The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 11, 2020, 03:00 PM   #1
zworld

what we call hawken rifles today

In the 80's I did a lot of research trying to find out what a true hawken looked like, what I found is that most that were half stocked were at least 32 to 34" in barrel length and had two barrel tenons. I bought this traditions in the mid 80's it has a 32
' barrel and the two barrel tenons, it also has a couple inlays. Think I paid less than 300 for it new. Most called hawken today are short rifles of usually 28". With one barrel tenon. I don't think modern copies are very good copies.
Old May 11, 2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Hawg

Barrel lengths on original Hawken rifles were 30-40 inches with the majority being 34-36 inches. The so called modern Hawken rifles are pretty fair representations of Tryon trade rifles from the mid 1870's (ie) brass furniture, single barrel key.
Old May 11, 2020, 06:34 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Robert Redford made everyone in America want a Hawken rifle after making the movie Jeremiah Johnson back in the early 1970's. No, they weren't a true reproduction but no one really cared. TC sold a million or two of them and everyone was happy. Tom Selleck made the movie Quigley Down Under and that followed with everyone wanting a "Quigley" Sharps....never was such a thing. Now they even have a shoot called the Quigley. Unless you're a total purist it doesn't really matter as long as you're having a good time. Civil War enactors are true purists for the most part...in all respects. Right down to the thread count in their cloths, etc. I guess if there is a mountain man reenactment it could make a difference. However for the millions who really aren't that diligent it doesn't make much difference. Pedersoli might have sold more Quigley's than any other model.
Old May 11, 2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Pahoo

In name only

Quote:
I don't think modern copies are very good copies.
Not meant to be, just made to sell. They are Hawken Models, in name only. Back in the 80's there were a bunch that were called Hawkens. ….

Have you ever held or seen a genuine half-stockHawken or plaines rifle. ?????

Be Safe !!!
Old May 11, 2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Tidewater_Kid

I like what I see here. Might be able to build a fairly close representation with one of these kits. With some research that is.

https://thehawkenshop.com/hawken_rifles.htm
Old May 11, 2020, 09:52 PM   #6
Hawg

You should get a nice representation of an original Hawken with that kit. By all means do your research. There's a few good books about Hawken rifles. I had a guy build me one from scratch going by blueprints and he did a pretty good job on it.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:38 PM   #7
HiBC

The Hawken Rifle

Mountain Man's Choice

Author James Baird

Judging by Amazon's listing its out of print. Used ones are a bit pricey.https://www.amazon.com/Hawken-Rifles...9256701&sr=8-2

If you want to build an honest replica,its a good investment.

You might browse the "Track of the Wolf" website. I think you will find proper hardware such as buttplates,patchboxes,trigger guards,Double set trigger bars,Ramrod pipes sight catings,escutcheons and stock keys,and patent hook breeches,along with barrels and stock blanks. Browning solutions.stock stains and finishes,oh,and proper unplated screws.

Did I leave out locks? Siler,L+R,...

I'm pretty sure the Hawken rifles were fitted with iron rather than brass fittings.

At the time I was into building muzzle loaders,I did nt need the catalogue.

A Gentleman and Friend was the late Michael McCormick,Proprietor of Cache La Poudre Rifleworks.
Rather than kits,we could select each part and component from his inventory.

It was a full service Buckskinner shop From Hudson Bay blankets to antique beads to bear claws,tomahawks

Mike....Brokenbutt...To know him then is to miss him now.

Last edited by HiBC; May 11, 2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old May 12, 2020, 03:40 AM   #8
l.cutler

There were a couple of Hawken replicas that were not too bad, Western arms made one. None of those marketed as Hawkens from TC, CVA, Traditions etc. from the 1970's on were even close.
Old May 12, 2020, 05:38 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

There was a talk at the NMLRA last year on the Hawkins. They hauled out a bunch of modern handmade replicas and an original.

