The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2019, 04:43 PM   #1
buzz58

Reloads for a M&P 9 Shield

I’m just getting back into reloading after a 20 year break. The only thing I’ve reloaded is 38/357 and 25-06.
I’ve just purchased 9mm Hornady 3 die set, titanium nitride, with taper crimp.
I also purchased CFE pistol powder. And Hornady 115gr fmj bullets. I have data for loading that combination.
This will be my first time with pistol reloads. Wish me luck.
These will be fired in a m&p 9 shield.
I was looking for advice from others loading for there 9 shield.
What are your favorite loads for target and defense?
Are there cast bullets you would recommend?
Different powders?
OAL?
Thanks, Buzz
Old October 23, 2019, 05:46 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a copy of your pistol, but for Cartridge Overall Length I would suggest the one in the Hornady manual, as they will likely know their own bullet best, and they say to use 1.100" with it. Different RN nose shapes exist from spherical to elliptical so different COL's are appropriate for them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 23, 2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Welcome to TFL. And no, not everybody here is named Nick. Just a coincidence lol.

I don't have a Shield; but I have loaded my share of Hornady's 115 FMJ's. It's a good bullet. And like Unclenick said, I just used the book OAL, rather than bothering to do a plunk test. At the book OAL, they fit into all my magazines, and cycle through both my 9mm guns (Beretta 92fs; Kahr CW9 carry gun) just fine.

With the light 115gn bullet, I recommend fairly fast propellants to make the "best" (i.e.: consistent, crisp cycling, and clean burning) range shooters. I've had good luck with Bullseye, W231/HP-38 (the same propellant with a different label), AA#2, and TiteGroup. I tend to use the latter two for 9mm; and the former two for 38 revolver. I give the nod to AA#2 as it has a good fill rate and delivers particularly consistent performance. TiteGroup is really energetic and spunky; some discourage novice loaders from using it because it can be touchy and unforgiving.

For defense ammo, I move up to a 124 JHP bullet. Then, I move to intermediate burn rate propellants; such as AA#5 and Power Pistol. I have BE-86 and would think it'd be a good choice too, but I haven't gotten to do a work up on it yet. Power Pistol is the velocity winner here. Power Pistol is amazing stuff.
Old October 23, 2019, 08:17 PM   #4
kmw1954

buzz58, another Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the reloading bench.

In the 9mm with 115gr and 124gr plated bullets I am using AA#2, AA#5, HP-38 and Ramshot Silhouette which is also working well in my 380 and 45acp.

Also take a look at Rocky Mountain Reloading, they are making jacketed bullets at the same price as most plated and they have a very high quality product. They also run good sales on pulled bullets and seconds.
Old October 24, 2019, 05:40 PM   #5
LE-28

I do have a Shield and have been loading for it for years.
With the full metal jacket bullets I can go as long as 1.135 in mine with round nose and 1.125 with XTPs.
I use 4.9 gr of Win 231 with the 115gr XTP bullets for my Shield. It's the most accurate load for me to shoot because the recoil is more than acceptable and the accuracy in my Shield is the best as far as shooting to point of aim with the sites, of any load I have come up with.

With practice loads of round nose bullets I use 4.1 gr of Titegroup powder and an OAL of 1.135 but they are for 214 gr round nose.

They also shoot very well. All guns like different loads but these two loads are proven to be accurate in a lot of 9mms.
Make sure you plunk test the OALs in your particular Shield barrel so you know the OAL will work for you. You just can't assume it will because it fits mine.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old October 24, 2019, 09:03 PM   #6
littlebikerider

My Shield really likes 124gn powder coated LRN bullet, 3.5gr [email protected] OAL. Feeds reliably and shoots accurately.
Old October 28, 2019, 10:09 AM   #7
std7mag

Buzz,
Welcome to the forum!
As Nick_C_S mentioned, i'd also recommend a faster burning powder.
Most reloading data for the 9mm is with a 4" barrel.
And any length change shows more velocity drop/gain than a rifle would.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 28, 2019, 10:33 AM   #8
mikld

Welcome...
My normal advice is to find the load in your manual, use the starting load data and start from there, working up as necessary. If you are using Hornady bullets, the Hornady manual (data) has the best info for you, like OAL for your particular bullet. Load a couple dummies, check with a plunk test, then go with the starting loads. I've been reloading for many years and this is the way I start reloading a new to me cartridge; no guessing, no extrapolation, jes published data...

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...
Old October 29, 2019, 01:36 AM   #9
pctechdude

My go to 9mm load is 115gr fmj and 4.5gr bullseye. Loaded to 1.140". I've used various bullet manufacturers for this load and has always been consistent, and produced great groups.

