The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 24, 2008, 08:51 AM   #26
Clayton

For the skeptics, I've tried pretty much every lube out there and Weapon Shield is the best CLP on the market. Lots of decent products like Break-Free CLP out there, I've used Break-Free for many, many years, as well as G96, Eezoxx, and others. No CLP works as well as Weapon Shield CLP.

http://www.weaponshield.com/PDF/Weap...eliability.pdf

As for Militec-1, it is a great lubricant as mentioned, and the guys at Militec support the troops 100% as well, but it is not a CLP and it will not prevent corrosion as well as Weapon Shield CLP. Not even close.

www.militec-1.com

Great to see Weapon Shield is in the hands of the guys that can really use it the most. Outstanding job, George!

All of our trials and testemonials will pale in comparison to the field reports coming in from harm's way, as in the above statements. The environmental conditions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and the sheer amount of Weapon Shield CLP being used daily by our troops have proven how effective this stuff really is.

As to using something thicker like a grease, I personally don't think that it is necessary, or a good idea, but lots of guys do. If you want a grease, try the LithiShield from George -

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/prods...thi-Shield.pdf

Milcomm TW-25B is also very popular -

www.milcomm.com

Clay
Old June 28, 2008, 12:31 PM   #27
bigjack59

Tremendous testomonials, where can you get this stuff?
Old June 28, 2008, 01:30 PM   #28
Water-Man

Hi George. Received my sample today and am looking forward to trying it. Thanks again.
Old June 28, 2008, 02:15 PM   #29
rgates

www.weaponshield.com
Old June 29, 2008, 11:10 PM   #30
Blankwaffe

Yeah testimonials are worth exactly what they are,which are opinions most of the time and everyone has one.I know Ive got several and here is one of them.
Personal experience from men in the field under not so good combat conditions,showing good results from his group is another.
Yeah George can jump up and down saying his Weapon Shield is the best ever and receive doubt from some folks.But he is a man of his word and is willing to stand up for what he says.If a person has doubt in what he says its easy to just get a sample and try it out.For free too.If you have question then call and ask...George and Mark will stand on thier heads trying to answer questions.
Trust me,I have been hounding George since the year 2000 by phone,email and in person at matches...I mean almost weekly too.Im a pretty hard sell and require alot of detailed information.Including formula details.
So I'd say he is open to just about any line of questioning regarding his product or even advice on weapons maintenance,repairs,products and even shooting techniques.
Thats one thing that seperates George from most all other lubricant manufacturers.He is an actual sportsman,who does actually shoot and use his own products.Call some of the other manufacturers and start talking about spring selection in a 1911 and see what you get.Then try and get some detailed or technical info on the products they sell.Heck some dont even want to provide an MSDS.
Not to mention he manufactures several other products aimed at the automotve and rail industries.Im pretty sure the Weapon Shield holds just a small market share of what he sells.I bet he has not got rich on the FP-10 or Weapon Shield,especially considering the amount of time he spends talking about the subject.I'd almost bet he has given about as much CLP away as he has sold in fact.
If you talk to the man you can tell he is selling a gun oil that he made to do what he wants on his personal weapons.So I see it as Im actually buying a product made specifically for weapons,by a Lubrication Engineer designed for his personal weapons.
Now I dont work for George and Im not trying to stand up for him,or raise praise,as he does not need me to.Im just trying to say that George has actually worked hard to come up with a CLP that meets the requirements that he feels are needed from a gun lube as he see's it.He designs,tests,does the formulation,and in the end goes and tests the CLP on his own Weapons.I know Ive seen him in the field using and nit picking his own products.
What Ive done in the past is get enough of the product to actually test it.A one ounce bottle or sample packet is not enough for me to even start with.
I want my back yard red neck corrosion tests,live fire and long term evaluation over a series of months.I use the products on everything from muzzle loaders to belt feds...pretty much anything I can get my hands on that goes bang.Then run the without PM for as long as my OCD can stand it.
Ive run well over 700 rounds through standard AR's in a matter of a few hours with only a single light application of the Weapon Shield.Ive tortured several pistols in the process as well.To date I have yet to see any of them fail from a lack of lubrication or show excessive wear.In fact most all are still wet with lube and only require a simple wipe down.I have not had a single issue with wear or corrosion,and that includes my CCW.
Yeah any decent weapon should run 100% with even the lightest amount of any type of lube and minimal maintenance.The actual proof is in the long term preservation of the overall mechanical status. If anyone has ever had a pistol suffer from poor lubrication you know what Im talking about.I have my old LEO service weapon,a Italian made Beretta 92FS,that is worn badly from using poor lubricants.Which is one of the reasons I have spent so much money and time searching for the ultimate gun oil.I care not to repeat.
Now one might look at all the online corrosion tests and say one product is better than the other.But you also have to consider most of these tests are from extreme exposure to salt water and extreme high humidity with no context of actual preventative maintenance.
I can tell you one thing for a fact if I do decide to go for a swin in the ocean with my pistol,it will get a flushing with fresh water and soap,then a detail strip.I dont care what oil you use somthing is going to rust in the end if you dont.If you do make a regular practice of spraying your weapons with a salt water solution,I'd recommend seeking help and stopping.
Personally if I can place an old gun barrel outside in my back yard for a week or so,coated in my gun oil of choice and get pretty decent results Im pretty darn happy.Thats a worse case scenario for me,as my weapons maintenance is like a religion.Golden rule that was hammered into my head; "The sun never sets on a dirty weapon."
Anyway the corrosion tests also do not show which of the products is actually or truely balanced.What I mean is sure they show the top preformers in long term protection against salts and acids but what about as a lube and or cleaner.
To me a true CLP has to be able to provide all three functions with adequate results and not just shine at one of them.Thats what I call balanced.
To end my long ramble I will just say the Weapon Shield fits the bill for everything I expect from a gun oil/CLP.In a word its "dependable."
IMHO its the best and most balanced CLP on the market.
I also add that I like the Mil-comm TW25B for a weapons grease.But Ive seen excellent results from using the Lithi Shield mixed with a little Weapon Shield to get the viscosity I want for a gun grease.Sorry George Im a greaser at heart and gota have some every once in awhile.Plus you gave me a sample so its your fault Im using it.Ya know man.
For black powder and corrosive ammo cleaning I still like Ballistol and water.That is until George gets his "Corrosive Ammo Cleaner" back on the market.That stuff rocks.
Again sorry for the long ramble and thanks for reading..Just want to share what Ive found out for myself.
Old July 15, 2008, 12:43 PM   #31
chubbmann

