The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: When looking at guns during a shortage
I want a gun in a cartridge that I already have, or is well established 27 87.10%
I am open guns with new cartridges that are just getting started 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28, 2022, 07:03 PM   #26
eflyguy

I've never needed any firearm I've owned to be "worked on", so that means (by my sample) every sample of everything I own is 100% reliable?

Abraham Lincoln once said 80% of statistics on the interwebs were made up.. or something like that.
Old January 31, 2022, 02:12 PM   #27
shafter

I'd rather have something popular because that's what the factories are going to be churning out. In the best of times they may only make one production run of the less popular calibers so they probably wouldn't even bother at all during a time of really high demand.

Never hurts to have variety though because you never know what might turn up on the shelves.
Old January 31, 2022, 03:30 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I'd rather have something popular because that's what the factories are going to be churning out.
of course, there is wisdom in this, but there is also another side of the coin, and that is, the most popular rounds are in greatest demand and you are competing with a LOT of other buyers.

Not too long ago people were complaining about how there was no 9mm or .45 on the shelves, only .40S&W....

Reason? fewer people were buying .40 S&W so there was still unsold ammo.

Choosing a less popular, less common round has some advantages, IF you are smart enough to take advantage of them, BEFORE the stocks run out.

Yes, the less popular stuff is going to be the last thing on the maker's list as they try to keep up with demand, but that also means its likely the last thing left available on the shelves with the more popular stuff has all been snapped up.
Old January 31, 2022, 04:41 PM   #29
Sevens

^^^totally true, but expand on it a bit also…

-WHEN- they produce ammo to respond to the monstrous demand, the stuff that WAS still on the shelf and was down the list of demand is also far down the list to re-stock and resupply.

If you feel like a victim to a volatile market, I get that, I understand. Your best bet is to diversify. You can improve your chances of finding ammo on the shelf if you are looking at all the shelves as potential options.
Old January 31, 2022, 07:10 PM   #30
Rob228

Since the pandemic hit I've bought a few new calibers:
.45 Colt
6.5 creedmoor.

The only ammo I have trouble finding is the .45 Colt.
Old January 31, 2022, 08:23 PM   #31
TRX

> .45 Colt

It came out in 1872, and people have been predicting its demise since, oh, probably 1900... I expect some will be on the shelves again soon enough.
Old February 3, 2022, 12:59 PM   #32
Skans

I still consider the 5.7 a relatively new cartridge. I would only consider getting one as a SD/carry pistol. With the cost of ammo, and the likelihood that 5.7 could be hard to find, I would not be stockpiling a bunch of 5.7 to practice with. Other than considering that, I stick with 9mm and 10mm for handguns.

Oh, I have plenty of other guns in different calibers. But, my carry guns are 3 different 9mm's and 1 40. I will occasionally shoot my 10mm - great for bowling pins.
Old February 3, 2022, 08:45 PM   #33
SHR970

In my very biased opinion this is an answer to an unasked question. I live in a 10+1 state so what exactly does this gain for me? If you live in a free state what does this gain you?

They are squeezing / promoting a round count rather than a smaller hard hitting option in a smaller grip size for those who have samller hands... like most women.

Just my $.02 from a smaller than average male. And for the record I still love my SIG 239 in 9mm. Now shave the grip space for the smaller rounds and DO NOT put those stupid finger grooves into the grips and you would have a winner for one of the largest growth segments in the industry.
Old February 4, 2022, 03:13 PM   #34
stagpanther

Like the 350 legend--I'm sure it will be another smash hit for Federal. () I think they should call the next one the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

Last edited by stagpanther; February 5, 2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old February 4, 2022, 08:45 PM   #35
emissary1911

Just one question WHY ?
Old February 5, 2022, 09:01 AM   #36
603Country

Reload for what you shoot. I haven’t bought a factory round of anything but 380ACP since about 1985. And now I load for 380, which I tried to avoid.

And another thing…with all the shortages we’ve had in ammo and reloading components over the last couple of decades, anybody that hasn’t laid in at least a minimum quantity of what they shoot isn’t that alert.

As for all these new calibers, for the most part they just duplicate existing calibers. The marketing hype makes them sound like the latest and greatest. They are late, but are they really great or greater?
Old February 5, 2022, 12:26 PM   #37
rickyrick

Only two things, well, make that three things I wish I had bought.
A lever gun, probably in .45 colt or something like that.
A bolt gun in .308 because a have a fair amount of that ammunition.
And a shotgun a little nicer than my 500a
Old February 5, 2022, 01:42 PM   #38
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Only two things, well, make that three things I wish I had bought.
A lever gun, probably in .45 colt or something like that.
A bolt gun in .308 because a have a fair amount of that ammunition.
And a shotgun a little nicer than my 500a
Just got a lever gun in 44mag/spl. I considered the colt, but I felt the mag was more flexible ammo selection wise. 45colt lever guns have been reasonably available in my area. local shop has them between 820 to 850 depending on the model. pretty sure you could buy one and have it shipped to a local FFL. https://www.madisonoutdoors.net/price-list-crd2

Can't go wrong with a 30cal bolt gun.

you can't go wrong with a mossberg 500. Nice is subjective, but they are reliable and dependable and you don't have to worry about a little ding here or there. They are nice IMHO, just not fancy.
Old February 5, 2022, 06:51 PM   #39
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Can't go wrong with a 30cal bolt gun.
Actually, you can!
Old February 5, 2022, 07:09 PM   #40
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Actually, you can!
Well... I did go wrong with the mossberg patriot.... your right. But in general most modern 308 bolt guns are pretty good. Just do a little research first before you buy.
Old February 26, 2022, 12:05 PM   #41
rickyrick

Woopsies, just ordered a mossberg patriot lol. I did research, just not here. Couldn’t find anything different about the other available rifles at that price point. Reviews across different sites lead me to this rifle... I guess I will see, lol. Not many rifles available really. I pick it up today. I don’t expect much out of a 300$ gun anyway. But I was inspired to purchase a bolt gun based on this thread, I have a bunch of .308 and 7.62nato ammunition with nothing to shoot it with really. I have a beautiful wood stocked FAL that I like to look at, but I hate shooting it lol.

I did research on TFL too, just not on this thread.