The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 10, 2017, 07:29 PM   #26
Model12Win

Who are you to come up with something like that?

Many industry experts, including Tom Gresham and others, praise lasers on self defense pistols. They offer incredible benefits that could be life saving in a defensive scenario. A home defender is truly crippled if they don't have a laser sighting aid for defense and at a tremendous disadvantage to someone equipped with one.

Seriously, I don't think they're nearly as useful as some seem to think they are for the job. I specifically AVOID lights with lasers on them for the sake of simplicity, and of course because I never plan to use the laser. I think one should be trained to aim down the sights and use night sights and flashlights to positively identify the threat before engaging, not try and look for a little red laser and imitate RoboCop.
Old August 10, 2017, 10:17 PM   #27
Doc Holliday 1950

Found the guide rod(Glock 43) laser in red for $199.00 plus shipping through a Co. called
Natchezss.com brand new with a 30 day guarantee. I've bought Glock mags from them for 19.95/mag & not knock-offs. The price was not listed on line, it was in their monthly catalogue. I bought it today for the reasons that I last wrote and will follow-up later. Just an FYI. My Brother-in-Law(Delta Force) who is on active duty gave me the idea & I tend to pay attention to him when he talks about SD.

Doc
Old August 12, 2017, 05:21 PM   #28
Siggy-06

Congrats on your purchase Doc. Was it a Lasermax brand? Let me know if its possible to zero the guide rod laser. I was going to recommend a crimson trace that's grip activated. I really do like the idea of the guide rod one though.
Old August 12, 2017, 06:37 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Many industry experts, including Tom Gresham and others, praise lasers on self defense pistols.
Has nothing to do with the fact they get ro s of advertising money from the people who sell them!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 12, 2017, 09:00 PM   #30
Onward Allusion

The Lasermax Guide Rod laser is factory zeroed for 10 yards.

Crimson Trace Instant On Grip Lasers are great because they also allow for the use of almost any holster. The only issue is for right handed users who carry IWB/OWB small-of-back. Grip lasers stick out about 1/4" beyond the width of the grip. That 1/4" will dig into the user's back when carried right-handed SoB.
Old August 14, 2017, 03:41 PM   #31
Doc Holliday 1950

As promised. I received the Lasermaz Guide Rod Laser today. Took me 6 minutes to figure out how to remove the slide lock. It came out and I turned the frame upside down and the spring popped out. Placed to new spring, nipple down and slid the new slide lock in place as shown. with yellow dots facing me and reasembled the top and the frame with the new laser guide rod in place. The laser worked with a press of my pointer finger and now off I go to the range. Note: I am the biggest klutz when it comes to machinery. If I can do this, anyone can.
PS. U-Tube has several great videos on how to do this.

Doc
Old August 15, 2017, 03:56 PM   #32
Doc Holliday 1950

Went to my range today. Only shot the Glock 43 with the new Lasermax guide rod laser. Put over 100 rounds through it at 25 & 50 feet and ABSOLUTELY NO MISFIRES OR PROBLEMS of any kind or sort. The object was NOT to use the laser to aim. The object was would it work at home in the dark. Now I know it works & hope that I'll never need it home or anywhere else. At least I know it works!!!!!!!

BTW, it is zero'd out at 10 yards as advertised. Beats the CT laser grips IMHO.
I had 2 NRA certified Instructors next to me and I let them try it out. They loved it.

Doc
Old August 15, 2017, 06:32 PM   #33
O4L

Good deal! I am glad it worked out for you.