The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 10, 2020, 10:44 AM   #1
schotzfyred

Copper fouling

I came into a BLR from a family member.
Started to clean up the gun and running a patch thru the barrel, I saw some heavy copper color [green] on the patch.
I have cleaned the barrel a minimum of 20 times with Hoppes 9 and i still get green patches after using a stiff brush and letting the 9 soak in the barrel, sometimes over night.
Obviously the prior owner didn't take care of the gun over the 20 years he owned it.
Looking for suggestions on getting that copper out...

John "Duke" Wayne
Old November 10, 2020, 01:21 PM   #2
50 shooter

You need to clean smarter, times change, technology moves us forward.

Get a bottle of Boretech's Eliminator copper solvent, follow the directions. They even have a more heavy duty cleaner, CU+2.

Both will get rid of copper like now, get a stainless steel jag, that way you don't get a false positive from a brass one.

This stuff is non hazardous, very light smell but nothing that will drive your wife crazy! You can use it indoors or out, whatever you need to do. By far one of the best cleaners on the market.

Just don't order it from them, they have some weird shipping costs. Get it from one of the big box gun stores.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 10, 2020, 03:22 PM   #3
schotzfyred

I've used Hoppes 9 for 60 years [ just had my 80th] and all my guns are copper free. The problem is my family member didn't clean this gun very well or often
I'll try the Boretech or the CU+2.
Thanks.

John "Duke" Wayne
Old November 10, 2020, 03:49 PM   #4
Scorch

Boretech works well, but is sometimes hard to find. Outers makes a foaming bore cleaner that works like a charm to remove copper, and is very easy to find at local gun shops, WalMart, KMart, etc.
Old November 10, 2020, 04:06 PM   #5
bamaranger

Copper

I've not found that Hoppe's #9 is all that effective on copper, but it has served well as a carbon and powder solvent and preservative for me. Hoppe's Benchrest does a little bit better job on copper, but not by much.

What has worked well, with little effort, is Breakfree Foaming bore cleaner. Two treatments, one over the course of 20-30 minutes, and the second overnight, has solved copper problems on my two most stubborn rifles.
Old November 10, 2020, 04:26 PM   #6
stagpanther

I recently switched from Boretech to KG 12--which IMO is much better.
Old November 10, 2020, 04:42 PM   #7
musicmatty

I removed this post for supplying the wrong information, my apologies.

Last edited by musicmatty; November 10, 2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old November 10, 2020, 06:12 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Personally I have had really good luck with Bore Tech. Their regular bore cleaner, Eliminator, seems to do a really good job of both cleaning and keeping copper fouling down when used regularly. They also have a CU+2, which is their dedicated copper remover for heavy copper fouling. I have not tried the Cu+2 as I use the Eliminator as my regular bore cleaner and it works well. Also, no crazy harsh smells, and it wont hurt your barrel no matter how long you leave it in. Just follow the instructions.

Here's a link to their site, you can order it from other places but you can get a look at it.
https://www.boretech.com/categories/gun-cleaners/bore-cleaners
Old November 10, 2020, 06:13 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

which boretech. Eliminator or CU+2? I have heard a lot of good things about the KG 12 lately.
Old November 10, 2020, 10:21 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

MUSICMATTY........

That is a valid way to clean a SMOOTH BORE gun but will RUIN a rifled barrel.

People hear about running a brush in a drill in a shotgun and figure it'll work in a rifled barrel.
It will ruin a rifled bore in short order.
People can't understand how a bronze brush can harm a steel barrel until you explain the concept of a lapping rod, which is a brass or bronze rod that's used to lap steel smooth.

A cleaning brush run by a drill in a rifled barrel will quickly round off the critical sharp edges of the rifling.
A cleaning rod pushed by hand down a barrel will not harm the rifling, but rotating the brush will.

One missed problem with getting copper out of a barrel is when using a bronze/copper brush you forget that the brush itself will coat the bore with a layer of copper.
People have had fits cleaning and cleaning a barrel until they learn that what they're often seeing is the copper fouling left by previous passes with the brush.

A good way to clean copper out is to let chemicals do the work, not mechanical brushing.
Just run a brush through the bore with a copper solvent 5 passes or so, then run a soaked patch through.
Let it soak only as long as the bottle label says, about a max of 30 minutes for most copper solvents, then run a clean soaked patch through.
Inspect it for green or blue copper stains, and if you see any, let it soak longer and try another clean soaked patch.
Continue until you see no copper stains.

Also as above, use an aluminum or stainless patch holder to prevent getting a false-positive from the brass jags.

My long range shooting buddy recommends Bore Tec CU+2.
He says it works extremely well, and has much less odor.
Best of all, it's supposed to be harmless to the barrel, unlike many copper solvents that can do damage if left in too long.
He uses this in his $15,000 accuracy rifles.
Old November 10, 2020, 10:27 PM   #11
musicmatty

Quote:
MUSICMATTY........

That is a valid way to clean a SMOOTH BORE gun but will RUIN a rifled barrel.

People hear about running a brush in a drill in a shotgun and figure it'll work in a rifled barrel.
It will ruin a rifled bore in short order.

My apologies! Yes, this works very well for smooth Bore only.
Old November 10, 2020, 10:29 PM   #12
GeauxTide

JBs Non-Embedding Bore Paste will get the copper right out. The last few months, I've been using Shooters Lube and it's amazing.
Old November 11, 2020, 01:52 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

It's not the brand of solvent. It's the method of use.
Plug the muzzle with a rubber cork, fill the barrel with solvent(vs endless patches/brushes) and leave it over night. Then clean as per normal. Repeat as required.
Old November 11, 2020, 02:26 PM   #14
Terrierman

I've had great results with Bore Tech Eliminator used according to their directions. But! Don't get it on a nicely finished wood stock. And don't ask me how I know either.
Old November 11, 2020, 02:43 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

DON'T EVER plug a bore and fill it with solvent and leave it overnight!
Most solvents will etch steel with prolonged contact. This method could ruin a barrel!
Old November 11, 2020, 04:07 PM   #16
50 shooter

Bill,
Boretech and other cleaners like it can be left in the barrel overnight. They're safe on all kinds of barrel steel.