I am waiting to be sold with my free sample. This product sounds better than the military surplus gun grease that I have been using.
Old July 15, 2008, 05:04 PM   #32
Bill Sander

It sounds great. Is there any way for us to get a free sample?
Old July 18, 2008, 04:55 PM   #33
50 shooter

Look back at Georges posts, he added an email to ask for a free supply.

Weapons Shield is great stuff, use it on my pistols and rifles. Made sure to let other try out the sample that I got seeing how I was the one that got the sample thing going back when George first posted about WS.

I'm willing to bet that George has made many lifetime customers by letting hundres of guys try it through the samples given away. Not many companies giving away freebies any more, just goes to show the type of guy George is. Great product from a great guy.
No time for rearranging.
Old July 18, 2008, 08:56 PM   #34
rnr

I saw the 'email' post. So I sent mine along and I've got a sample heading my way. I'm looking forward to testing the oil out.
Old July 18, 2008, 09:15 PM   #35
MisterWilson

Does your product have nano-diamonds?
Old July 18, 2008, 10:00 PM   #36
ssilicon

I got a sample a few weeks back. I have not had a chance to try it yet since I wanted to wait until I dirty a gun up at the range before cleaning. But when I do try it, I will give my observations as they come.
Old July 21, 2008, 03:31 PM   #37
rnr

Nice! I got my sample today. Quick service, that alone would make me keep buying the oil.
So I put a bit on my Kershaw Leek just 'cause I had to use it on something! It lubricates, but that's what oil does. Well, I'll test it over the next couple weeks and see.
Old July 21, 2008, 07:36 PM   #38
Jermtheory

Quote:
Does your product have nano-diamonds?
pico gems.
Old July 22, 2008, 11:15 PM   #39
Blankwaffe

Oh lord not the dreaded nanolube thing again.Last thread I saw mentioning that stuff got nasty in the end.It is available for purchase on ebay though.
Im sure George as a L.E. will get some entertainment out of the nano diamond lube theory though.
Old July 23, 2008, 08:28 AM   #40
NanoLube

I did not intend to barge in, and even though we are all friends here - one point needs clarifying.

