The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you carry a backup for civilian CCW?
Yes, every time I carry, I'm carrying a BUG 4 7.14%
Sometimes, it depends on circumstances 16 28.57%
No, I'm not going to war and it's overkill 36 64.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26, 2019, 06:48 AM   #1
OhioGuy

How many carry BUGs for CCW?

Just wondering how many people here carry a backup gun when carrying concealed. I'm talking about ordinary civilian use, not law enforcement.

Curious if you do, and if so why, or only during certain times, etc.

And if not, why not?
Old July 26, 2019, 06:55 AM   #2
FireForged

nope
Old July 26, 2019, 08:55 AM   #3
DaveBj

I voted no, not for the reason supplied, but because I have only one concealable gun.

D
Old July 26, 2019, 09:05 AM   #4
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
I voted no, not for the reason supplied, but because I have only one concealable gun.

D
The answer to that is to buy more guns!!!! Come on man this is America!
Old July 26, 2019, 09:56 AM   #5
P5 Guy

No

How many carry BUGs while on the battlefield?

Anyway, one sub compact and a reload, if that doesn't get me out of trouble I'd be dead.
Old July 26, 2019, 10:54 AM   #6
TunnelRat

I usually don't. Playing around with appendix IWB rigs in conjunction with strong side IWB rigs and I find I could do it without that much difficulty, and not even a small BUG either.

At some level everyone carrying makes a decision based on their assessment of the threat. This includes the strength of the threat and the probability of the threat. What are the chances we get attacked? What are the chances the attacker is not alone? How about the chances he or she is wearing armor? What if my primary fails? Any of these things are possible. How likely are they? I have one pistol that is currently sitting at 5000 rds without a malfunction. What are the chances it malfunctions in such a way that I can't get it back into action with the spare magazine I carry and that the failure wasn't stopped by the maintenance I also perform? At some level I've decided that the chances of that happening are low enough to make me think I don't have to carry a BUG. I may be wrong. I hope I'm not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 26, 2019, 10:57 AM   #7
OhioGuy

Hard to quantify feeling safe.

One guy carries a full size Glock with reloads and a snubbie on his ankle. Another carries the snubbie and is perfectly content. Hopefully neither will need it!

When asked "if you knew you'd get attacked today, what gun would you bring?" I've answered "none, cuz I'm staying home!"
Old July 26, 2019, 02:18 PM   #8
TailGator

I voted no, but I am not contemptuous of those who do as the rest of the answer implied. Threat assessment and response, as TR said, is an individual thing. I respect other people's decisions.
Old July 26, 2019, 10:19 PM   #9
pete2

I mis-voted, my carry gun is 642 revolver.
Old July 26, 2019, 10:27 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5 Guy
How many carry BUGs while on the battlefield?
Don't most of our troops in the sandbox carry both an M4 and an M9? But on a battlefield you're surrounded by backup guys with guns -- who needs a backup gun when you have an army?
Old July 26, 2019, 10:47 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Don't most of our troops in the sandbox carry both an M4 and an M9?
To my knowledge the use of pistols isn't what I would call standard. There are certainly soldiers using them, but not what I think of when I think of most (Note: I don't want to debate the definition of most...).
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 27, 2019, 08:37 AM   #12
P5 Guy

AquilaBlanca, I knew a Vietnam vet that carried a snub-nosed revolver. I do imagine that was not a common thing to do.
If a trooper is issued a carbine and a pistol how can the pistol be called a BUG? I mean wouldn't the BUG be more like my cousin carrying the snub-nose along with his issued weapons?
Old July 27, 2019, 09:29 AM   #13
davidsog

Quote:
(Note: I don't want to debate the definition of most...).
Exactly.

In a standard US Army Infantry unit you will find most of the pistols in Officers, Medics, and Weapons Squad. That being said, everyone is familiarized with a pistol and shoots them in training. The unit Armorer also has spare pistols to fill the needs of the unit as required.

It also is a requirement of basic training to fire the M9 before graduation so everyone in the Army is consider to be trained with a pistol.

In SOF units pistols are more standard equipment.
Old July 27, 2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
Quote]Don't most of our troops in the sandbox carry both an M4 and an M9?
To my knowledge the use of pistols isn't what I would call standard. There are certainly soldiers using them, but not what I think of when I think of most. [/QUOTE]
Here's an example of why I thought all our guys carried M9s as backup "over there."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith
Please note that ALL of our soldiers, marines and SEALS who kick doors in urban fighting are armed with rifles or shotguns for their primary arm with handguns as back-up arms. Why do you think that is?
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=17

I guess I extrapolated from such reports to assuming that all our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are now double armed. I looked at some videos on Youtube last night, though, and in most of them it appeared that only one man in a squad or platoon was carrying an M9 in addition to his M4 or SAW.
Old July 27, 2019, 11:04 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
AquilaBlanca, I knew a Vietnam vet that carried a snub-nosed revolver. I do imagine that was not a common thing to do.
I did one tour in sunny southeast Asia and I never saw a revolver. Supposedly, some Air Force loadmasters still wore .38 Special revolvers, but I was Army. I did hear rumors that some guys who habitually walked point on patrols carried personal shotguns they had sent over from home but, again, I never saw one in person, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of such reports.

