The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 5, 2016, 04:40 AM   #1
Tex44

Tell me about IDPA and USPSA

There's a range near by that hosts matches for IDPA and USPSA. I've been wanting to get into competition shooting for awhile now, and figured that would be a good place to start. Exactly, what is the difference between IDPA and USPSA? What kind of gear would you recommend?
Old May 5, 2016, 08:14 AM   #2
g.willikers

The first order of business is to go to their respective web sites and download their rule books.
Read them thoroughly and most of your questions will be answered.
http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules
http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php
Also check The power factor show - they have had tons of videos on this very subject.

Last edited by g.willikers; May 5, 2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 5, 2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Without burning up the net with a long description, the best advice I can give is to go and look. Read the rules later.

The differences are not so great as the promoters would have you think, certainly not at the entry level.
Old May 5, 2016, 09:29 AM   #4
9x45

Tex, first thing to do is contact the match director and find out if they require a safety class before letting you shoot. Some clubs do, some don't. Then at the very least go out and watch a match, and talk to the shooters. They will be glad to help you with gun, gear, etc. They are both games, timed and scored, but with different rules. First came IPSC in 1975, then came USPSA in 1986, then came IDPA in 1997. What you will need is a good gun belt, holster and at least 2 mag pouches for IDPA (more for USPSA). Almost any full size gun will work, you will see alot of Glocks and CZ's and 1911's. The absolute very last thing you want to do is try to understand the rules and get hung up on if you can run your particular gun in what division. You want to focus on your shooting ability, not understanding the division, classification, stage rules, etc. It will just give you a headache. And there are guys playing the game for years that still don't understand the USPSA scoring system. Besides you will be placed in a squad with very experienced shooters who will guide you thru the first several times. You do not need to be a member of either the host club or USPSA/IDPA to start.

Check out BrianEnos, thats where all the hoser's (fast competition shooters) hang out.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Last edited by 9x45; May 5, 2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:03 AM   #5
9x45

Hear a list of Texas clubs, courtesy my 3 gun hoser friend, Jesse.

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/...-area-matches/
Old May 5, 2016, 10:45 AM   #6
g.willikers

Quote:
The absolute very last thing you want to do is try to understand the rules
Safety and procedural rules excepted.
You don't want to get disqualified on the first stage.

Checking out a match or two to begin with is good.
Especially if the RO will allow you to tag along and assist.
No better way to get the hang of things without pressure, than that.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:26 AM   #7
Jim Watson

I haven't done my Four Priorities in a while.

Priority 1: Be safe. Don't hurt anybody, don't scare anybody, don't get disqualified for safety rule violations. USPSA has the 180 degree line across the range which you must not point your gun behind, IDPA has either that or marked Muzzle Safe Points. Get your finger out of the trigger guard to reload or move unless actually shooting on the move. Most ranges are cold, the gun to be unloaded and not handled at any time except on the firing line to the instructions of the Range or Safety Officer.
The most common lack of muzzle control is turning the gun across the body to reload. Why? Are they reading the instructions off the side of the gun? I don't know, but don't do it.

Priority 2: Pay attention. Don't accumulate penalties. IDPA is pretty choreographed as to which targets to shoot from where and how much. USPSA is more freestyle so you can pick your own rules of engagement but to start you will do well to ask advice and to pay attention to what the moderately experienced shooters do. (Don't try to emulate the top shooters, they are doing things you have yet to learn.)

Priority 3: Hit the target. Hit the target in the middle. Both sports are time based but you must get your hits. "You cannot miss fast enough to win."

Priority 4: Move along, your score is based on your time from the start buzzer to the last shot, as modified for non-center hits and penalties. Don't run before you walk LITERALLY, but do not dilly dally around on the course.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:30 AM   #8
MrBorland

Generally, USPSA is more "freestyle" and has a higher round count than IDPA. The scoring's different. too.

In IDPA, the targets are generally are shot in a prescribed order, and you have to shoot and reload from cover when it's available. IDPA stages also generally involve fewer rounds than IDPA, and you have to wear a concealment garment. Use your Utube foo to watch some IDPA and USPSA videos and to get a general feel for each.

Some like the freestyle nature of USPSA, whereas some like IDPA because of its emphasis on concealment & cover. Keep in mind, though, that both are games, not self-defense training.

As far as gear, definitely read the rulebook, but kydex rules. A OWB kydex holster that covers the trigger guard and kydex mag holders are a good start.

What gun would you plan on using? That might help push you into one or the other game.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:20 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...wanting to get into competition shooting..." There are lots of competitions that do not involve all the running and jumping of IPSC/IDPA/USPSA. None of which are in the least bit 'practical'. However, also look at the NRA's competitions site.
Absolutely visit the sites and go to a few club level practices.
Remember that both are shooting games and nothing else. The assorted shooting games are not training or practice for combat in the streets.
You'll need good foot wear too. The gun belt is as important as the holster as well.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:30 PM   #10
MrBorland

Some good Overview vids put together by Ruger...

