The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 2, 2022, 03:26 PM   #26
zukiphile

I had a compensator bushing on a 1911 30 years ago. I don't think it really compensated, but it was long enough that the slide could be racked by driving the comp itself into any firm object.

https://dbtac.com/product/db-tac-191...zed-tan-color/

https://www.johnmasen.com/Colt-1911-...e-p/4557gs.htm
Old October 2, 2022, 08:36 PM   #27
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I had a compensator bushing on a 1911 30 years ago. I don't think it really compensated, but it was long enough that the slide could be racked by driving the comp itself into any firm object.

https://dbtac.com/product/db-tac-191...zed-tan-color/

https://www.johnmasen.com/Colt-1911-...e-p/4557gs.htm
How do those attach? Mine is a commander, so it would kind of defeat the purpose.
Old October 3, 2022, 05:44 AM   #28
zukiphile

It's integral to the bushing.
Old October 3, 2022, 11:14 AM   #29
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
It's integral to the bushing.
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.
Old October 3, 2022, 03:00 PM   #30
Paul B.

I had one on one of my 1911s. It actually tightened groups and it acted like a better fitting bushing. I had to take is off as I most shoot cast bullets at full power and the burnt lube and ash would over time make the action sluggish. I prefer to not do a full field stripping every time I shoot the gun. I feel it may cause excess wear over time.
Whether it made any difference in recoil I really can't say. If there was any reduction, I didn't notice.
I have a two Ruger Super Blackhawks, an old model that someone had Magnaported and a New Model with unported barrel. Again, I saw no noticeable difference in the recoil.
It could be I'm somewhat insensible when it comes to recoil.
Paul B.
Old October 12, 2022, 06:51 PM   #31
langenc

My problem is knees and trying to walk around on the range..
Old October 13, 2022, 07:57 AM   #32
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
My problem is knees and trying to walk around on the range..
I have that problem as well, but mine is lower back and hip. I feel for you.
Old October 13, 2022, 12:30 PM   #33
seanc

USAF Ret: You said that your left thumb has been weakened by arthritis, does that also affect your left hand dexterity? Would that make reloading a revolver more difficult?
Old October 13, 2022, 01:14 PM   #34
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
USAF Ret: You said that your left thumb has been weakened by arthritis, does that also affect your left hand dexterity? Would that make reloading a revolver more difficult?
My hands have arthritis, which causes dexterity and strength issues. My left thumb, something happened with the tendon. I cannot bend it without extreme pain and have to wear a brace when it hurts. Pretty much makes doing anything with that hand tough. The only revolver I have is a Ruger Wrangler 22. I can load it, but it is a chore. The techniques folks gave me to help with racking the slide have been great. The 1911 is still pretty hard as the spring is stiff. Not so much on my striker fired pistols.
Old October 13, 2022, 10:30 PM   #35
Geezerbiker

Is it OK to talk about things we do to treat our arthritis?

One thing that I had to do was to stop drinking orange juice and in general cut my citrus intake to a bare minimum. It's harder to find Vitamin C taps that don't contain citrus but for me it's been worth it. One glass of orange juice and I can barely get out of a chair for 2 or 3 days...

Tony
Old October 14, 2022, 12:28 AM   #36
cdoc42

Geezerbiker, if the staffers don't feel this is an appropriate conversation, so be it, but I don't understand why 1 glass (assuming 8-oz) of OJ makes you less mobile. 8-oz contains 142 mg of Vitamin C. The dose I prescribed to ward off viral infections was 4000mg at the first sign of an infection. The next day I was fine. Doing this at the first sign of a cold had me "cold-free" until I got hammered visiting my son in California once many years ago.
Old October 14, 2022, 10:38 AM   #37
seanc

If we're talking cures, try collagen pills. I have osteoarthritis in both my knees (+ some sever wrestling & football injuries from my youth). Within a month of taking collagen, the constant pain in my knees is now just an occasional thing. I wasn't able to do any leg exercises for over 40 years without severe pain until last year. I've been able to now work my legs and it's helped with some nagging tendon issues in my elbows that I had too. I still can't run, but I've gained strength like I've never been able to before. I was taking glucosamine chondroitin for years, but gave that up last fall and haven't needed to take those pills since.
Old October 14, 2022, 11:35 AM   #38
kab37

Me too

I feel that USAF retired is speaking for me. I was just talking to my son about getting rid of my R1 and one of of my FEGs.

