The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 5, 2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Trooper Joe

Some 32 S&W long, revolvers

Picked up this Colt (made in 1915) several years ago. It is a Police Positive labeled ".32 Police Ctg. (which is the same as .32 S&W Long). Installed some re-popped grips, shot it a few times and put it in the safe.

Yesterday, while browsing at my local gun shop, I spotted this H&R revolver chambered in the .32 S&W Long. The gun looks like it has hardly ever been shot, so it followed me home. The gun has a "safety bar" so I guess it was made between 1973 and 1986. What a tank this thing is.

The guns are shown with some FMJ Fiocchi ammo which worked well. I put an order in for some 32 SW Long Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point from Magtech, in case I want to carry some more serious ammo.

Wouldn't mind trying some of the Buffalo Bore hard case ammo but I would probably only shoot it in the H&R and not the old Colt.

I think this love affair started when I was drooling over a nice S&W model 31 in .32 S&W Long several years ago at a gun show. Should have bought it because since then the only other one I have seen was this year at a gun show in Florida for about $700 (I think the first one I saw I could have picked up for about $500).

I guess Theodore Roosevelt, when he was the Police Commissioner in NYC in the early 1900's, was on to something when he outfitted the NYPD with .32 revolvers. (I know there were not a bunch of hopped up "meth heads" running around then, so I guess a .32 was OK for the police at that time.)

Just thought I would share this with the forum gang. No, I do not plan on carrying my H&R. Well maybe if I bought some Buffalo Bore ammo, hmmmmm'.

Trooper Joe
Old May 5, 2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's very odd just how much love the .32 gets from people (revolvers and semi-autos).

I've never quite figured it out, but then again, I've been way too busy loving on my many and various .32s!

In .32 Long I have a Colt Police Positive almost exactly like the one you have.

I have a Smith & Wesson Regulation Police from sometime in the 1920s.

I went from coveting an S&W Model 31 to buying one, a snubby, several years ago.

I also have an old .32 S&W US Revolver Company that belonged to my Great Grandfather.

I have a Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20, and a Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector in .32-20.

Finally, I have a CZ 70 in .32 ACP.

And I have always wanted a Colt Model 1903 and a Remington Model 51 in .32.

There is quite a lot to love with the .32s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 5, 2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Soclosenotnear

Nice. I shot my old Rossi snub nose in .32 long for the first time this weekend and was surprised how well I could shoot it. Accurate little gun. The .32's love is well warranted.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Quote:
And I have always wanted a Colt Model 1903 and a Remington Model 51 in .32.
I have the Colt. I foolishly sold my Remington .380 because it would not feed hollowpoints. Now I use FMJ in .380 anyhow. If I saw a Remington .32 at a .380 price, I would be interested.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I came across this Colt Police Positive 32 a few years ago. It was made in 1917.

I have a couple of S&W 32 caliber Regulation Police revolvers. This one left the factory in 1925.

A pair of 32-20 revolvers. At top a Colt Police Positive Special made in 1926. The S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector at the bottom of the photo left the factory in 1916.

Although your 32 Police Positive is marked '32 POLICE CTG' (mine is too), the cartridge is usually referred to as the 32 New Police or Colt 32 New Police.

Yes, the 32 New Police was pretty much the same as the 32 S&W Long, except the Colt cartridge usually came with a flat point bullet, while the S&W cartridge usually came with a round nosed bullet. The round nosed cartridge in this photo, third from the left is a 32 S&W Long, the cartridge with the flat point next to it is a 32 New Police.

I am still on the lookout for the elusive S&W K32, or its successor, the Model 16.
Old May 5, 2017, 09:40 PM   #6
damienph

I also like .32 caliber. I have an old top break H&R in .32 S&W, an FIE in .32 S&W Long, an Armi Galesi model 9 in .32ACP and a S&W model 631 in .32 H&R Magnum. All good, fun shooters.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh, I forgot about my breaktop H&R .32 S&W that belonged to my Father's grandfather!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:25 AM   #8
Water-Man

I have a Ruger LCR 327 Fed Mag. Since I've recently had total shoulder replacement, I switched ammo to 32 S&W Long because of less recoil.

