to save them and I cannot risk going down the fatal funnel (stairway).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old September 21, 2020, 11:59 AM   #44
BJung

My neighborhood is fairly safe. What keeps it that way is that a lot of neighbors have those doorbell cameras so if there was any incident, more than one neighbor had a recording of who it was that did it. For example. there was an attempted robbery and attempted burglary a year ago. But there was a video of the person who did it! No problems since.

I installed one of these doorbells at mom's house. What's nice is that it can transmit the video to your phone. A buddy of mine's lives in Tucson and own's a business. He set up a camera and then visited family overseas. He'd check on the work progress and once phoned saying, "hey, you forgot to bring in the carpet.." So, there you go.

For me, I have my pistol near my closet. If anyone breaks in, I'll blast them. If I'm not home, the plan is for my daughter and wife is to fall back into the bedroom, deadbolt the door, block the door with the dresser, and call 911. Even then, then can fall back into the bathroom. Now my daughter is 11. I enrolled her into competition air rifle class last year and she knows the safety expectations. Now she wants to learn handgun so I'll teach her to operate and shoot my revolver. If an incident happens like I described, I she has "MY" permission to blast the person to save their lives. If the (CA) judge decides to put me in prison for the order, I can live with that knowing that my family is alive and unhurt.
Old September 21, 2020, 01:06 PM   #45
FITASC

Quote:

Been living in the FL sunshine for 20 years; at 6AM, no need for a gun to sit outside and enjoy the sunrise. At my last home, the only folks up and about were the retired folks walking
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 21, 2020, 04:27 PM   #46
rebs

my neighbor almost had a break in about two months ago. My Doberman started whining and barking so I looked out the window and seen a guy crossing his front yard. I called my neighbor and told him and he immediately looked out the front window and shined a flash light on the guy and then on his 45 that he held up, the guy took off running as fast as he could. The next day he brought over a beautiful fresh grilled steak for my dog. I don't know how she does it but if someone walks down the road in front of the house she hears or senses them and jumps up to look growl and bark. One night she started to bark and it was two coyotes in the back yard. I don't know how she can be seemingly asleep and still hear or sense people or animals outside. She is a two year old female and is very protective of her family.
Old September 21, 2020, 06:09 PM   #47
shurshot

"at 6AM, no need for a gun to sit outside and enjoy the sunrise. At my last home, the only folks up and about were the retired folks walking".

Unfortunately, evil tends to show up unannounced 24/7, 365 days per year. Many home invasions occur in the early morning hours. Remember, bad guys keep odd hours. Desperate people do desperate things, often after a long night of drinking, drugs and running the roads.
Four legged critters with sharp teeth and possibly rabies are also another good reason to tuck a revolver or pistol in ones jacket when heading outside to enjoy your morning cup of Joe or stroll around the block. Dawn and dusk are when animals are most active. Better safe than sorry!
Old September 21, 2020, 07:28 PM   #48
luger fan

A dog is not a defensive weapon. He is a early warning system.
Old September 21, 2020, 07:44 PM   #49
FITASC

Quote:
my neighbor almost had a break in about two months ago. My Doberman started whining and barking so I looked out the window and seen a guy crossing his front yard. I called my neighbor and told him and he immediately looked out the front window and shined a flash light on the guy and then on his 45 that he held up, the guy took off running as fast as he could. The next day he brought over a beautiful fresh grilled steak for my dog. I don't know how she does it but if someone walks down the road in front of the house she hears or senses them and jumps up to look growl and bark. One night she started to bark and it was two coyotes in the back yard. I don't know how she can be seemingly asleep and still hear or sense people or animals outside. She is a two year old female and is very protective of her family.
My girl is like that too. She hears the mailman truck from 2 blocks away and starts to go berserk; same for Fedex and UPS. She hear or smell a squirrel in the backyard and then chases them away. She is spoiled rotten, but since we rescued her two years ago, she is VERY protective.......
Old September 21, 2020, 08:49 PM   #50
JERRYS.

the first thing that matters is the true willingness to defend against a criminal attack. locked doors can still be kicked open, windows broken and entered through, alarms are good but there is still at least a full minute before the police get the dispatch, dogs outside can be poisoned or let out, outside lighting can burn out, but a man or woman armed and trained even mildly with a firearm and the true willingness to use it against criminal attack will be the deciding factor. this means having a gun readily accessible, not locked away or stashed on the other side of the house where you aren't....