Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 6, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1
News Shooter

So much for not firing warning shots

Pacers' Jackson Fires Gun at Strip Club

Updated 11:09 AM ET October 6, 2006

By CLIFF BRUNT

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Stephen Jackson of the Indiana Pacers was slugged in the mouth, struck by a car and fired a gun in the air in self-defense outside a strip club early Friday, police said.

The player was limping but refused medical treatment at the scene, police spokesman Sgt. Matthew Mount said. Jackson conferred with a team trainer and sought treatment at a hospital.

There were no reports of anyone being hit by gunfire, and police did not make any immediate arrests. Police were looking for the car that struck Jackson and others involved. Jackson was at the Indianapolis club with teammates Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels and Jimmie Hunter, police said.

Jackson told officers he fired his 9 mm pistol five times after he was hit in the mouth and was tossed on the hood of the car, Mount said.

Coach Rick Carlisle declined comment Friday, and calls by The Associated Press to team president Larry Bird and team chief executive Donnie Walsh weren't immediately returned. The Pacers planned to release a statement later in the day. A message was left with Jackson's agent, Dan Fegan.
Advertisement

The mayhem began with an argument inside the club involving patrons and players, Mount said. The players said they left the club, but the patrons followed them.

"At some point when leaving the club, a verbal altercation ensued ... that turned into a physical altercation," Mount said.

Tinsley and Daniels also had guns in their cars, and all three armed players had weapons permits, Mount said, although Daniels' permit was issued by Florida.

Jackson was suspended 30 games for his role in a brawl with Detroit Pistons fans at Auburn Hills, Mich., two seasons ago. Last season, he repeatedly argued with officials and his coach, and was singled out by Bird for his negative attitude.

Jackson pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault charges related to Auburn Hills and was sentenced to probation and community service.

Bird said in May his players must shape up or play elsewhere next season. He said he was through dealing with what he said were bad attitudes, selfishness and laziness.

"They're the ones that have to make the changes," he said at the time. "If they can't make the changes, yes, we have to look to move them."

Jackson, a 28-year-old guard, joined the Pacers in 2004 and averaged 16 points during the 2005-06 season.

During a recent news conference, he hugged Carlisle and sat by his side to answer questions _ a gesture the Pacers hoped would symbolize improved team chemistry. That happened a day after Carlisle signed a contract extension and was given the title of executive vice president of basketball operations.

___

Associated Press Writer Deanna Martin in Indianapolis contributed to this report.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old October 6, 2006, 01:16 PM   #2
azurefly

Tell me that if any one of us (cops among us notwithstanding, I guess) fired five times into the air after simply being punched in the mouth, that we would not be locked up, held on a high bail, and tried for any number of crimes. :barf:

-azurefly
Old October 6, 2006, 01:41 PM   #3
HangFire83

At least they had permits for the firearms.....unlike Maurice Clarette.

Jeff Cooper.
Old October 6, 2006, 02:04 PM   #4
azurefly

Can't say I'm fully pleased that people like them have permits to carry firearms. They don't represent the good traits of most CCWers. These are selfish, greedy, immature losers, paid far too much, egos pumped far too much; they are the boys taken out of the ghetto who still haven't had the ghetto taken out of them (and never will). They carry guns with permits because they know they travel in circles, deliberately, in which they may have to use them. The antithesis of the responsible CCWer.

Hadn't they just been in a BAR? Someplace that serves alcohol? And he had his gun on him. Was that not against a law, or at least a condition of the CCW permit?

-azurefly
Old October 6, 2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Trip20

Quote:
Tell me that if any one of us (cops among us notwithstanding, I guess) fired five times into the air after simply being punched in the mouth, that we would not be locked up, held on a high bail, and tried for any number of crimes.
While not as dramatic as your prediction, this thread kinda proves your point.

The dude in that thread wasn't punched in the mouth and hit by a car like the b-ball player. He was only confronted by a drunk man trying to get into his home. The guy in that thread had one unaimed shot, not 5 into the air like the b-ball player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Jackson, a 28-year-old guard, joined the Pacers in 2004 and averaged 16 points during the 2005-06 season.

