The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 9, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
rmears

Thompson center rust issues

Is anyone out there having the same or similar issues with rust in the receiver of the Thompson Center Venture? I had recently purchased one and took it to the range to sight in the scope (very accurate rifle). After I got it home I put some patches through it to clean out the residue of the 30 rounds I put through it. Thats when I noticed discoloration in the receiver. the lighting in the room was bad so I put a flashlight on it and the attached photo is what I saw. I contacted T/C and went through a bunch of hoops to get it sent back to them (not real happy with their customer service dept.). Finally I got a call that they would honor the warranty and replace the receiver (Awesome). A week later I get the rifle with the new receiver, upon immediate inspection- same issue!? Really? Is this kind of surface rust supposed to be normal in all their brand new rifles or something? They replaced one rusty receiver with another one?
Anyone have any ideas on how to handle/deal with this issue? I'm not rich and had to save for awhile before purchasing this rifle which I did based on a ton of reviews I read all over the internet. All of them said it was a quality firearm and suggested it was underpriced. I checked them out at shops and compared the feel and weight against several other rifles and this really seemed to shoulder the best and I like the lightweight aspect. But Im regretting this purchase at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1068-1.jpg (243.2 KB, 86 views)
Old May 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I suspect it has to do with the neutralizing after the acid blue bath or the oiling after it is removed from the neutralizing bath.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3
bailey bud

The Venture comes with a strong warranty --- not sure about customer service - but you might give them a call.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:28 AM   #4
UtahGrouse

I was able to get a full refund (was not able to get a replacement rifle) after returning my Venture to the factory 3 times, and not having all the issues resolved.

Hope you are able to get your issue resolved, but I would just keep the rifle and keep it well oiled if the only problem is a little rust on the receiver. Otherwise, you will probably just end up sending it back and forth with out any resolution of the problem.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Don P

Clean it remove the rust and give it a good coating of Eezox. My Taurus 1911 in blue had rust on the grip safety thumb safety and frame after a sweaty day at my last match and letting the gun sit overnight before cleaning. I removed the rust , quick cold blue and then a coating of Eezox. So far so good.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:16 PM   #6
rmears

thanks for the reply's

Thank everyone for the responses. It just blows my mind that they sent it back with a new receiver, that has the exact same problem in the exact same place. I just don't see the point of trying to send it back again for all the hassle it's been to have the same end result. It looks like I will take the suggestion to remove the rust and try a good cold blueing product. Any suggestions? Never took on a project like that. Really didn't plan on having to. Still like the rifle, just seriously bummed about the situation.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
hooligan1

G-96 is also a great rust killer,,, I used it heavily with 0000 steelwool, on a rusty barrel or two and they look new now. I used the G-96, sprayed the barreled action until dripping, let it set for three days and then sprayed again until dripping, and went after it with 0000 steel wool (light pressure is all that is needed), and this barrel is clean! I buy it locally at my gunshop, for about 10.50 or so. I use it for everything including tools of all kinds and sharpening knives.