The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 11, 2021, 10:32 AM   #1
highpower3006

Walther G43

A while back I picked up an ac44 G43 that was an all matching number rifle with a perfect shiny bore. It even had a nice original magazine. The only trouble is that sometime in the past a previous owner had sanded the original stock to death and pretty much turned it into firewood.

I was able to find an aftermarket stock for it, but even though the sellers picture showed a laminated stock, like the originals what I got was one made from one piece of European Birch. I did get a partial refund on the price from the seller and I am not unhappy with what it cost me.

While it will work, I am not all that happy with the look of it and I am looking for a more correct looking laminated stock and handguard. A reproduction stock would be okay, but I am having a dickens of a time finding one for sale.

There is an outfit that has an original, but they basically want a grand for it and if it included the matching handguard for that price, I might even be desperate enough to buy it. Without the matching handguard, it would just look kind of off no matter what I did.

Then there is the guy in Poland that makes the best copy of the original stocks, but his website is doing wonky things right now and I can't seem to get ahold of him via email. In addition I have heard that he is currently a year out for delivery due to being swamped.

So in desperation I am throwing out to the internet to see if there is anyone that knows of a laminated single lug G43 stock and handguard for sale. I am willing to pay a fair price for one, but on the other hand, I am not willing to finance the sellers retirement either.

If anyone has a possible lead on one, please PM me and I will get back to you ASAP.

Here is what I started with. Not shown is the ill fitting rubber recoil pad that was on it when purchased:

Here is it as it looks today. the scope is an original WWII ZF4, but the mount is a reproduction:
Old September 11, 2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Ed4032

Beautiful piece of history. And a great story too.
Old September 11, 2021, 09:04 PM   #3
jonnyc

My G43 is all matching...at least the metal is...and the stock, although original, is sanded and not matched. However the rifle is pretty scarce and really fun to shoot, so I take it for what it is and enjoy the hell out of it. At the end of the day, yours might look better than when you bought it, but it will still not be matching and you will probably never recoup your investment.
Just some things to consider.
Old September 12, 2021, 12:44 PM   #4
highpower3006

If I was concerned about recouping any investment I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I don't buy guns with the intention of selling them for a profit. I buy them for my own enjoyment and while I try to spend as little as I can on any particular piece, in the end profit (or loss) doesn't drive my decisions.

Still, as pictured, I only have about $2500 wrapped up in it, which I don't consider to be all that bad considering what all original ones are going for. At the end of the day I look at is as an opportunity to rescue a somewhat rare gun and have some fun doing it rather than whether I can make money on it down the line.

I am very patient when it comes to these sort of projects and am content to keep looking for the right stock to come along. Even if I was to dump a grand into a genuine WWII stock and handguard, I will still have less than what complete G43/K43 rifles seem to be currently selling for.
Old September 15, 2021, 09:52 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice. I can't see putting a rubber recoil pad on a semi. It would look horrible if one was added too.