The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 29, 2016, 09:03 PM   #1
Dymond

How do the 3Gun divisions work?

So I'm doing my 3rd 3gun competition. The past times I was in limited, shooting irons on my rifle, and production pistol. I was also shooting my Mossberg 930. I ended up upgrading my Mossberg with an extension tube for +4. I also ran a fixed choke 18.5 which was not ideal for waterfowl.

I bought a 24' w/ adjustable choke barrel for a dirt to use for waterfowl and 3gun. Problem is the barrel is ported. If I was to switch and use the 24', how does the classification work? I'm still learning 3gun rules. Would my pistol and rifle be classified as limited and my shotgun considered open? Or will I be considered open in general, where I would be using my iron sights on my rifle with people using optics or using my production pistol with people using ported barrels, optics, etc because my shotgun was classified open?
Old September 29, 2016, 11:24 PM   #2
g.willikers

If you don't have a response to your question here, ask at brianenos.com in the 3 gun section.
Old September 30, 2016, 09:14 AM   #3
9x45

If any one of the 3 guns has a feature that is prohibited in Tactical or Limited, for example, USPSA MultiGun rules, then you are in Open Division. So then just put a dot on your shotgun, take full advantage of that division and run speed tubes, put a dot on your pistol and run 170mm magazine extensions and run 2 optics and a bipod on the rifle. There more shooters in Tactical than Open, which means for a good match run, you would be further up in the stack. However, there are more outlaw matches than USPSA, so you need to look at the rules for each match. For example, Superstition Mystery Mountain and MGM Iron Man

https://smm3gun.com/wp-content/uploa...M3G-Rules1.pdf

http://www.mgmironman.com/index.php/rules

Last edited by 9x45; September 30, 2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old September 30, 2016, 11:00 AM   #4
MarkCO

Ported barrel moves you to open in all recognized 3Gun rulesets. There are no generally standardized rules in 3Gun, either in safety or divisions.

Best bet is to read the rules for each match prior to packing your gear.