During a recent news conference, he hugged Carlisle and sat by his side to answer questions _ a gesture the Pacers hoped would symbolize improved team chemistry. That happened a day after Carlisle signed a contract extension and was given the title of executive vice president of basketball operations.
To be fair, charges may still follow for the b-ball player - who knows. But I still find it funny that "team chemistry" and other basketball related items were of importance to mention in the article, rather than sticking to the actual shooting story. It's good to be a celebrity.
Old October 6, 2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Stephen Jackson of the Indiana Pacers was slugged in the mouth, struck by a car and fired a gun in the air in self-defense outside a strip club early Friday, police said.
Emphasis mine.

I wonder if the articles author would call it self-defense if this article were about any other Regular Joe. I didn't know it was possible to defend yourself from air by shooting it.

If this article were about a Regular Joe like myself, it would possibly say, "Trip20, in a fit of maniacle rage, fires shots outside of strip club at school bus for reasons unknown at this time. Brings to question the merits of recent concealed-carry attempts by gun lobbyists in Wisconsin."

Ok I'm done kidding now.
Old October 6, 2006, 06:26 PM   #7
brj

This is the kind of guy who gives the NBA in particular and professional athletes in general a bad reputation.

The 30 game suspension mentioned in this article was handed down by the NBA after Jackson, along with a teammate, rushed into the stands and assaulted fans in Detroit who had thrown debris on the court. It should be noted that neither player was armed at the time.

Statistically, Jackson currently leads the league in shots attempted. He is also considered by many to be a leading candidate to someday complete his career in the Indiana Department of Corrections League.
Old October 6, 2006, 06:36 PM   #8
poortrader

Indiana honors almost every states CCW. The part about the Daniel's CCW being issued from Florida was stupid, un-researched, liberal comment.

NRA Life Member
Old October 6, 2006, 06:52 PM   #9
azurefly

I thought that was just a clarification to avoid people misconstruing that he had an Indiana permit. There was nothing pejorative added to that statement.

-azurefly
Old October 6, 2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Savage10FP308

Are you kidding?

"Can't say I'm fully pleased that people like them have permits to carry firearms. They don't represent the good traits of most CCWers. These are selfish, greedy, immature losers, paid far too much, egos pumped far too much; they are the boys taken out of the ghetto who still haven't had the ghetto taken out of them (and never will). They carry guns with permits because they know they travel in circles, deliberately, in which they may have to use them. The antithesis of the responsible CCWer."

That has to be one of the most blatantly racist things I have ever read.:barf:
Do you know any of these people you speak of personally? You sure know a lot about "people like them". I run with a guy from the "ghetto" on our college track team. He happens to be black and extremely athletic. I have never seen him lose a 400m dash. I guess since he is black then he is a selfish, greedy, immature loser with a pumped up ego. WRONG. He is the hardest worker on the team. He is a great team leader. He holds a 3.25 on a 4.0 GPA scale. He also works 30 hours a week with me at the university housing department. I guess somebody forgot to tell him he's from the ghetto. And I suppose Stephen Jackson should have let the guy/guys beat him to within an inch of his life or worse. I agree that he could have fired one shot instead of five but just because the guy beating you down isn't armed doesn't mean he isn't a deadly threat. He protected himself and didn't harm anyone in the process. "Responsible CCWers" have done far worse!:barf:
Old October 6, 2006, 08:11 PM   #11
azurefly

Quote:
"Can't say I'm fully pleased that people like them have permits to carry firearms. They don't represent the good traits of most CCWers. These are selfish, greedy, immature losers, paid far too much, egos pumped far too much; they are the boys taken out of the ghetto who still haven't had the ghetto taken out of them (and never will). They carry guns with permits because they know they travel in circles, deliberately, in which they may have to use them. The antithesis of the responsible CCWer."

That has to be one of the most blatantly racist things I have ever read.

Get real. :barf:

There was nothing racist about it, and I didn't mention race -- YOU did.