I can say with conviction that 32 S&W Long is very accurate accurate ammo although not very powerful. The Fiocchi I'm using has a velocity of 800 fps.

Still enough to be effective with good shot placement.
Old May 6, 2017, 05:15 AM   #9
tallball

Great pics!

I have a revolver from H&R's "sister company", NEF, that looks a lot like yours. It's in 32 H&R magnum. It shoots just fine. I paid hardly anything for it.

My most interesting one is a S&W J-frame from around 1916. Its finish is in bad shape, but it's a good shooter. Again, it cost hardly anything.

32's are fun. I shoot a lot of 32 long reloads for targets or plinking. I have about half a dozen 32 revolvers and the same in autos.

My favorite two to shoot are my Ruger Single Six in 32 magnum and my Beretta Model 100 in 32acp. They have 6.5" and 6" barrels respectively, and are much more accurate than I am.

For someone with hand or wrist problems, 32 long is a way better choice than a 22, imho. The recoil is hardly any different (to me, anyway), and it shoots a much bigger chunk of lead.
Old May 6, 2017, 06:12 AM   #10
tallball

This thread needs an UGLY revolver picture! Here you go! It's actually a good little shooter. Apparently no one would bid on it due to the color. (It's a Charter Arms Undercoverette 32.)

Old July 28, 2017, 05:36 PM   #11
ChuteTheMall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood Johnson View Post
Howdy

Yes, the 32 New Police was pretty much the same as the 32 S&W Long, except the Colt cartridge usually came with a flat point bullet, while the S&W cartridge usually came with a round nosed bullet. The round nosed cartridge in this photo, third from the left is a 32 S&W Long, the cartridge with the flat point next to it is a 32 New Police.

Quote:
The round nosed cartridge in this photo, third from the left is a 32 S&W Long, the cartridge with the flat point next to it is a 32 New Police.

Oops Driftwood, I think you mixed up your left from your right.
Otherwise, a brilliant and informative post, as usual.
Old July 28, 2017, 08:52 PM   #12
Driftwood Johnson

Oops. You're right. Should be third from the right. Sometimes I get my left and right confused. For some reason, I can't go back and edit the post.
Old July 29, 2017, 07:46 PM   #13
Don Fischer

Quote:
Howdy

I came across this Colt Police Positive 32 a few years ago. It was made in 1917.

I have a couple of S&W 32 caliber Regulation Police revolvers. This one left the factory in 1925.

A pair of 32-20 revolvers. At top a Colt Police Positive Special made in 1926. The S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector at the bottom of the photo left the factory in 1916.

Although your 32 Police Positive is marked '32 POLICE CTG' (mine is too), the cartridge is usually referred to as the 32 New Police or Colt 32 New Police.

I am still on the lookout for the elusive S&W K32, or its successor, the Model 16.
I've got the mod 16. Only shoot cast bullet's in it and this is one sweet gun!
Old July 30, 2017, 06:42 AM   #14
Oldman11

I have the k.32 masterpiece,now we are talking about fine. Just wish I could fine another one.
Old July 31, 2017, 12:20 AM   #15
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

Look what I found yesterday. S&W 32 Hand Ejector, Postwar. 32 S&W Long. It's a bit finish challenged, probably refinished at some point, but the chambers and bore look like it just left the factory yesterday. Probably made around 1950.

I took it to the range today and put a box of Aguila 32 S&W Long through it. Delightful little revolver. Not much more recoil than a 22.
Old July 31, 2017, 01:51 AM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
I took it to the range today and put a box of Aguila 32 S&W Long through it. Delightful little revolver. Not much more recoil than a 22.
Feels exactly like a .22 to me, but I'm young and strong and can take recoil.

