The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 17, 2011, 07:26 AM   #1
duelist1954

Video - Shooting Schofield revolvers

In this video we'll look at the features of the S&W Schofield revolver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8vfIfBx_c
Old August 17, 2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Hardcase

Mike, your videos are getting better and better! That was a great explanation about the differences between the different S&W models. And I guess that I wasn't the only smug kid who thought that Owen Wister was off his rocker!

BTW, great reloading article in this month's GotOW!
Old August 17, 2011, 02:27 PM   #3
duelist1954

Thanks Hardcase, glad you liked it.

Yeah who knew? Those of us who got our firearms history from Hollywood had lots of rude awakenings in our future.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Tanker6

Another great video Mike! I absolutely love the look of the Schoefield's, but purposely don't shoot them in SASS because (1) I shoot duelist and (2) the reach to the hammer is very long. This causes them (as you point out in the video) "slower to shoot." However, I somewhat disagree with your opinion of "if I could only have one revolver in 1887, it wouldn't be a Schoefield." I guess it would depend upon what I needed from my revolver (assuming I could only have one). Do I need a quick to draw, quick to fire pistol or do I need the ability to have sustained firepower. The ability to reload the Schoefield (even while mounted) gives it a distinct advantage in a sustained firefight.

All in all, however, I'd probably side with you that if I only had one, then it would be a different pistol (probably a Peacemaker). That's because I'd use those 5 shots to provide cover as I moved to get my rifle.

Again, great video! Keep 'em comin'!

Tanker6 a/k/a Chickahominy Charlie
Old August 18, 2011, 03:10 PM   #5
duelist1954

Tanker, Even though we took different paths, we both reached the same truth...that's really zen...

Actually, in the 1880s, with B-P cartridges You'd need a pocket full of cleaning supplies to keep a Schofield running for a sustained firefight.

I agree with you about running to get the rifle. I'm guessing that your rifle of choice would have been the .44 Evans with its 34-round magazine?

I'm glad you liked the video. It's fun to kick around what-if questions about old timey guns.
Old August 19, 2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Tanker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by duelist1954
I'm guessing that your rifle of choice would have been the .44 Evans with its 34-round magazine?
Naw........but I'd prolly have gone with the 1873 Winchester, but in the 24" barrel rather than the more popular carbine.....oh, and in 44-40 (given the time period). I can slap those shells in the loading gate purty quick between shots (and have had to do so on a couple of "load on the clock" stages in SASS).

Although it is cumbersome, I think Josey Wales had a good idea (although he was shooting C&B) -- loading takes time, so just carry a bunch of pistols.

Tanker6 a/k/a Chickahominy Charlie
Old August 19, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7
duelist1954

I'm with you on the '73. I have a 24" sporting rifle that I use in matches when I'm shooting .44-40.
Old August 20, 2011, 02:21 AM   #8
swopjan

Quote:
I'm guessing that your rifle of choice would have been the .44 Evans with its 34-round magazine?
don't suppose we could get a video?
Old August 20, 2011, 06:33 AM   #9
duelist1954

Swopjan...You never know. My bud Kenny Howells did all the guns for Tom Selleck's western movies. The Evans rifle Wilford Brimley used in "Crossfire Trail" is his...maybe I can get a loan...