The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 25, 2017, 06:31 PM   #1
WyMark

Wichester M-22 ammo

Thought this was a good deal @1000 for $50 at Walmart, but I was wrong. This is the dirtiest .22 ammo I think I've ever used. I just left 250-300 rounds sitting on a table on the .22 pistol lane at the range, maybe someone else can have fun with it. I still have another box of 500 that I don't know what I want to do with. Save it for TZA I guess.
Old November 25, 2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

Use the remaining for a/your single shot or pass them to a youth group that
uses single shot rifles.
Old November 25, 2017, 07:51 PM   #3
GarandTd

I was pretty disappointed recently with a box of Winchester high velocity. Might have been superX. It was a 100 round red plastic box. At least 10% of the box was dud rounds. Federal bulk has been good to me.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:12 PM   #4
bn12gg

M22 Winchester is not my favorite 22 but runs nicely thru my bolt action rifles as well as revolvers. I don't find it dirtier than Federal bulk. It is not my first choice 22 ammo but I'd not walk away from it.

.02. David.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:20 PM   #5
WyMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn12gg
I'd not walk away from it.
It would be quite a long walk, but there's about half a box sitting on a table at an outdoor range seven miles outside of Cheyenne, WY. You're more than welcome to it.
Old November 25, 2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

So, was it so dirty that your gun was jamming, or are you just OCD about "clean" ammo?
If it goes bang every time, I'm not complaining about a little smoke and soot!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 26, 2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Targa

I often hear about how dirty ammo is. I have yet to shoot one brand of ammo, particularly .22lr, that doesn't require the same amount of cleaning as another brand of ammo at the end of a range session. As for gumming up the action on a firearm, I haven't experienced that either.
If anyone could let me know of some self cleaning .22lr I would greatly appreciate it....
Old November 26, 2017, 10:42 AM   #8
bn12gg

You have to clean the gun anyway -- what difference if one brand actually is a little dirtier than another ? Bitch, bitch, bitch !

.02. David.
Old November 26, 2017, 10:50 AM   #9
WyMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter
So, was it so dirty that your gun was jamming,
Yes. It fouled the cylinder on my SP101 enough that the extraction star couldn't fully close. I had to wipe off the star and seat after every couple dozen rounds or the cylinder would bind up enough that it wouldn't turn. I don't mind a little smoke and soot either, but that much powder residue is a bit too much.

I'm not OCD (well some things....) and I know .22 is dirty. But none of my Federal or AE has been like this. I only ran into a few that wouldn't go off, but quite a few that either wouldn't even fit into my 5-Star speed loader or wouldn't come back out cleanly. Even the Federal match stuff that I thought was pretty dirty doesn't compare to this crap.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:01 AM   #10
MandolinMan

I agree. I bought the same package of 1000 earlier this year. Usually I can get around 300 rounds of cheap ammo through my Mark III before I start seeing malfunctions. With this M22 its around 100 rounds tops.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:53 AM   #11
carguychris

I bought a 1,000rd brick of M-22 about 3 years ago and got about a 1:30 dud rate regardless of the gun I used it in. After shooting about 180rds, I gave up in frustration and sold the remainder on a local FB list with full disclosure.

Between this problem and indifferent accuracy with Winchester "333" and "555" bulk packs in all but one .22 I own, I've just about given up on Winchester bulk pack, although I'm saving one remaining "333" brick in case of a zombie squirrel or possum apocalypse, in which case I'll use it in the one .22 rifle, which is perhaps ironically a Winchester.
Old December 3, 2017, 12:48 AM   #12
Viper225

I have been running them in my Tactical Solutions M4 Rimfire upper on an AR 15 lower. I start having issues with it at around 500 rounds. Hose it out with Gun Scrubber, clean the barrel and bolt assembly and it is ready for another 500 rounds.
I practice with my LCR 22 using Federal Champion, and carry Velocitors in it. Hotter ammo will lock the cylinder up.