Go to their website and read about their chemistry.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 12, 2020, 08:39 AM   #17
Doyle

I'm a KG-12 fan myself for copper.
Old November 12, 2020, 10:44 AM   #18
Bart B.

I've pushed and pulled bronze bore brushes both directions in rimfire and centerfire barrels. No ill effects at either crown or throat. Sometimes dry, other times wet with bore cleaner. No loss of accuracy for lives of the barrel.

Garand match barrels cleaned from the muzzle with bare steel rods wore away the lands and grooves and no copper wash the last half inch of the barrel. No loss of accuracy, still testing under MOA at 600 yards.

Last edited by Bart B.; November 12, 2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old November 12, 2020, 07:13 PM   #19
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzfyred View Post
I've used Hoppes 9 for 60 years [ just had my 80th] and all my guns are copper free. The problem is my family member didn't clean this gun very well or often
I'll try the Boretech or the CU+2.
Thanks.
Don't forget to let us know how it turns out.
Old November 12, 2020, 08:49 PM   #20
hounddog409

"I've used Hoppes 9 for 60 years"

Do you still heat your house with coal or oil?

Times change. There are numerous products that are 1000x better than Hoppes.

Don't be afraid of change or to learn new stuff my friend.

Buy a quality copper solvent as mentioned and let it do the work.
Old November 15, 2020, 03:04 PM   #21
RC20

Quote:
You need to clean smarter, times change, technology moves us forward.

Get a bottle of Boretech's Eliminator copper solvent, follow the directions. They even have a more heavy duty cleaner, CU+2.

Both will get rid of copper like now, get a stainless steel jag, that way you don't get a false positive from a brass one.

This stuff is non hazardous, very light smell but nothing that will drive your wife crazy! You can use it indoors or out, whatever you need to do. By far one of the best cleaners on the market.

Just don't order it from them, they have some weird shipping costs. Get it from one of the big box gun stores.
Spot on, I don't worry about the jag though. It saved my marriange as Hoppe was doing my wife in, only place I cvould clean guns was outside (kind of hard raining)

I will add that most guns suffer more from Carb on and the Carbon Killer 2000 (also non haz and non smell) works wonders and is my go to.

I had a bit of copper streak in my 06 target a month back and cleaned it out with the Bore Tech.

A help is the LYman bore scope. Its not precision like Hawkeye but you can see if you are getting clean. Ergo, that is how I spotted the copper streaking.

For the Carbon Killer I take my cleaning stuff to eh range and I clean when the barrel is warm. It makes it faster. I used an eye dropper to drizzle on a nylon brush, then thorough the bore, drizzle more on when its out of the bore on the front, then a few stroked, a dry patch and repeat until clean.
Old November 15, 2020, 03:07 PM   #22
RC20

Quote:
It's not the brand of solvent. It's the method of use.
Plug the muzzle with a rubber cork, fill the barrel with solvent(vs endless patches/brushes) and leave it over night. Then clean as per normal. Repeat as required.
Yes it is. As usual you are wrong.

1. Bore tech and Carbon killer are non hazardous. Huge benefit for the cleaner and family.

2. They do not use brute force, they break molecular bonds. You can do it quite fast easy and safe.

Happy to leave you the nasty stuff. The rest of us can move onto more effective and safe.
Old November 15, 2020, 03:10 PM   #23
RC20

Quote:
Don't be afraid of change or to learn new stuff my friend.

Buy a quality copper solvent as mentioned and let it do the work.
Change itrself is not good. It can be good, bad or nuetral.

In this case chemistry has moved on and what you can get is good.

Just be sure its non haz and no odor. That is a plus for you primarily, but your family as well.

Others than Bore Tech and Carbon Killer 2000 may fit the same safe and effective bill, I don't know, those were in a report and I went with it and have not looked back (and my wife is immensely happy)

So, if you try something else, make sure it matches the non haz and low/no odor first, then is it effective and if you want guaranteed, the go with Bore Tech and Carbon Killer 2000.
Old November 15, 2020, 03:13 PM   #24
RC20

Quote:
DON'T EVER plug a bore and fill it with solvent and leave it overnight!
Most solvents will etch steel with prolonged contact. This method could ruin a barrel!

That is because they are brute force and will dissolve glass.

The new stuff (if its done right) attacks at a molecule level and is not like a bottle of goo from Chernobyl

I have in fact left both Bore Tech and CK2K in a barrel overnight (not plugged) to break up a rifle that was cleaned with Hopees for years (layer upon layer up layer of carbon mostly as the Hopees never got it all out.)

Once clean its a cinch of about 4-6 runs through with a brush and patch.
Old November 23, 2020, 08:46 PM   #25
hps1

Like most, I started out using Hoppe's 9. Shot HP rifle competition for years and somewhere along the line switched to Hoppe's Benchrest which is a better copper solvent than #9. Still hard to keep up w/copper fouling. Tried many different solvents, some quite harsh ammonia based, then found Tactical Advantage. TA works on both powder and copper fouling, unlike most solvents. More about TA here: https://sharpshootr.com/tactical-advantage/

308 BAR after 29 rounds w/Lyman bore scope:

Apply Tactical Advantage with 8 strokes of .308 Iosso stiff nylon bore brush, let soak overnight. (Note picture shows .338 bore brush)

Regards,
hps