Quote:
If a trooper is issued a carbine and a pistol how can the pistol be called a BUG? I mean wouldn't the BUG be more like my cousin carrying the snub-nose along with his issued weapons?
I don't understand the question. If you're carrying two guns, unless they are identical and you are effectively ambidextrous in shooting (like the Lone Ranger), one gun is your primary weapon and the other is your backup. I don't see how it makes any difference whether the BUG is government-issue or personal property. Strictly speaking, although the Lone Ranger wore two identical guns, he generally only used the one in the right-hand holster. So his left-hand Colt was his BUG.
Old July 27, 2019, 01:02 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

In the military pistols are status tools. Issued to those that have other uses for their hands. Carrying a handgun in battle makes one a target for snipers too.
Carrying a shotgun by military people in battle is a war crime. Multi-projectile weapons were banned by the Hague(signed by the U.S. after W.W. II) Rules of Land Warfare over 100 years ago. It's about causing unnecessary injuries.
https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/custo...apter20_rule70
Carrying more than handgun for CCW is mostly a logistics issue. However, if you can't deal with whatever situation you got yourself into with one firearm, you're in over your head in the first place.
Your ankle is a very bad place to carry any firearm. Far too difficult to get at in a hurry.
Old July 27, 2019, 01:43 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

Carrying/using a shotgun isn't a war crime. Sheesh!
Old July 27, 2019, 01:43 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
In the military pistols are status tools. Issued to those that have other uses for their hands. Carrying a handgun in battle makes one a target for snipers too.
Carrying a shotgun by military people in battle is a war crime. Multi-projectile weapons were banned by the Hague(signed by the U.S. after W.W. II) Rules of Land Warfare over 100 years ago. It's about causing unnecessary injuries.
https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/custo...apter20_rule70
Carrying more than handgun for CCW is mostly a logistics issue. However, if you can't deal with whatever situation you got yourself into with one firearm, you're in over your head in the first place.
Your ankle is a very bad place to carry any firearm. Far too difficult to get at in a hurry.
You realize the US has shotguns in inventory with official designations? The issue of shotguns with regards to the Hague convention is a matter of interpretation and the US has specifically argued that they are not in fact banned by the Hague.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...shotguns-27897

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 27, 2019, 01:46 PM   #19
davidsog

Quote:
In the military pistols are status tools.
In the US Army they are becoming more and more common. As warfare in the late 20th and 21st century has become more urban orientated, they are becoming part of everyday kit as Regular Forces take on skillsets once reserved for CQB and specialty units.

They are realizing even in MOUT that transitioning saves lives as opposed to immediate action on a primary weapon.

As with anything, money and TO&E dictates....

You can bet that an Infantry Platoon in the 25th Infantry does not have as many pistols as one in 2/325 PIR or as many as 1/75th Ranger Inf.

Quote:
Carrying a shotgun by military people in battle is a war crime.
Not something the US recognizes or subscribes too. I am sure in Canada this is true but it is patently false regarding the US Military.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...shotguns-27897

https://www.benning.army.mil/infantr.../Phillips.html
Old July 27, 2019, 03:09 PM   #20
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Hard to quantify feeling safe.

One guy carries a full size Glock with reloads and a snubbie on his ankle. Another carries the snubbie and is perfectly content. Hopefully neither will need it!

When asked "if you knew you'd get attacked today, what gun would you bring?" I've answered "none, cuz I'm staying home!"
I always ask where you get the Magic 8 Balls that tell you what youll need and when, but no one seems to want to give that up.

I carry a second gun on a pretty regular basis, and for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, sometimes I need to leave my 17 in the car at work, due to what Im doing that day, and the 26 is always there regardless.

Other times, if we are going somewhere or travel through someplace thats a bit sketchy, Ill have the 26 along as well. My wife, and a couple of my buddies seem to prefer not to carry, and it gives options if need be. No big deal having it, but it could be second shooter if it were needed. It can also be a second 17 with a simple and quick mag change.

It also makes it easier driving sometimes to have a second gun in a place thats easier and/or less obvious to access. These days, I find AIWB tends to negate that, but it still works.

In the winter, plowing snow, a second gun in a shoulder holster is handy. Its about the only time Id use or consider a shoulder holster, but it works well in that case. Ive had more altercations at night plowing snow, than pretty much anything else. For some reason, that really brings the nut jobs out!
Old July 27, 2019, 07:27 PM   #21
JERRYS.

depends upon how I'm dressed.
Old July 27, 2019, 10:45 PM   #22
Nanuk

In the minority. I carry a Glock and a J frame 357 mag.

No BUGs on the battle field?

With a squad for support I guess it is a moot point. When I was in the Army I carried an M-60 and a 1911 and an M-16 all at the same time. Army Regs at the time called for everyone to carry an M-16 regardless. What would the M-16 and/or the 191 be called in that situation? Would a M 203 be a BUG to the M-16 or visa versa? Is bacon better cooked on an M-60?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 28, 2019, 06:53 AM   #23
sarge912

I have often carried a back-up since I retired. (Almost always carried one on the job.)
It depends on where I am going and what I will be doing.

If you are going to carry more than one, it is important to train in the same manner that you carry your back-up.
Old July 28, 2019, 08:16 AM   #24
jar

Sometimes I will carry a second handgun. Today with the wide assortment of small pocket pistols and revolvers available it's about as easy to carry a second gun as a spare magazine.
Old July 28, 2019, 08:49 AM   #25
JN01

When it is really cold and I'm wearing a heavy coat which makes accessing my primary pistol near impossible, I will have a small second gun in the handwarmer pocket of my coat.

Otherwise, no, I only carry one gun.