"Ghetto" refers to attitude in what I wrote, and if I was being prejudiced against any group, it was professional athletes, who tend to be egomaniacal, undereducated, underintelligent, underarticulate, hyper-self-absorbed, irresponsible losers. If the ones I'm talking about (in this case) happen to be black, so be it. The article didn't mention their race, and neither did I.

It says something that you and I both have suspicions that these athletes, who go to clubs armed, hang out with troublemakers, and get into trouble and can't manage to have a non-violent night on the town, are black.

Are they? I still don't have confirmation of that detail.

So shut up calling me racist. You know nothing of what you speak.

P.S. Are you prepared to argue that Stephen Jackson and his friends in this case are all upstanding members of society, never been in trouble, never caused trouble, people YOU like representing CCW license holders?

The guy's coach, himself says that he's selfish, lazy, and has a "bad attitude." Nothing like your friend. So why are you defending him?

-azurefly
Old October 6, 2006, 08:37 PM   #12
Trip20

Quote:
That has to be one of the most blatantly racist things I have ever read.
You must live a sheltered life.

This thread is toast.
Old October 6, 2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Savage10FP308

Ok!

you said "These are boys who have been taken out of the ghetto" which refers to where they are from. All of the people named are african americans. You claim someone is selfish and lazy and has a bad attitude and you don't even know them. Of all people gun owners should know how much the media distorts reality, so before you go spouting off personal attacks about people you dont even know you may want to stop and think.
Old October 6, 2006, 09:26 PM   #14
azurefly

I guess I just read the freakin' ARTICLE and you didn't, or something.

The guy's OWN COACH said he was lazy and had a bad attitude.

Just how many dozens of stories about such inflated-ego athletes who leave ghettos for million-dollar sports contracts committing crimes do I have to read before I can start to make some reasonable assumptions, anyway?

The same goes, pretty much, for "rap stars." How many shootings have to happen there before we can say something as valid as "they've left the ghetto, but the ghetto is still in them"? True is true. If it happens that they are afric-- I mean black, is that my fault? If these guys were any other color, acting ignorant in the same way, pulling guns and shooting around in populated areas, I'd be condemning them, too.

You talk about not knowing them -- do you know ME?! How the hell do you know what I'm like, and whether I'm "racist"? From a handful of posts by me that you may have read?

I stand by my characterization of these miscreants. A bunch of juvenile, ego-inflated idiots who are given money and prestige far far beyond what their puny maturity levels can handle. But don't take my word for it: take their coach's.

-azurefly
Old October 6, 2006, 10:16 PM   #15
Savage10FP308

Sorry...

maybe you aren't racist. I guess the problem is you can't read.

"Coach Rick Carlisle declined comment"

"Bird said in May his players must shape up or play elsewhere next season. He said he was through dealing with what he said were bad attitudes, selfishness and laziness."

"They're the ones that have to make the changes," he said at the time. "If they can't make the changes, yes, we have to look to move them."

It wasn't their coach saying that, it was their team president.
Old October 6, 2006, 10:26 PM   #16
azurefly

You're right -- my mistake. It was the team president.

I imagine his say-so counts for even more than the coach's. He is, after all, the guy who could fire and hire coaches, right?

Either way, my point was -- and I'm sure you knew this but it wasn't convenient when you just wanted to play the race card -- that people who know this guy have been saying things like what I was saying I suspected of him.

You said that I don't know him. Well, people who do are saying he's a selfish person with a bad attitude.

-azurefly
Old October 6, 2006, 11:00 PM   #17
Savage10FP308

Larry Bird also said...

only black kids are good at basketball. About a year ago he made (not word for word) but a similar statement in an interview aired on ESPN. I guess he forgot about himself. Azurefly, let me extend a sincere apology. I read to much into your post and called you a racist. I shouldn't have. I was wrong and I know that now. I would ask you to please forgive me but if I were you I might not so you do what you feel like. Honestly though, I apologize!
Old October 6, 2006, 11:23 PM   #18
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Well, so much for a meaningful discussion on warning shots.

At the very least, off topic.

Closed, for some seriously disappointing thread drift.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread