The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 20, 2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Model12Win

Why No Commercial Dragunovs?

Why aren't commercial semi-auto Dragunovs a thing? Yes yes, I know there are SOME original SVDs and some Norinco made Dragunovs in country, but they're hen's teeth and priced accordingly. The Romanian FPK/PSL is more common but the imports have stopped and they're expensive now as well, and they are not a real Dragunov design.

You'd think with all the numerous video games, movie, and media appearances, not to mention the abundance of 7.62x54mmR ammo in this country, that there would be a market for a semi-auto version of the Dragunov.

Thoughts?
Old April 20, 2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Wyosmith

I don't know, but Kalashnikov Concern is missing the boat with that one. If they were made and if they are legal to import into the USA they would be super popular. They should be made in the original 7.62X54R and perhaps also in 308.

Many years ago when I was a Marine, I had the opportunity to fire one that was captured in Vietnam and brought back. I have to say, I was quite impressed with it. It was far more accurate than we'd been told, and reliability was 100%.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Gunplummer

Probably can't produce them cheap enough. Take note you do not hear much about surplus Russian bolt guns lately either. Cheap ammo is drying up.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:07 PM   #4
zukiphile

There was a time when I thought a heavy barreled Dragunov in 5.56 or 7.62 would be a neat thing to own.

The AR15 and several 7.62 AR patterns in the US are modular, have an enormous parts support, and have a picatinny rail for optics. I have some affection for the simplicity and durability of the soviet patterns, but don't see them and the options they present as economically competitive.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Mobuck

A heavy, clumsy, ugly rifle shooting an archaic cartridge from a now defunct era--yeah I can see folks standing in line to spend big bucks for that one.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:43 PM   #6
dakota.potts

I think Kalashnikov USA is planning to do something similar - or at least a VEPR type AK rifle in full powered rifle cartridges IIRC
Old April 21, 2017, 12:06 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...I can see folks standing in line..." They'd likely sell like hot cakes on the novelty alone. Try and find an SVT. snicker.
I seem to recall there being some kind of import ban. Some agreement between governments. I think.
"...a semi-auto version of the Dragunov..." It is already semi-auto only. No select fire sniper rifles. Quite a few of 'em on Gunbroker. Chinese, Romanian and other makes. Start at $1400ish. And no bids.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:50 PM   #8
kozak6

Bill Clinton signed a voluntary restraint agreement with Russia to block their import.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:27 AM   #9
highpower3006

Quote:
A heavy, clumsy, ugly rifle shooting an archaic cartridge from a now defunct era--yeah I can see folks standing in line to spend big bucks for that one.
Well, not everyone gets a woody over an AR, or any of the latest rifles that look like an ugg boot. Not everyone wants to sit on their butt at a bench trying to shoot small groups at paper targets.

Some people like the unusual, different and unique. They don't like to show up at a range with stuff that looks the same everyone else's stuff.

When I go to the range, I like to take different rifles so I can have the experience of shooting different guns. Things like my SVT40 or my PSL do far more for me than just shooting some boring AR.

Why, I have even been known to bring 100+ year old rifles that shoot black powder just for the enjoyment of it.

There are currently three different SVD rifles for sale at the May Rock Island Auction. Just watch how many are going to line up and pay big bucks for the chance to own one. The Soviet Dragunov will probably sell for something north of 12K and the Chinese will likely be over 5K.
Old April 23, 2017, 09:42 AM   #10
MagnumWill

Quote:

OK, no lever actions for Mobuck apparently.

If SVD clones were available, I'd buy one. 7.62x54r's a great round, "obsolete" or not.
Old April 23, 2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Gunplummer

You are confusing "Really a great gun" with "Gotta have what no one else does" prices. I remember a FAMAS on Gunbroker that was over $20,000 and climbing. What is so great about them? Import restricted. As for bringing back obsolete lever guns, it has been tried. Total failure. It just costs too much.
Old April 23, 2017, 04:28 PM   #12
MosinNOUGAT

Actually, there is here:

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/milita...iper-rifle-m91

I don't know if it's any good as I don't have one, but it's worth a shot (pun not intended)
Old April 23, 2017, 05:15 PM   #13
SurplusShooter

There are commercial dragunovs, they are called tigrs. They were imported in lowish numbers in the 80's and early 90's but that all stopped with voluntary arms restrictions between the U.S. and Russia. They are sold commercially in other countries in 7.62x54mm, .308, amd I belive .243 also. They even sell straight pull non-semiautomatic ones in the U.K.
Old April 24, 2017, 01:28 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Try and find an SVT. snicker.

Snicker....
Old April 25, 2017, 10:14 AM   #15
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Actually, there is here:

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/milita...iper-rifle-m91

I don't know if it's any good as I don't have one, but it's worth a shot (pun not intended)
Firstly that is Zastava which is not available in the US unless imported by, for instance, Century. Secondly that is in their military offerings. Likely not able to get that as a civy, let alone in the US.

I would like an SVD, but the prices are monstrous. The only reason to get one would be the fact I have a Mosin and have a fair amount of 7.62x54R that I would love to be able to put to use in an accurate rifle. Which, TBH, my Mosin actually is pretty accurate, but I see no point in attempting to make it any more accurate because it's a 1934 weapon that was built for a by-gone era. It's a collectors piece that's not worth collecting and so it's just fun. Not worth the effort to try to make it a tack driver when I can buy a new rifle for slightly more than a Mosin that is 10x more accurate out of the box.

Woops, rambled there a little, but yea. If a distributor/gun maker decided to make an "inexpensive" SVD , be it a clone/remake/to original spec/etc., I would certainly be interested. But I just don't think it's gonna happen.
Old April 26, 2017, 10:59 AM   #16
doofus47

No longer interested in the sniper rifles, but their SBRs look pretty cool.
Old April 27, 2017, 09:12 PM   #17
kozak6

Century imported PAP M77's. It's like an M91, but in .308. They didn't sell well, even at closeout prices.

Now that 7.62x54r has dried up, I don't see an M91 selling any better.
Old April 28, 2017, 09:24 AM   #18
PlatinumCore16

Since when did 7.62x54R dry up? I can still order large spam cans of 440+ for under a $100.
Old April 28, 2017, 12:17 PM   #19
Model12Win

Quote:
I can still order large spam cans of 440+ for under a $100.
Prove it.
Old April 28, 2017, 12:27 PM   #20
PlatinumCore16

Alright you got me, not quite under $100, but pretty close:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplu...tage-russian-r

Divided out 440 rounds = $109.