The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 20, 2017, 11:07 AM   #1
stonewall50

Favorite Non waistband Carry? Most practical?

I'm starting to come around to boot carry. Mainly because I sit a lot and live in Florida. I can't conceal well in tucked in shirts, but this seems to be an excellent option. Especially because I tend to wear dress boots or other shoes that make easier to conceal. So in wondering how others view that and other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 20, 2017, 11:24 AM   #2
themalicious0ne

Pocket carry. Here in Wisconsin, it's very easy to do in winter. Put it in your jacket in a pocket holster, and I can unholster it and fire it all still in the pocket if need be. (Obviously this would be with a revolver and in winter seasons) The option is still viable in summer with cargos and depending on gun size, anything else. Not as fast as iwb or owb but much better than in your car/backpack and I still think it's more efficient than boot carry.

However, carrying on you, PERIOD, is better than not carrying.
Old January 20, 2017, 11:37 AM   #3
K_Mac

Pocket carry is a far better option than ankle carry for me. I can draw from a pocket far faster. I prefer AIWB and use that method most of the time. Some like a shoulder rig, but the ones I've tried just feel awkward to me. Good luck.
Old January 20, 2017, 12:30 PM   #4
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
Pocket carry is a far better option than ankle carry for me. I can draw from a pocket far faster. I prefer AIWB and use that method most of the time. Some like a shoulder rig, but the ones I've tried just feel awkward to me. Good luck.

I like the idea of pocket carry, but I keep so much crap In my pockets and I usually can't pull while sitting down. Ankle carry is usually faster for me unless I'm standing. I also didn't like pocket carry because of the lint. I felt like it got my gun too dirty lol.

Old January 20, 2017, 01:17 PM   #5
stephen426

I am very used to pocket carrying my Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Super Fly, but I have switched to carrying a Glock 43 inside the waistband with the Techna Clip.

I use the Safe-T Plug with it. I actually find it easier than carrying the PM9 in my pocket since it is pretty bulky and requires looser fitting pleated pants.
Old January 20, 2017, 02:03 PM   #6
ShootistPRS

Wherever you carry your self defense weapon practice getting to it. A waistband carry is hard to get to when you are seated or even when you crouch behind cover. A boot holster is a backup weapon. there is no way to get to that gun without alerting everyone in the area that you are doing something strange. Depending on the gun and holster it can be very difficult to conceal. I finally got to the point that the only two carry positions that I can use quickly and easily conceal are a shoulder holster and a cross draw otw holster. I should say that my everyday carry weapon is a 6 inch 357 or a Colt 45. If I had a semi-auto that I felt I could trust my life to I could easily carry it in either position. Neither of these holsters are allowed in the personal training camps because the gun, when drawn, is facing more than 45 degrees to the side. The shoulder rig has the gun pointing to the rear as it is drawn. So in professional training classes I use a pancake holster that rides high on my right side.
Old January 20, 2017, 03:03 PM   #7
Nathan

Shoulder holster under a light shirt!
Old January 20, 2017, 03:41 PM   #8
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Shoulder holster under a light shirt!

My issue with the shoulder rig is that unless I have a pocket carry sized gun...it is clearly visible under a shirt.

I see lots like pocket carry, but I'm just not a fan. I did it for a while and the only one I really like is iwb at 4:00 or maybe Mexican carry depending on what i am doing. Both are fast for me.

Old January 20, 2017, 03:43 PM   #9
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootistPRS View Post
Wherever you carry your self defense weapon practice getting to it. A waistband carry is hard to get to when you are seated or even when you crouch behind cover. A boot holster is a backup weapon. there is no way to get to that gun without alerting everyone in the area that you are doing something strange. Depending on the gun and holster it can be very difficult to conceal. I finally got to the point that the only two carry positions that I can use quickly and easily conceal are a shoulder holster and a cross draw otw holster. I should say that my everyday carry weapon is a 6 inch 357 or a Colt 45. If I had a semi-auto that I felt I could trust my life to I could easily carry it in either position. Neither of these holsters are allowed in the personal training camps because the gun, when drawn, is facing more than 45 degrees to the side. The shoulder rig has the gun pointing to the rear as it is drawn. So in professional training classes I use a pancake holster that rides high on my right side.

