The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2021, 04:49 PM   #26
Forte S+W

Okay, I'm not sure what those two comments have to do with your comments regarding bears not fearing the sight nor sound of a Shockwave, which was what I was referring to, but no matter...

No, I have not shot the Shockwave while holding it up at eye level while loaded with Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3" Shells. However, it can be done, and I do intend to do it myself. Although I cannot stress enough that if fired that way then one must employ a firm grip in which one pushes forward on the pump while pulling backward on the grip in order to brace it.
Also, Full Disclosure: I am an amateur bodybuilder with a daily workout routine, but if older gentlemen like Hickock45 who clearly aren't bodybuilders can do it, then I don't think that such is a requirement to shoot it that way.
Furthermore, I strongly recommend that anyone who hasn't shot the Mossberg 590 Shockwave or similar PGO Scattergun start off with ordinary 2.5" Shells and shoot it using the aforementioned method of tucking the end of the grip between their bicep and pectoral when firing it. Again, there is most certainly a learning curve when it comes to shooting such a firearm and attempting to sprint before you have learned to walk upright will most likely result in injury.

Last but not least, the Mossberg 590 Shockwave's receiver is drilled and tapped, so you can attach a picatinny rail as well as various sighting accessories to make it easier to aim accurately without needing to hold it up in front of your face, and if you intend to use it for Bear Defense, then I would recommend something like a Laser Sight in order to facilitate faster, more accurate shooting, without the need to hold it up and attempt to firmly grasp it while using the itty bitty brass bead sight at a charging bear.

I would like to think that these things are common sense, but on the off chance that they are not or otherwise someone decides to denigrate me because I didn't mention them in my already lengthy posts on the subject, here they are.

Last edited by Forte S+W; September 20, 2021 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Misread question, edited answer accordingly.
Old September 21, 2021, 09:51 PM   #27
BourbonCowboy

I'm not sure why anyone would want to shoot 3" Magnum shells in a Shockwave. I tested some Aguila and Techrim slugs and they left a 1" deep hole in a large oak tree. While I hope I never have to defend myself against a bear, I think the Shockwave would definitely be a viable option.
Old September 22, 2021, 08:06 PM   #28
Forte S+W

Because Brenneke Black Magic Magnum Slugs have a roaring Grizzly printed right on the box, the 2.5" Black Magic Shells only have a Buck printed on the box!

But seriously, it's because most Slugs are designed with Deer in mind, whereas the 3" Brenneke Slugs actually were designed for Bear, so if you're going to carry a Shotgun into the woods, it makes sense to load it with ammo that was intended for Bear.
Old September 23, 2021, 10:57 AM   #29
Lima Oscar 7

I live in a mountain. We have daily trash service due to Bears. My first impulse is to try to get out of their way and not seem like prey. 12 gauge, .45-70 or whatever, you better aim small and miss small. Bear spray is standard for all of us around here. It’s the price you may to live in an idiot-free environment.
Old September 24, 2021, 06:31 PM   #30
Dfariswheel

This reminds me of a story written by one of the old time gun magazine writers about his time in the North woods logging industry.

He knew they had problems with bears and asked some of the old timer Scandinavian loggers what to do.
The told him to carry a shotgun loaded with bird shot........

"Ya, ven da bear starts to pester ya, yust shoot i'm in da face 'til he goes avay".