The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 26, 2020, 08:04 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

$35/box for Fiocchi 9mm

So over the weekend I went and did some shooting at my range (Shooter's World in Peoria, for any Phoenicians) and ran a few drills with a couple carry guns. As I was leaving I noticed that they had some pretty full shelves behind the gun counter so I asked the guy that brought me back my ID how much for a box of 9, and he shook his head and said, "would you believe $35 a box for Fiocchi? And you're limited to one box per customer per day. AND we're probably raising prices again in a couple weeks. We can't keep it in stock. I've never seen anything like it."

Ouch. I shook my head and said good-bye then took my leave.

On the one hand, they seemed to have a lot of ammo, and doing a brisk business. But wow. They're selling out of $35/box ammo.

This sound familiar to everyone else?
Old August 27, 2020, 12:52 AM   #2
capecuddy

In Vegas, the shelves are largely empty. If they have anything it'll be a little high but not gouge level pricing. I seem to be able to get 9mm range ammo and even self defense ammo. 380 is getting tough to find as is the better .22lr.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old August 27, 2020, 10:00 PM   #3
Hawg

I don't remember seeing any Fiocchi but Magtech and Winchester white box are both 18.99 at my LGS.
Old September 1, 2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Desmosedici

A gun store in a city adjacent to my current one, where I used to frequent, is letting customers purchase one box (per week) of 9mm (50 rounds) for $13.99. I'm not sure what brand it is, i'll have to look when I get home, but it isn't any of the big named brands. Same with .223 for a box of 20.

I don't know if this supply will last very long, I bought some yesterday and they didn't have much left.

In other places around my area, there isn't anything left in the major pistol calibers. Cabela's had a lot of .308 left. Might need to advance my project for a bolt-action rifle in that caliber sooner rather than later.
Old September 1, 2020, 09:39 PM   #5
wbbh

This might be extreme...

CheaperThanDirt (NOT!) 9mm 115 grain PMC Bronze $99.89!!! for a box of 50.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pmc-...569050708.html
Old September 2, 2020, 07:34 AM   #6
PolarFBear

wbbh: S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. How do they stay in business???? And, the price for the TULA!!!! I recall, ages ago, CTD seemed to be a good source of supply. No more.
Old September 2, 2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Warhammer

That's typical business for Cheaper Than Dirt every time there is a panic. Last I checked, they had over 120 official complaints filed with the TX Attorney General's office for price gouging. I washed my hands of CTD years ago. For me, it was more from bad experiences at their retail store than for their price gouging. Being flagged multiple times by mall ninjas who talk down to their customers while telling obvious lies about their "operator" status doesn't make me want to give them my money.
Old September 2, 2020, 06:27 PM   #8
jmr40

Supply and demand. I completely understand charging more. The suppliers and manufacturers are probably charging more too so it isn't just the retailers.

The same 9mm ammo I was paying $8-$10/box for a few months ago is now $25-$30 locally. That is capitalism, at least it is slowing down the hoarders. Charging $100/box is too much IMO. But at the same time we're not talking about gas or food that people have to buy in order to survive. There are laws in most places regulating how much stores can charge for essentials.

Winston Churchill
Old September 3, 2020, 12:33 AM   #9
TruthTellers

I bought 10mm for $21 a box a week ago.

All those 9mm fanboys who are only fanboys because of the low price may finally get it that the other handgun calibers exist for a reason: either they're smaller calibers that have less recoil and fit in smaller pistols or have more power and are in larger pistols.

It's not a crime to own a semi auto pistol in something other than .22, 9mm, and .45.
Old September 3, 2020, 01:34 PM   #10
cslinger

Quote:
It's not a crime to own a semi auto pistol in something other than .22, 9mm, and .45.
THE HELL YOU SAY!!!
Old September 3, 2020, 04:43 PM   #11
dyl

Quote:
CheaperThanDirt (NOT!) 9mm 115 grain PMC Bronze $99.89!!! for a box of 50.
That's because it's worth it's weight in gold. It is now, anyways.
Old September 3, 2020, 07:57 PM   #12
TXAZ

Wow, that makes Hornady 750 gr AMax a bargain at $6 / round.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 3, 2020, 10:33 PM   #13
wbbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFBear View Post
wbbh: S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. How do they stay in business???? And, the price for the TULA!!!! I recall, ages ago, CTD seemed to be a good source of supply. No more.
I have no idea, they have been on my,"No" list for a very long time. I must credit 22plinkster for posting the link.
Old September 3, 2020, 10:56 PM   #14
kenny53

Ammo is very hard to find. It doesn't matter what you are looking for, unless it is shotgun ammo. Prices on the second hand market are very high. I guess some good old boys trying to earn a little extra money. I thought about selling a little bit of ammo but figured I can't replace it. When this is over I suggest we buy it cheap and stack it deep. This will happen again.
Old September 4, 2020, 12:02 AM   #15
5whiskey

Thing is this is only the 3rd or 4th run on guns and ammo in a smidge over 10 years. Happens often enough that anyone who has been into shooting sports more than 2 or 3 years should already know the drill.