BE-86 at the recommended charge weights on alliants website, is also a good load. Can become more snappy at the other end. In my testing with be-86 it shines more with 124gr bullets, and has better SD and lower extreme spreads in the upper limits.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old October 30, 2019, 11:25 AM   #10
buzz58

Thanks for the replies to my thread.
I still haven’t setup my press on my bench yet. But I will be following and checking this thread for more replies. Also will be reviewing the other threads in this reloading forum.
Thanks again.
Old October 30, 2019, 12:07 PM   #11
Crunchy Frog

I use a lot of lead bullets in pistol ammo. My bullet source, “Bullets by Scarlett”, carried a 124 grain round nosed bullet that I have used with good results. I don’t have the OAL handy; I think I looked in a manual for guidance. The Lyman manual has a good bit of lead bullet data. Scarlett is now partnered with Acme Bullets and sells their polycoated lead bullets; I’ve tried those in .45, which are good, but not 9mm. I’ve also stocked up on Berry’s plated bullets in various weights when I found them on sale. My Shield has been reliable with a variety of loads.

I typically use fast powders in 9mm including Clays, Red Dot and Clean Shot. Titegroup is a popular pistol powder but I find it to be a bit “snappy”. I notice that more in a revolver than in an autopistol.
Old November 2, 2019, 06:30 PM   #12
unclejack37

I use HODGDON CFE for reloading all of my pistol loads. For the 9 mm I use Rainier 9mm 124 gr JRN Bullets, C.O.L. 1.150", starting loads 4.9 Grs. Vel ft/sec 1006 Pressure 27,300psi, Maximum loads 5.5 Grs Vel ft/sec 1120 Pressure 33,800psi
I use the starting load 4.9 grs. almost always for practice in my Beretta Nano and my Rock Island 1911 9mm. Never had a problem ever in either gun and a friend uses my loads in his Ruger with no problems. I've also loaded CFE for my 38s, 357s, and 44 mag.
Old November 2, 2019, 07:46 PM   #13
E.J.W.

Berry's 124 gr HPFP over 4.5 gr Hodgdon Universal at 1.11" gives me 1045 fps. This load works well in my Shield. If I do my part, this load is accurate out to 50 feet when at the range and practicing. I only use factory ammo for carry purposes - heard too many horror stories about what can happen if you carry with handloads.
Good luck.
E.
Old November 3, 2019, 08:28 PM   #14
buzz58

Looked online and people are saying Rainier bullets are now out of business.
Old November 3, 2019, 08:37 PM   #15
pete2

I'd suggest going by the book. Do the plunk test to make sure they'll chamber. I loaded for 4 different 9mm pistols, I do not have a Shield. Keep everything as close to factory as you can and they'll shoot.
Old March 21, 2020, 05:49 PM   #16
buzz58

I finally loaded up some 9mm. I shot 5 rounds each of...
115 FMJ
Bullseye
3.9 gn
CFE Pistol
4.7 gn
All rounds cycled great.
Old March 22, 2020, 09:42 PM   #17
Marco Califo

Rainer is gone. Berrys are just as good.
https://www.berrysmfg.com
Old March 23, 2020, 10:20 AM   #18
buzz58

It figures that when I start reloading, components are now in high demand.
Old March 23, 2020, 10:21 PM   #19
kmw1954

Another very good vendor. And if also a forum member of the sister site The High Road there is a 5% discount available.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/
Old March 24, 2020, 02:36 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Glad your ammo test worked out well. Curious what's your next step.

In 9mm, I shy away from cast bullets. Pressures are a bit high (compared to 38 Special, for instance), and I suspect a lot of 9mm barrels are not cut to close tolerances. The result is a strong tendency to lead. At least, that has been my experience; which admittedly, is limited. I don't load a lot of 9mm. I don't shoot it recreationally, and I have a lot of factory. Point is, I haven't put in a lot of time going down the lead bullet road.

If you are looking to make a lot of good range ammo, I recommend a plated bullet. The Hornady 115 FMJ you mentioned is a good bullet no doubt (I have some), but can be a bit pricey for the application. My bullet brand of choice is X-treme; although I tend toward 124's (just personal preference).
Old March 24, 2020, 06:24 PM   #21
buzz58

I’ve been loading Missouri bullet in my 357’s. I just place a order on Friday for 2000 more. So I added a couple of sample packs in 9mm 125 swc and 125 cone both in hi-Tex. Figured I’d give them a try.
But have been looking at the plated bullet Berry’s and extreme. looks to be a lot of sites saying Out Of Stock, with reloading supplies.
Old March 30, 2020, 12:56 PM   #22
buzz58

I did find 135 gn RNP at Berry’s in stock. I order them.

I’ve found load information for my CFE powder. But haven’t found any data for a recipe that uses Bullseye. Any help with that would be great.

The reason I want to use Bullseye is that I have many pounds of it that is old, and need to use it up.
Thanks
Old March 30, 2020, 03:23 PM   #23
Marco Califo

Download Alliant's Reloaders Guide. It is free. They make Bullseye.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

Last edited by Marco Califo; March 30, 2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old March 30, 2020, 04:47 PM   #24
buzz58

Thanks Marco for your reply. I did check the Alliant web site. The highest grain bullet they list for bullseye is a 124 gn GDHP with 4.4 gn.
Most of the heavier bullets they list Power Sport, for a powder.
Old March 30, 2020, 07:52 PM   #25
Marco Califo

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...liant_1995.pdf
The 1995 guide has Bullseye loads for 147 XTP, but not 135. That is an odd weight for 9mm.
Sport Pistol is a relatively new powder and they push it like they have 100 rail cars worth to get rid of. BE 86 and Power Pistol are better powders.