I do practice from the waistband in my truck. I can't get it out lightning fast, but it is fast enough if some road raging jerk was has me trapped in traffic. As for cover...depends on the cover. I do recommend a hard plastic galco because of it retaining shape when crouched or moving. Makes it easier to pull.

Old January 20, 2017, 03:56 PM   #10
ShootistPRS

Quote:
stonewall50 said;
My issue with the shoulder rig is that unless I have a pocket carry sized gun...it is clearly visible under a shirt.

I see lots like pocket carry, but I'm just not a fan. I did it for a while and the only one I really like is iwb at 4:00 or maybe Mexican carry depending on what i am doing. Both are fast for me.
I carry a 6 inch 357 magnum under my shirt and it doesn't print or become visible until I pull it out. It does take practice to be good with it but I don't even notice it is on.
Old January 20, 2017, 04:42 PM   #11
DMK

My EDC is a Shield IWB at about 4:30. I use a hybrid holster (Kydex with leather backing) that I added Ulticlips that clip to my pants behind my belt. I can conceal this very well with Docker type pants and a tucked in golf shirt or button down collered shirt.

My other mode of carry is a J-frame in a pocket holster, but that's not my preferred method.
Old January 20, 2017, 04:55 PM   #12
Doyle

Definitely pocket. When I lived in FL, I wore cargo shorts every day except in the extreme dead of winter (both weeks). Nice, big pockets are perfect for carrying a hand-sized pistol.
Old January 20, 2017, 05:46 PM   #13
AK103K

Smart Carry.

The most versatile holsters I own. Dont need pockets. Wear with shorts. Dont even need a shirt!

All that, and you can carry guns that are a lot more realistic than a pocket gun.
Old January 20, 2017, 06:49 PM   #14
Caboclo

Kangaroo Carry shoulder holster. I can carry a 5" double stack 45, with minimal printing. It's what I've used for the past several years. Much more comfortable and better concealing than anything on the waist.
Old January 21, 2017, 01:09 AM   #15
Model12Win

I IWB but if not I stuff it in my pocket. I don't usually because I like to fill the pocket with other items than the gun.
Old January 22, 2017, 02:34 AM   #16
Bamashooter

I love carrying my G43 in a DeSantis Nemisis holster in my pocket. I sometimes carry a bigger gun like Sig226 or Glock 21 in my NRA Messenger bag when I carry it. When I do IWB I use a leather Bianchi holster.
Old January 22, 2017, 03:33 AM   #17
O4L

I carry a Shield in a DeSantis pocket holster.
Old January 22, 2017, 08:41 AM   #18
SansSouci

Strong side belt.
Old January 22, 2017, 08:53 AM   #19
turkeestalker

I'll second the Kangaroo Carry holster.
Use the Air Marshall and you could effectively conceal a Desert Eagle with extra magazines under a looser fitting button up collared shirt with little concern for printing.
Drawing is not the fastest from it and you might loose a few buttons, but it is much faster with far less issue than any ankle holster for a primary carry.
In Missouri I wouldn't consider a blued firearm due to sweat using one, only stainless as I don't do polymer.
I would imagine that would be more so in Florida.
Old January 23, 2017, 12:13 PM   #20
SansSouci

Good Morning, stonewall50,

Keep in mind that what you put in your boot you gotta get outta your boot. If you gotta get it out faster than you put in it, you might be holding a bottle of tequila or some ugly chick's phone number that you won't remember how it got in there.

Take this for what it's worth. I know the teller at my back said I couldn't exchange it for a plugged nickel: if you're gonna need a gun, chances are you're gonna need it right now or a whole lot sooner.

When I do carry, it's on my strong side waist. That's because it's where I carried for a long time. It's a muscle memory thing.

I always carry, when I do carry, it's in the exact same place. I wouldn't want to have to remember where the hell I put my gun and how ugly that chick was at the same time.

Stay safe