The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 17, 2010, 04:33 PM   #51
seed

Just saw a thread here that Fennell is having a 20% off August sale for his Weapons Shield and other metal protection products. Phenomenal stuff and worth trying if you haven't yet. I think his site is Steelshieldtech.com.

I know everyone has an opinion about lubes and protectants. Well, if you do the research you will see how good this stuff is. I came across its predecessor many years ago when Fennell was selling FP-10 (an older formulation which is vastly superior to the crap being sold as FP-10 these days...Fennell is no longer associated with the making of FP-10). I bought a ton of it and it is awesome. Well, after a falling out with his company he moved on to making Weapons Shield under a different company umbrella. And he says it is even better than the original formulation FP-10. I believe him. He knows his stuff and if you are bored, you might want to check out the ancient threads here on TFL about lubes. They were highly educational and even entertaining as the chalatans got systematically destroyed with lessons in tribology. It was these threads (which were old when I read them way back then) that got me to sign up with TFL. And they of course got me to try the original Fennell formulation. No more Break-Free for me. And no need to try anything else.

I should mention that my research extended elsewhere (internet) and the results were the same. The old formulation FP-10 always blew away everything else when it came to lubricity. And when I did my own corrosion resistence tests, old FP-10 was right up there with Eezox and Corrosion X -- as long as it was still on the surface...I can't speak to its adherence to surfaces upon being wiped away as I honestly did not test for that.

Remember that that was the OLD FP-10...not the new junk. Now, in its stead is Weapons Shield which is supposed to be even better. I have so much of the old FP-10 that I can't bring myself to get the new and improved Weapons Shield. But with this sale, I may.
Old August 30, 2010, 09:44 AM   #52
rdragos

gun oil

"Todd Bender (national Skeet Shooting Champion) "LubriSilk gun oil offers the best surface protection that I have seen in my career. As a lubricant it excels in endurance and performance of any product I have used".
Old August 30, 2010, 11:07 AM   #53
5whiskey

See, I take any kind of "champions" endorsement on which wonder product to use on my gun the same way I take Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, or pretty much any other sports stars "endorsement" of a product. They're paid to give those glowing reviews...

I use ATF for almost everything. It migrates bad in holsters, but the stuff works well in almost every area as long as you clean more than twice a year

Last edited by 5whiskey; August 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:42 PM   #54
ArizonaRick

STP & Hoppies #9

In gunsmithing school (CST 86-87) we would use 5 parts STP mixed with 1 part Hoppies #9, 1/2 to 1 part WD-40 (to thin it down). When I worked for a large firearms importer, we would go through gallons of it. Mil spec cosmoline is the best for long-term firearms storage (and cheep).
Old August 30, 2010, 06:16 PM   #55
RaySendero

Quote:
shooter1911 asked:
Am I the only guy on here who uses Militec-1 on contact surfaces?
Nope - By my count we're up to 2 (3 if I can count my son).

We use both the're oil and grease.
Old September 1, 2010, 06:05 AM   #56
F. Guffey

Reslone and Marvel Mystery oil,

F. Guffey
Old September 9, 2010, 03:28 AM   #57
Ike1371

I use transmission fluid to lube my guns, especially my semi autos. Cosmoline for long term storage.
Old September 15, 2010, 11:49 AM   #58
Elkshed

Bear greeze an' skunk erl. Both best if real fresh, so's keep one of each under yer bench.
Old September 15, 2010, 12:12 PM   #59
Single Six

I've been using Break Free CLP for over 20 years on my personal as well as issued weapons. No complaints.