The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2017, 08:20 PM   #1
MWDG3

930 torture test at Badlands

http://badlandstactical.org/event/ta...-2-day-course/

Finished up the two day course at Badlands Tactical in Grandfield OK. The basic 930 did very well on day 1 after approx. 150+ rounds. Class started at 8am with lecture about safety, legal/personal consequences of defensive firearms use, types of ammunition and general shotgun fundamentals. Over the next day and a half on the range we learned about "zones", combat loading, ready positions, marksmanship fundamentals along with different drills to practice back at home.

100 rounds into day 2 I started experiencing light primer strikes every 2-3 cycles. Within 10 rounds the 930 wasn't striking the primer at all. I'll be calling Mossberg Monday morning. I never shot or cleaned the gun before class. My instructor examined the gun during a thorough cleaning this afternoon and found nothing obviously broken. Same problem after cleaning the gun. I can't say I'm really impressed with the hammer strike strength. I compare it to a striker fired pistol. Any ideas?

Outside the primer strike issues I was please with performance. It really liked the Federal Premium Tactical 00. The pattern out to 36 feet was really tight. Mr. Perryman at 2A Shooting Center stippled it for me and it worked out well.

Safety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4CzwAFgYQ

Night training, note the recoil shut off the light.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1RNW6HWTIw
Old October 9, 2017, 07:29 AM   #2
jmr40

Mossberg makes a decent pump, but their semi-autos have always had issues. I had a couple of 9200's several years ago. One never had any problems, the other was picky about ammo, very picky.

When the 930 came out it initially got good reviews and I thought that Mossberg had figured out how to build a semi. But as they are getting used more I'm hearing of more and more issues.

Winston Churchill
Old October 9, 2017, 11:44 AM   #3
ilmonster

I'll be interested in what the resolution of this issue is as I've been considering this SG for HD too.
Old October 9, 2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Nathan

Mine works fine. There could be an issue, but 930's aren't bad. Can you test how hard the primer is being struck? Maybe cut open some shells to unload and confirm primer strikes?
Old October 9, 2017, 12:28 PM   #5
MarkCO

Ditto jmr40s answer. If you deep clean them and avoided getting the 1 in 5 that just won't ever work, they can be made to run for 6 to 7 thousand rounds. After that, pretty much will cost more to rebuild it than to throw it away and get something new.
Old October 9, 2017, 05:19 PM   #6
MWDG3

Miculek mentions fast shooting will cause problems within 400 rounds. Several times I could’ve cooked bacon for the whole class. So I’ll clean the gas system as recommended in the video and see what happens.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfqdygODl9k
Old October 11, 2017, 01:53 AM   #7
Rifletom

This seems to be an issue with the tactical models. A lot of fast shooting with heavy loads. The 930's in field guise seem to work fine. Slower shooting with target, upland and waterfowl loads seem to work as they should. I know my 930 field gun is reliable. I like it and it seems to work just fine for my occasional trap and upland use.
Old October 11, 2017, 04:53 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Interesting.

But, I have to ask....
Are you shooting prone at six yards in a defensive shotgun course?
Old October 11, 2017, 12:54 PM   #9
MWDG3

50 yards prone to check zero. I rested against a post while using the instructor's 870 with rifle sights to hit steel at 200 yards.
Old October 11, 2017, 09:05 PM   #10
MWDG3

Vids work now.
Old October 12, 2017, 05:13 PM   #11
MarkCO

Quote:
This seems to be an issue with the tactical models. A lot of fast shooting with heavy loads. The 930's in field guise seem to work fine. Slower shooting with target, upland and waterfowl loads seem to work as they should. I know my 930 field gun is reliable. I like it and it seems to work just fine for my occasional trap and upland use.
Actually, it is the tube length and shell surge. Take the tube off the Tactical/JMs and they run fine. Put a tube on the field guns, the choke the same.
Old October 12, 2017, 06:59 PM   #12
WarPig1976

As mentioned on another Forum. OP never cleaned the weapon before his class. One must clean a new gun of the corrosion prevention grease first. The shotgun was not properly lubed in this case. Clean the firing pin channel then report if you're still having problems. This is how internet rumors start.
Old October 13, 2017, 02:31 AM   #13
MWDG3

I fired off an email to Mossberg asking about the lube use before shipping. Hopefully they'll respond.

The Miculek video is awesome. He explains what causes these to have problems. All we did after the failure was clean and lube the barrel, receiver and trigger. I'm thinking a few mag dumps are in order tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfqdygODl9k

Magazine tube carbon build up.

Piston fouling.
Old October 13, 2017, 05:09 PM   #14
MWDG3

https://youtu.be/Ff4-j-Ayt30

Success! This is the 3rd of 4 mag dumps. I lightly covered the piston assembly with Rotella cut 50-50 with ATF fluid. A trick I learned at Badlands carbine class. The high detergent cuts carbon real well in high temp areas like AR bolt carriers. The rest I sprayed with dry lube from Lowe’s. I think I’ll order the Hornady dry lube recommended by Miculek.

From Mossberg...

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your e-mail. My service department advised that we use WD-40 prior to shipping. I am happy to hear you are impressed with your shotgun! Thank you for being a valued Mossberg customer. Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
Old October 15, 2017, 09:16 AM   #15
Rifletom

MarkCO, thanks for that reply; tube length and shell surge. Thought maybe something to do with tube. Thanks again.
Regarding getting the carbon build up off, I use "Otis 012-C Carbon Remover". 2oz bottle. Works great.
Old October 15, 2017, 01:02 PM   #16
MWDG3

From Gunboards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstuffer View Post
The gun has to be Failing To Close Fully Into Battery (FTGIB (fail to go into battery)) JUST ENOUGH that the disconnector still resets to drop the hammer but the firing pin can't reach the primer good.
That sounds like what I was experiencing. I'm just skeptical if cleaning the piston of WD40 would've avoided the stoppage, considering the smoldering heat running all day Saturday and several hours Sunday. I had no idea of Miculek's process and most certainly would've applied judicious oil.

Here he explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsEb0pfzS2s
Old October 17, 2017, 09:14 AM   #17
MarkCO

WD40 is okay for a manufacturer to pack and ship a gun...not okay for a lube.