The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

AR-15 Vertical forward grips

I recently acquired a Smith and Wesson M&P Sport 2 AR-15. I was looking for a good vertical grip to attach to the bottom of the rifle's standard forward grips. Any recommendations ? Thanks.
Old November 8, 2017, 04:33 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

Do you plan on attaching a picatinny rail to the bottom or are you looking for recommendations that attach directly to the forend?
Personally, I'm a fan of the Magpul vertical grips (the short ones). It feels comfortable to grip and to use it as a handstop.
I also own Grip Pod (fwd grip where a bipod springs out the bottom when button is hit) and Tapco vertical grips. The Tapco is also comfortable to grip, but I still like the Magpul more. The Grip Pod is useful if needing a bipod in a split second. But I didn't find it comfortable to hold onto. I like having the top of my hand rest against the bottom of the forend and the Grip Pod prevents that due to the button and tightening screw being in the way.
Old November 8, 2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Oldjarhead

I plan to attach a vertical grip to the already existing fore grip, if I can.
Old November 8, 2017, 05:05 PM   #4
rpseraph

You can attach Picatinny to the bottom of a standard AR handguard, no problem. From there, I like the Magpul VFG. It's light, doesn't get in the way, and it does the job. Grip pods are kinda cool, but a little heavy for my taste. Depends on your POU (philosophy of use, nutnfacny-ism)