There's at exhibit at Daniel Boone's home https://www.nmlra.org/news/first-loo...istory-classic
Old May 12, 2020, 06:14 PM   #10
Hawg

The CVA Mountain Rifles and the Lyman Great Plains came closer than most and Pedersoli makes a fairly decent one.
Old May 12, 2020, 07:32 PM   #11
Deltadart

The Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle is a pretty good one as well. From time to time they can be found in very good shape.
Old May 12, 2020, 07:36 PM   #12
bn12gg

For a number of years I've shot a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle. It seems like a pretty fair representation of a Hawken. Mine is in 50 cal with brass furniture. Nice gun with a rich history of use as the Mormons treked west to set up shop in Utah. Jonathan Browning was John Browning's dad.

.02 David
Old May 12, 2020, 07:40 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle has a Nock style breech. The chamber is smaller than the diameter of the bore. See the illustration here:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/categ...04/1/plan-nock

This requires a scraper to clean. We tried flushing but it's best to make or buy a chamber cleaner. That's easy (if you have a lathe).
Old May 12, 2020, 08:11 PM   #14
bn12gg

So far so good cleaning the bore and breech on the JBMR. I tend to use a mixture of water and Windex after use at the bench. Once home I double down on the water and Windex mixture but now aggressively clean the bore with Ballistol. A couple days later I come back to clean the bore a second time with the Ballistol. After approximately 5 years of shooting the rifle the bore remains bright.

Thanks for the breech info -- just me, but if you've seen one breech you've seen them all. I'm not an engineer.

.02 David
Old May 12, 2020, 08:55 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
For a number of years I've shot a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle. It seems like a pretty fair representation of a Hawken. Mine is in 50 cal with brass furniture.
Hawken rifles had iron furniture.

Quote:
Thanks for the breech info -- just me, but if you've seen one breech you've seen them all. I'm not an engineer.
Nope. A lot of rifles have a breech the same size as the bore.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:33 PM   #16
Dave T

Another inconvenient truth is that the Hawken (percussion) Plains Rifle was not the choice of the mountain men. It came along too late, after the beaver trapping days were about done. The scouts, explorers, and early buffalo hunters were more likely users of the Hawken than any mountain men.

Dave

Last edited by Dave T; May 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:47 AM   #17
Pahoo

Breach Plug

Quote:
This requires a scraper to clean. We tried flushing but it's best to make or buy a chamber cleaner. That's easy (if you have a lathe).
You really don't need a scraper to clean the Bowl/Cup surface of a breach plug. I have not used "machined" scrapers for a number of years mostly because one size does not fit all. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 13, 2020, 12:27 PM   #18
bn12gg

Hawg-- Re iron furniture on the original Hawkens, that certainly makes sense to me. Hawkens were tools, utilitarian items back in the day. Actually, many of the JBMR reproductions come with the iron furniture. In my case I was drawn to a new in the box specimen with brass and perfect walnut that was too pretty to pass up. I'm a sucker for gorgeous wood and some of these JBMRs are drop dead beautiful.

.02 David
Old May 13, 2020, 06:35 PM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

easy-peasy

I'd find a round stock that fits into the Nock Chamber, face it off on a lathe, drill and tap it to fit your cleaningrod. Then I'd mill one portion flat for the scraper and cut of off again on a lathe. File the rest of the milled part to fit the plug.
Old May 14, 2020, 05:02 AM   #20
Hawg

I've had pretty good luck just using a bore mop.
Old May 19, 2020, 03:39 PM   #21
Deltadart

My Browning is a .50 cal with iron furniture. I use a bore mop with a lot of Balistol. So far it has worked well. I will be trying out the scraper.
Old May 19, 2020, 06:25 PM   #22
Hawg

I put the breech in a bucket of soapy water. The mop will pull water through the nipple and push it back out with some force. You can turn the mop in the bottom of the breech to help loosen fouling but the flush usually does it.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:56 AM   #23
spitpatch

Hawkin

I’ve been told Ithaca made or marketed a good copy of the Hawkin rifle at one time.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:06 AM   #24
Pahoo

I agree

Quote:
I’ve been told Ithaca made or marketed a good copy of the Hawkin rifle at one time.
I agree and just didn't have the bucks when I had a chance to buy one. It's a beauty !!! Have not seen one, for a number of years.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 20, 2020, 11:52 AM   #25
Deltadart

Have anyone tried a .45 cal bronze brush, wrapped with the bronze wool from a kitchen chore boy to scrub the bore and recess.