I bought an old Smith model 10 with an adjustment screw for the trigger spring for my handgun needs. Always have been mostly into rifles as my nanny state doesn't like LTCs.

Really can't stroll to the 100 yard range so have to ask for target help - don't like that. My Springfields and Krags are getting lonely.
These are the Golden Years ?

- Kab
Old October 14, 2022, 12:20 PM   #39
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab37 View Post
I feel that USAF retired is speaking for me. I was just talking to my son about getting rid of my R1 and one of of my FEGs.

I bought an old Smith model 10 with an adjustment screw for the trigger spring for my handgun needs. Always have been mostly into rifles as my nanny state doesn't like LTCs.

Really can't stroll to the 100 yard range so have to ask for target help - don't like that. My Springfields and Krags are getting lonely.
These are the Golden Years ?

- Kab
I can still stroll the 100 yards a few times, but I am usually stove up and not getting around for several days. Plus, the young-uns can walk back and forth several times by the time I get to my target.

On another note, I still have the dream of getting an elk. Was stationed in CO and UT for several years. All I did was bow hunt back then and never harvested one. That was in my 30s and I could hike those mountains back then. These days, I could not pull a 100 lb doe out of a field.

Idaho has a special elk hunt for disabled veterans. I am hoping to do that, before I won't be able to anymore.
Old October 15, 2022, 04:31 PM   #40
Paul B.

I can still stroll the 100 yards a few times, but I am usually stove up and not getting around for several days. Plus, the young-uns can walk back and forth several times by the time I get to my target.

On another note, I still have the dream of getting an elk. Was stationed in CO and UT for several years. All I did was bow hunt back then and never harvested one. That was in my 30s and I could hike those mountains back then. These days, I could not pull a 100 lb doe out of a field.

Idaho has a special elk hunt for disabled veterans. I am hoping to do that, before I won't be able to anymore.

I've been disabled for a while and it doesn't get any better.Until my last MRI I didn't have too much trouble walking with a cane, but also having Meniere's Disease, a two plus hour session having an MRI done has pretty much made it so I now need to use a walker. Vertigo is a more common name for Meniere's disease.
If you would like to take a cow elk, before I got too badly messed up I would do one every year with an outfitter in New Mexico. A private land hunt for cow elk that favors us not so nimble old fogeys. Basically, you ride around in a pick up truck until you spot the elk. Ypu get out of the truck and shoot. I'm the first to admit it's not my favorite way to hunt but one has to recognize his limitations. It's between you and the guide. If you want to get out and try a stalk you're welcome to do so. I have two bad knees so walking in uneven ground was difficult and I don't like falling down. So, I get out of the truck and use the hood for a rest. I've taken 6 elk off the place and the Good Lord a'willin' maybe if I lick this damn cancer I'll get at least one more hunt before I go. FWIW, I'm 84 years old and I don't give up easy. If you want details on the hunt just PM me and ask.
Paul B.
Old October 15, 2022, 09:12 PM   #41
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post