You think it’s bad now? If Biden wins the election you can stand by for some real tough times!

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 4, 2020, 01:19 AM   #16
stagpanther

Just bought a case of 22 mag, 625 rounds, for around $125. Fortunately I have a large supply of components and ready-to-go in 9mm, I bought several cases of the CCI bulk cartridges when they were super-cheap. Where I really goofed was large rifle primers, I underestimated how fast I use them.
Old September 6, 2020, 07:27 PM   #17
44caliberkid

I was at one gun store yesterday that had a good selection of 44 Magnum available and a few boxes of 50 AE. That was it. I guess if you're picking a carry piece based on ammo availability in a crisis, better have a Desert Eagle. Or a nice 4 inch Model 29.
Old September 16, 2020, 10:40 AM   #18
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post

It's not a crime, but it is dumb:

"45 ACP, because shooting twice is just silly"
Manny Mansfield

<said in jest>
Old September 16, 2020, 10:56 AM   #19
dogtown tom

Quote:
Warhammer........Last I checked, they had over 120 official complaints filed with the TX Attorney General's office for price gouging...
At least 120 people don't know what "price gouging" really is.
Thats why the TX AG won't do anything.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 16, 2020, 11:23 AM   #20
cslinger

Quote:
45 ACP, because shooting twice is just silly"
Manny Mansfield
Sorry for the thread drift but my favorite was always ......

“9mm is just like .45.......you know set to stun.”
Old September 16, 2020, 12:41 PM   #21
gnystrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
So over the weekend I went and did some shooting at my range (Shooter's World in Peoria, for any Phoenicians) and ran a few drills with a couple carry guns. As I was leaving I noticed that they had some pretty full shelves behind the gun counter so I asked the guy that brought me back my ID how much for a box of 9, and he shook his head and said, "would you believe $35 a box for Fiocchi? And you're limited to one box per customer per day. AND we're probably raising prices again in a couple weeks. We can't keep it in stock. I've never seen anything like it."

Ouch. I shook my head and said good-bye then took my leave.

On the one hand, they seemed to have a lot of ammo, and doing a brisk business. But wow. They're selling out of $35/box ammo.

This sound familiar to everyone else?
I posted eariler in another thread that yesterday I bought brass Fiocchi 115gr 9mm off the shelf at my local Scheels for $11.99/bx.
Everybody seems to have a different strategy.
Old September 16, 2020, 02:19 PM   #22
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
I posted eariler in another thread that yesterday I bought brass Fiocchi 115gr 9mm off the shelf at my local Scheels for $11.99/bx.
Everybody seems to have a different strategy.
Began this thread around a month ago, so I expect things are still fluid.

Also, I never buy ammo by the box anymore. Haven't in several years. I honestly don't know why anyone would, unless your average range-visit frequency is about once or twice a year, and you only shoot about a box per visit. Otherwise, if you shoot with any kind of monthly frequency @100+ rds per visit you're just better off to buy in bulk. just my opinion, of course. But since adopting the policy, I have enough ammo to shoot every caliber I own at my normal rate for more than three years, and up to 8-9 years if I reload everything I've got. Even longer if I decide to ration my range visits. So for me this shortage/price hike stuff is simply interesting and/or amusing.
Old September 16, 2020, 10:38 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It's not a crime, but it is dumb:
I must be in your "dumb" class as I have some in .44 and .357 calibers

They do things the .22, 9mm, and .45acp don't...
Old September 17, 2020, 08:02 AM   #24
eastbank

i just moved to shooting my ruger mk series .22 auto,s as i have thousands and thousands of rounds.
Old September 18, 2020, 10:14 AM   #25
ghbucky

Quote:
I must be in your "dumb" class...
Good to know I'm 'dumb'. Just don't talk to my wife to get confirmation, please!