Bob
Old December 3, 2017, 01:45 AM   #13
AzShooter

My Smith & Wesson 617 is very picky as to what ammo it likes. The Winchester 22 is very dirty and I have to clean the cylinders about every 20 rounds. I use Federal High Velocity and have had no problems shooting well over 300 rounds without cleaning. It's my go-to round for Steel Challenge with the revolver.
Old December 3, 2017, 06:55 PM   #14
WyMark

I took the SP101 out today with a 40rd box of American Eagle. Got the normal .22 residue in the cylinders and barrel, but not completely fouled like from the M22. I haven't shot much .22 the last couple years, but if memory serves the AE stuff was a bit dirtier than the FC.
Old December 5, 2017, 03:20 AM   #15
Kilibreaux

How many rounds exactly do you think you'll need to solve your problem in a REAL-LIFE shoot-out?
All this yap about how "dirty" a particular ammo is means nothing in real life.

In a REAL shootout, you're unlikely to punch out more than 20 rounds...so the "dirtiness" of any particular brand of ammo is irrelevant to the REALITY of life.
Old December 5, 2017, 11:26 AM   #16
carguychris

^^^ Who said anything about shootouts?

Given that we're discussing 40gr lead round-nose .22LR, one would presume that defensive use is NOT the main topic of the discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux
I don't like to repeatedly stop shooting and clean my revolver cylinder during a range trip. This certainly means something; it's a valid reason not a choose a load that's unusually prone to fouling.

Last edited by carguychris; December 5, 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old December 5, 2017, 12:47 PM   #17
GarandTd

Quote:
^^^ Who said anything about shootouts?
The problem solver that carries 121 rounds...?
Old December 5, 2017, 09:07 PM   #18
WyMark

Quote:
How many rounds exactly do you think you'll need to solve your problem in a REAL-LIFE shoot-out?

In a REAL shootout, you're unlikely to punch out more than 20 rounds...so the "dirtiness" of any particular brand of ammo is irrelevant to the REALITY of life.

WHAT??? Holy crap, seriously. What????

This is an 8-round SP101 revolver in .22lr. Who the hell said anything about "shootout"? It's a frickin range toy, and nothing else. You either have a serious reading comprehension issue or you suffer from severe mallningaitis.

Like carguy said, having to stop and clean a revolver because your ammo is fouling it is no fun and a waste of time and money.
Old December 5, 2017, 09:25 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Wasn't this ammo brought out with the growing number of rimfire rifles fashioned after the AR15, and marketed for that purpose.
From a 2011 blog.
Quote:
Winchester’s new M22 round is quite compelling. It features a 40 grain round nosed lead bullet at a high velocity of 1255 fps. The round has been designed specifically for modern semi-automatic rifles feeding from high capacity magazines (ie. .22 black rifle clones).
Wonder how it runs in them?
Well, a three year old review seemed pretty favorable back then.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gBXtXZSgYF8
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 5, 2017, 09:32 PM   #20
WyMark

I wouldn't even attempt to run this crap through my old 10/22. Although I guess I could just stop and hose it out with WD40 or something after every couple 25 round mags.

Hey, maybe that's a way to burn it up fast! It's not like it can really hurt an old 10/22 anyway. Not much can, really.
Old December 6, 2017, 04:18 PM   #21
5whiskey

Quote:
The problem solver that carries 121 rounds...?
Of ball ammo...
Old December 20, 2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Kbbearcat

I have been using 22 ammo for sport and hunting 4 40 plus years. My Autos like a good copper plated round doesn't really matter which brand Federal Remington or Winchester I've always found find one that works well in your Auto and stick with it. My wheel guns don't fire just bought anything you put in them but I still like copper-plated rounds the best.
Old December 21, 2017, 05:17 AM   #23
hemiram

I had a couple of boxes of it and it worked fine in my S&W M&P 22 pistol. It was nasty dirty, but so was everything else I put though it and my Henry lever .22. Cleaning them at the same time was a very messy thing. I didn't buy any more of it, not because of any complaints about it, I just didn't see any of it when the dam broke and .22 became a "Oh, that's a decent deal on .22LR, but I'll pass!" because it appeared everywhere, and I stopped buying it just because a brick was there. I don't think I have ever bought anything I didn't need much of as much as I bought .22lr for a while. Maybe potato chips?