I've been disabled for a while and it doesn't get any better.Until my last MRI I didn't have too much trouble walking with a cane, but also having Meniere's Disease, a two plus hour session having an MRI done has pretty much made it so I now need to use a walker. Vertigo is a more common name for Meniere's disease.
If you would like to take a cow elk, before I got too badly messed up I would do one every year with an outfitter in New Mexico. A private land hunt for cow elk that favors us not so nimble old fogeys. Basically, you ride around in a pick up truck until you spot the elk. Ypu get out of the truck and shoot. I'm the first to admit it's not my favorite way to hunt but one has to recognize his limitations. It's between you and the guide. If you want to get out and try a stalk you're welcome to do so. I have two bad knees so walking in uneven ground was difficult and I don't like falling down. So, I get out of the truck and use the hood for a rest. I've taken 6 elk off the place and the Good Lord a'willin' maybe if I lick this damn cancer I'll get at least one more hunt before I go. FWIW, I'm 84 years old and I don't give up easy. If you want details on the hunt just PM me and ask.
Paul B.
I am so sorry about your medical condition. You will be in my prayers, sir. My hat is off to you, at 84 and still getting out and doing what you can and I hope and pray you have a few hunts left. My Dad is 84 as well and he shot the biggest buck of his life last year. With a rifle he had built and his own handloads.

I am only 54, but have really been hard on my body, especially when I was in the military. Being Superman when you are young catches up with you. I am a 90% disabled veteran.

Like you said, you just have to adjust and try to enjoy life the best you can. Because fighting it just wears you out and wastes time. It took me a while, but I finally came to that realization. Many dreams I had won't happen. So, I just adjust and have different dreams. Maybe not as adventurous, but still getting out and enjoying life.

I will certainly PM you. Thank you.
Old October 16, 2022, 03:15 PM   #42
FITASC

Quote:
That's the thing about triggers, if I move to a revolver, I would have to have something with a lighter trigger. It sucks because I have about 10 different semi-auto pistols and am actually having a 1911 built by my LGS. Started that project before my hands got so bad. So, I need to talk to the gunsmith about the springs.
Cocking the hammer helps as well as using the "push-pull" method that Pax (Kathy Jackson) used to promote where the gun is held close to the chest and one hand pushes about halfway while the other pulls about halfway
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 16, 2022, 09:09 PM   #43
kc.38

I understand the topic of disabilities. I am now in my 70th year and have developed a muscle waisting disease which continues to limit my abilities. As of now I have no grip in my hands and no strength in my fingers to where I cannot even turn a doorknob. I have attached skateboard grip tape to the slides on my autos and use the push/pull method and that kept me shooting for several years. As the disability increased I added optics to some of my autos so I could apply some pressure to the sight while racking the slide. That works but I dislike optics on my carry guns so I would just hope that I would never need to clear a jamb where time was an issue. Now my problem is that I do not have enough strength in my forefinger to pull the trigger even on my 1911. So I have a two-handed way of pulling the trigger by inserting my finger up to the main knuckle and hooking it behind my offhand thumb. I can actually shoot quite well this way but is not real fast for backup shots. So by using this method I have started to limp wrist and every 2-3 rounds I get a FTE. So now I feel I have two choices which are to shoot revolvers with exposed hammers so I can thumb the hammer (my thumbs are strong yet) to achieve a light trigger pull or not carry at all. What is also on my mind is "do I have the strength to stop a gun grab"? The last thing I want is to be shot with my own gun. I have some decisions to make but I can not imagine feeling comfortable leaving the house in my vulnerable situation without some kind of equalizer.
Old October 16, 2022, 09:27 PM   #44
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc.38 View Post
I understand the topic of disabilities. I am now in my 70th year and have developed a muscle waisting disease which continues to limit my abilities. As of now I have no grip in my hands and no strength in my fingers to where I cannot even turn a doorknob. I have attached skateboard grip tape to the slides on my autos and use the push/pull method and that kept me shooting for several years. As the disability increased I added optics to some of my autos so I could apply some pressure to the sight while racking the slide. That works but I dislike optics on my carry guns so I would just hope that I would never need to clear a jamb where time was an issue. Now my problem is that I do not have enough strength in my forefinger to pull the trigger even on my 1911. So I have a two-handed way of pulling the trigger by inserting my finger up to the main knuckle and hooking it behind my offhand thumb. I can actually shoot quite well this way but is not real fast for backup shots. So by using this method I have started to limp wrist and every 2-3 rounds I get a FTE. So now I feel I have two choices which are to shoot revolvers with exposed hammers so I can thumb the hammer (my thumbs are strong yet) to achieve a light trigger pull or not carry at all. What is also on my mind is "do I have the strength to stop a gun grab"? The last thing I want is to be shot with my own gun. I have some decisions to make but I can not imagine feeling comfortable leaving the house in my vulnerable situation without some kind of equalizer.
kc.38, thank you for sharing. I am not even sure where I will be, or if I will be, at 70. God's blessings to you for adjusting and trying to work with what you can. It makes me feel like I really should not complain.

