The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Contrast Man

CZ-75B vs. CZ-75BD

Hello all,

Super simple question that I'm really looking for a bit of personal experience on. I'm looking to buy a CZ-75B but lo-and behold, it seems like they've completely disappeared from the planet. No one has them online and the 2 LGS I've been to don't have any in stock and couldn't tell me when they might have any in. The BD's seem to be abundant and going for the same price so I figure, why not just go with a BD. My question is that is there any difference in the two models apart from the manual safety (B) and decocker (BD)?

Thanks!
Old February 17, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
LockedBreech

As far as I know, that's the only difference. The big difference being that I'm not sure if you can carry the BD cocked and locked. I actually prefer the BD because I'm not a fan of cocked-and-locked carry (not going to say it's less safe or any sweeping generalizations, I'm just not personally comfortable with it).
Old February 17, 2012, 12:24 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

That's pretty much it,,,

I have the plain 75B,,,
My buddy has the 75-BD,,,
There are no other differences.

To tell the truth if I had it to do over again I would have purchased the 75-BD.

Funny you're having trouble finding one though,,,
A friend of mine just ordered and received a 75-B through the Evil Pawn Shop.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 17, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
vladan

Yes, that is the only difference ... I personally don't trust decockers so guns with this feature do not have any extra appeal to me. So it boils down to personal preferences.
The CZ with manual safety at least gives me a choice to carry in condition one, decocker variant does not.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:47 PM   #5
UZO

Both model 75Bs are the exact same except for the decocker (BD)...
And it's all a matter of your preference. I like decockers and try to get all my CZs with one.
CZCustom has both in stock for about $460 shipped...

Last edited by UZO; February 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
chris in va

I've had my BD since 2004. For years I was a diehard proponent of decockers.

I finally got my dream gun last year, a 97b...which has a safety. I soon realized that a SA first shot improved my competition scores, and I started training for C&L carry.

I now realize the B model is more versatile. Carry it hammer down or in SA mode. All you have to do is carefully lower the hammer.

BTW the BD model has more complicated internals, so a trigger job is more involved.

Some day I'd love to have a polished stainless 75b, the ONLY gun i would ever sell my BD for.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:19 PM   #7
RedBowTies88

The BD's saftey/decocker lever is different and I don't likt its location in comparison to the B from what i've seen in pics..

also looking for a 75b... its been a challange
Old February 17, 2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Contrast Man

Thanks for the clarifications everyone. I've always been a manual safety kind of guy but if there's no other differences, I might just go with the BD. It would be a range toy, nothing more so either the safety or decocker don't matter a whole lot, just more used to the 1911 style of arms.

UZO, Thanks for the info about czcustom.com, although it appears they don't have any 75B's in stock either! This is getting slightly ridiculous.

Called the LGS to see what they could do about ordering one for me. They said it might take a few weeks, but they could get one for me. Catch is, their price is $599. It's a great gun, but I can't rationalize paying that much for it.
Old February 17, 2012, 02:20 PM   #9
RedBowTies88

that is $100 over MSRP! for the black 9mm
Old February 17, 2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Contrast Man

Yes, for the regular black 75B. I was a bit speechless when I heard that. Then there's tax (which is roughly 10% in Chicagoland) and you're close to the $650 mark for something that could be had for $200 less!
Old February 17, 2012, 04:20 PM   #11
UZO

The $599 price for a 75B would be too steep for me...
Be patient, you'll be able to get one for under $500.
Ask CZCustom when they expect some more in...
Also can check GUNBROKER, they usually have some NIB for sale...
But remember, this is still a great gun at a very attractive price, so they're in demand.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Contrast Man

Gunbroker's a good idea, I'll have to check it out. I sent CZcustom an email requesting when they'll get more in, just a waiting game. I took the time to decide on the 75, might as well take the time in getting the exact model I want.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Yes, that is the only difference ... I personally don't trust decockers so guns with this feature do not have any extra appeal to me. So it boils down to personal preferences.
I don't like decockers either, but it's not a safety concern -- as any gun equipped with a firing pin block (the CZ is) AND a decocker should be safe, even if the decocker somehow fails.

(The firing pin safety models need to have the trigger pulled before the firing pin or striker can be released.)
Old February 18, 2012, 04:00 PM   #14
LarryFlew

CZ forum http://www.czfirearms.us/ usually has one or two for sale as does Gunbroker.

Not a decocker fan so I have several CZ's with safeties and sold 3 with decockers.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:09 PM   #15
C0untZer0

I personally like the CZ 75B-SA

I got a chance to dry-fire one at LGS and I think the trigger is pretty nice.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:57 PM   #16
NJgunowner

My lgs sells the cz's for $625

I'd just order off buds for $100 less before I did that.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:26 AM   #17
drcook

There is a used 75B for a little over 4 in a gunstore in Ohio called Fin,Feather and Fur Outfitters. I didn't handle it, but it did not look beat up. They are a reasonably reputable place to do business with. So if you are really interested, do a Google search, find them and give them a call. They are in Ashland Ohio
Old February 19, 2012, 12:01 PM   #18
DocDizz

I own the B and have no regrets or complaints except that if you want DA first shot then you have to manually lower the hammer with a round chambered. But my wife loves the feel of it, I love the feel of it and it's an outstanding value. I don't think you can go wrong either way