What I'm so tired of seeing is people asking what .22 revolver is best for self defense with certain conditions they have that don't allow shooting heavier recoil, even .38's. Any .22 revolver is going to have a heavy DA pull because the rimfire ignition system necessitates it. A .32 won't have that issue, it'll be easier for said person with ailments to shoot it and shoot it well.

Ballistic wise, .22 isn't going to beat a .32 bullet that weighs two or three times more. I've never seen any ballistic gel test of .32 S&W Long, but I can deduce that it will be a better performer. The only reason I think people focus on the .22 LR and Magnums is that they can actually find them at gun stores and ammo at Walmart.
Old July 31, 2017, 03:58 AM   #17
thibaultfelix40

I shoot 32's. I don't make pictures of them but I do give some of them names. My Beretta 81 is so sexy and elegant that I named it Sofia after another sexy Italian. My mid 20's Police Positive I call Spark Plug because I replaced the missing ejector knob with the nut do hickey off of a spark plug. In the 20's they began heat treating the S&W's and Colts. These guns should be stronger than the early ones. Most of the older reloading data I found is too hot. The older minimums are above the new maximums. 32 reloaders might want to take this into consideration. In my newer revolvers I shoot a lot of 32ACP. Sophia is quite willing to share. One of the merits of 32's is that the ammo is so small. One of my loads for older 32's is a grain of fast powder behind a single naught (0) Hornady buckshot that I push through a 0.312 sizing die and tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox. I have shot this load through my H&R Premier top break but it seemed sort of shaky. My conclusion is that 32 SWL is significantly under loaded for modern steel revolvers. I don't like the Smith J frames or Colt Police Positive Specials with 38 Special legnth cylinders for 32's. The pre-J Smith and real Colt Police Positive are such sweet little guns. My Smith is a post war, pre 31 that is truly at home with the 32 SWL. I am sure I could load the later model guns up to higher levels but if I want more there are all these 32 H&R, 327, 9mm, 357, 40, 44 Spl etc being made on what started out as 32 frames. I am not ready to get rid of my 32's.
Old July 31, 2017, 11:10 AM   #18
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
What I'm so tired of seeing is people asking what .22 revolver is best for self defense with certain conditions they have that don't allow shooting heavier recoil, even .38's. Any .22 revolver is going to have a heavy DA pull because the rimfire ignition system necessitates it. A .32 won't have that issue, it'll be easier for said person with ailments to shoot it and shoot it well.

Ballistic wise, .22 isn't going to beat a .32 bullet that weighs two or three times more. I've never seen any ballistic gel test of .32 S&W Long, but I can deduce that it will be a better performer. The only reason I think people focus on the .22 LR and Magnums is that they can actually find them at gun stores and ammo at Walmart.
I was not commenting on how good the 22 LR is for self defense. I merely stated that this little revolver had a very mild recoil. Period. Nothing else implied.

I'm old and weak, but I can still shoot 45 Colt loaded with Black Powder in a SAA. Age has nothing to do with it.
Old July 31, 2017, 07:04 PM   #19
TruthTellers

Quote:
I was not commenting on how good the 22 LR is for self defense. I merely stated that this little revolver had a very mild recoil. Period. Nothing else implied.

I'm old and weak, but I can still shoot 45 Colt loaded with Black Powder in a SAA. Age has nothing to do with it.
I know you weren't saying anything more than remarking on the recoil, but I had to use that as a point to show for nearly imperceptible increase in recoil, the end result is a better defensive round. Reloadable too.
Old August 11, 2017, 09:40 PM   #20
El Camino

.32 S&W I frame Date

Was wondering if anyone could help date a S&W .32 I frame 3" barrel serial # 536xxx
Old August 11, 2017, 11:07 PM   #21
Gaucho Gringo

A .32 auto was powerful enough to start WW1 and the wars afterwards.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8