These stories do let me know, I need to do the things I would like to while I can.

Again, thank you for sharing. God bless and I will add you to my extremely long prayer list. A lot of folks hurting out there these days.
Old October 18, 2022, 08:25 PM   #45
kenny53

"Before you start messing with changing springs, try a couple of different methods of racking the slide.

As mentioned, cock the hammer first, that alone may be enough.

The other easy thing to try is to not try and pull the slide back.

HOLD the slide, and push the grip forward. That makes a big difference for a lot of people.

Alternately, while it takes a little bit of care, use the edge of a table, (or something similar) to press the pistol against to push the slide back."

What he said.
Old October 25, 2022, 03:28 PM   #46
vito

If you can tolerate the pain of the injection, there are things that can bring relief to arthritis pain in the hands. A number of years ago I received a shot into my thumb joiint, and for the most part that thumb is still pain free. Before the injection I could not rack the slide on my semi autos but after the shot, and continued to this day several years later, I have little trouble with the slide being racked. But I will add that the shot itself was quite painful, but only for about 30 seconds.
Old October 25, 2022, 08:32 PM   #47
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
If you can tolerate the pain of the injection, there are things that can bring relief to arthritis pain in the hands. A number of years ago I received a shot into my thumb joiint, and for the most part that thumb is still pain free. Before the injection I could not rack the slide on my semi autos but after the shot, and continued to this day several years later, I have little trouble with the slide being racked. But I will add that the shot itself was quite painful, but only for about 30 seconds.
Thanks, but I am done with injections. They attempted that to get my back and neck arthritis pain under control. Last set of injections before I stopped was the worst pain I have ever felt. Shortly after, it jumped my blood pressure up so high I nearly had a stroke and ended up in the ER. Started blacking out before the ambulance arrived. I told the pain clinic, no more injections for anything.
Old October 25, 2022, 09:46 PM   #48
Geezerbiker

I wanted to wait until I saw where this discussion was going but now I feel it's OK to bring this up. I use a lot of DMSO on my many arthritic joints. It works, it's over the counter and not too expensive. Do a search on it for more info on how to use it and where to buy it.

I had been getting it at a farm store but lately I've found that I can buy it on line for less money. Don't use it in the pure form as it's too hard on the skin. The gelled form is the best way to go. I've been using it off and on for 40+ years and I think it works wonders.

Tony
Old October 27, 2022, 11:21 AM   #49
cdoc42

Tony, I would just add that Pharmaceutical grade is safer than industrial grade, which may contain impurities that are absorbed through the skin. DMSO is a powerful solvent and will carry anything on your skin into the bloodstream, providing a potential unwanted reaction. For those who have insurance coverage and want to play it safe, you may want to ask your physician about a prescription for Pennsaid. It contains diclofenac, a member of the Ibuprofen ( Advil) and Naproxen (Aleve) family, in DMSO. It is approved for use on the knees, but I have used it on other joints as well.
Old October 27, 2022, 11:11 PM   #50
zeke

In preparation for later years, invested in 9mm gas operated sbr. Very easy to shoot, very mild recoil, cheap (relatively) rounds and accurate enough to enjoy. But can't cc it.

If it gets to that point, will content myself with a 22 semi auto. When younger gravitated towards smaller/powerful, now am getting preparing with larger/less powerful. Physics can work for you.

Really gave up on the hunting dreams, as walking any distance, sitting or cold gets painful.