IDPA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDaVIbJ4AU

Note the use of cover and a concealment garment. Lower round count than USPSA, and targets are generally shot in a pre-determined order. Frequently, the stages involve scenarios not seen in USPSA, e.g. low light conditions, carrying and/or retrieving a prop while shooting, shooting from inside cars and car trunks as well as other interesting stuff a match director might put together.

USPSA Overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbdbHReqQ8

More freestyle, so each shooter decides for themselves how they'll shoot the stage (within safety rules, of course). Note the higher round count (and more mags on your belt), more shooter movement, and the inclusion of "race" guns with optics (in "Open" class only).
Old May 5, 2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Tex44

Thanks guys for the info. Give me a little bit to go through the rules and the videos, and I'll get back to you.

As for guns, I have a few I could use in the different divisions.

Remington 1911R1 - 45 acp
Taurus 92AF - 9mm
Bersa Thunder Pro UC - 9mm
Beretta 84F - .380
Colt Army Special - .38 special
Old May 5, 2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Jim Watson

The main Divisions for your guns are:

Remington 1911R1 - 45 acp
IDPA CDP, USPSA Single Stack

Taurus 92AF - 9mm
IDPA SSP or ESP, USPSA Production

Bersa Thunder Pro UC - 9mm
IDPA SSP, USPSA Production

Beretta 84F - .380
No application

Colt Army Special - .38 special
IDPA REV-S (If 4" barrel.), USPSA Revolver
Old May 5, 2016, 02:50 PM   #13
9x45

Rules meaning trying to understand the division/classification/scoring/allowable modifications/procedurals/Vickers/Comstock scoring, etc, from the 112 page USPSA rule book. Safety is safety. Only shoot at scoring targets, keep your finger out while moving and reloading, that's it. A DQ is self correcting. Procedural's are not a big deal, they are not safety related, and only cost points. All newbies will make procedural errors, that's part of the learning the rules. Action pistol is inherently dangerous, it's not shooting a box target from behind a bench at an indoor range. That's why many clubs require an all day safety class before the first match. You will be squaded with experienced shooters and in USPSA Level I (local) matches you can ask the RO for help thru out the stage.

Last edited by 9x45; May 5, 2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old May 5, 2016, 02:54 PM   #14
zincwarrior

Quote:
"...wanting to get into competition shooting..." There are lots of competitions that do not involve all the running and jumping of IPSC/IDPA/USPSA. None of which are in the least bit 'practical'. However, also look at the NRA's competitions site.

Old May 5, 2016, 03:03 PM   #15
9x45

Tex, never answered the first question "Exactly, what is the difference between IDPA and USPSA?" Only the rules, that's all. Both are shooting games, both are scored and timed. Both have different but similar divisions and classifications. Neither are tactics or training, only games. You may learn how to shoot really fast and accurately in either game, and learn how to move and shoot, etc, but they are still just games. All depends on what you want to contribute and get out of them. IDPA is not real world and USPSA is not spray and pray. Do you want to dedicate you entire life to winning? Or just run with your actual carry gun and full house ammo for practice? Or just come out and have some fun with like minded shooters, even if you don't do as well as the top guys.

Again first best thing is to get in contact with your nearest club and go from there.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:01 PM   #16
RickB

I'd recommend that you shoot the gun with which you are the most familiar.
As long as it's at least of 9mm/.38 Special caliber, there will be a competitive division (lines drawn to separate equipment types) where it's legal.

I'd go with the Remington 1911 in IDPA Custom Defensive Pistol or USPSA Single Stack, as it is as good as anything in those divisions, while your others are going to put you at something of a disadvantage, equipment-wise.

Get a nice, stiff GUN belt, a matching straight-drop holster (holster loops and slots the same width as the belt) that carries the gun high and tight, and at least four mags - six would be better - and vertical mag pouches; that gear is legal for every division of both sports.

Once you get acclimated you will develop preferences that may lead you to buying more specialized gear, usually resulting in a box of holsters under the work bench.
Old May 9, 2016, 04:31 PM   #17
AzShooter

I belong to two BIG clubs here in Arizona. Before you shoot a match they require you to go to a basic information class 1 hour before your first match. It's an easy way to understand the information and to ask questions.

They then squad you with experienced shooters to help you along.

After the first match, find a friendly group and ask to shoot along with them. I've never heard of a group refusing a new shooter.

I like USPSA. Been shooting IPSC since 75.

Another great game to look at is SCSA Steel Challenge Shooting Association. All targets are steel and distances are from 11 to 35 yards. The 35 yard targets are 18x24 inches, so large enough you should have no fears of hitting them. Only one stage has movement, Outer Limits and you have to more about 9 feet.
Old May 9, 2016, 07:33 PM   #18
Jim Watson

I wish more places would do that.
Seeing somebody start a complex USPSA or IDPA match with only a few minutes of instruction is downright painful... when not scary.
Old May 10, 2016, 09:34 AM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

We take care to squad new folks so that they get supervised and helped.

Very supportive group.