Lubrication engineers have never seen anything quite like NanoLube TM - outside of Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coatings which many LE's are not familiar with. Technically, my material provides a mechanically applied DLC coating of nanoparticles on all contact surfaces, of about 1nm or less that has no effect on machined tolerances.

BTW - I met the Shield guys at ShotShow 2008, biggest show I ever “ran” through passing out samples.

Chris Arnold
630-706-1250
Old July 23, 2008, 04:11 PM   #41
Blankwaffe

Alright Mister Wilson...you did it.
Old July 23, 2008, 04:37 PM   #42
Tempest45

1nm??? What happens when the 1000 times bigger asperities breaks off from wear with all of your 1nm diamonds attached to it? 1nm??? This is too rich. 1nm is about 10 times the size of an oil molecule.

Wear pads that are formed by ZDDP are 100 times thicker than that and extreme pressure films are measured in microns (micro meters) 1000x larger.

1nm?? DLC without a vapor chamber? Does your product turn the gun black? TOO funny.

And please don't try and tell me that these role along the surface like tiny ball bearings...:barf:

ETA: The DLC coating from Ion bond is about 5000X thicker than what you are saying here.
http://www.ionbond.com/pix/files/coatingDlc2.pdf

And a unit converter for anyone that wants to do the math for themselves:
http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

ETA: After reading some of your posts, I see a lot of "50-400 strokes to seat the diamonds", "the more you use it the better it works", "nonstick surface". Sounds a LOT like a chlorinated extreme pressure additive. Does your product contain any chlorine, sulphur, phos?

Last edited by Tempest45; July 23, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old July 23, 2008, 07:46 PM   #43
NanoLube

.1nm for an oil molecule - prove it, and Asperities 1000X larger breaking off??? exactly what are you trying to say?
<1nm??? What happens when the 1000 times bigger asperities breaks off from wear with all of your 1nm diamonds attached to it? 1nm??? This is too rich. 1nm is about 10 times the size of an oil molecule.

I said these are nanodiamonds, not solid films.
<Wear pads that are formed by ZDDP are 100 times thicker than that and extreme pressure films are measured in microns (micro meters) 1000x larger.

You cannot make DLC powder is a CVD chamber, so all the experts have told me. What is the point of acting out like a school boy when it is clear you do not understand what is written?
<1nm?? DLC without a vapor chamber? Does your product turn the gun black? TOO funny.

Like I said, they embed - why are you trying to start an argument over what I did not say?
<And please don't try and tell me that these role along the surface like tiny ball bearings...

DLC coatings are one thing, and so is building up two 6 micron layers of polymer on metal finishes, neither of which I do.
<ETA: The DLC coating from Ion bond is about 5000X thicker than what you are saying here.
http://www.ionbond.com/pix/files/coatingDlc2.pdf

Meaningless when you don't know what you are doing the math on
<And a unit converter for anyone that wants to do the math for themselves:
http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Like I said, my product has two ingredients, the same two ingredients it always had - synthetic oil and Novel NanoDiamond particles.
<ETA: After reading some of your posts, I see a lot of "50-400 strokes to seat the diamonds", "the more you use it the better it works", "nonstick surface". Sounds a LOT like a chlorinated extreme pressure additive. Does your product contain any chlorine, sulpur, phos?

Sulpur?? NO Polymers, Sulfur, Chlorine, Phosphorous, Lead, Tin, Kryptonite, pixie dust - just nanodiamond and oil.

It was nice chatting with you, but you are rude, arrogant, and make strange accusations that could have been avoided by simply reading. Bye.

Last edited by NanoLube; July 23, 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo pointer > sulpur
Old July 23, 2008, 09:12 PM   #44
Blankwaffe

Tempest,
I popped a smoke earlier...that LZ is hot bro.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:32 AM   #45
Tempest45

Quote:
.1nm for an oil molecule - prove it
I miss spoke, that is ~ approximately the size of an atom. I have seen oil molecules listed as anywhere from 20 to 60 Angstroms. If the latter is true, then your diamonds are 1/6 the size of an oil molecule. And that is supposed to help how?
Quote:
Asperities 1000X larger breaking off??? exactly what are you trying to say?
What I am trying to say is that your nano-diamonds are too small to do anything. Even if they embed into the surface of the metal, they will do nothing to keep the asperities from contacting or breaking off which are at least 1000 times larger than your diamonds. These will do nothing to bolster the asperity or prevent wear. If they embed, there is no slip as with moly and there is no ablative/slip effect as with anti-wear and extreme pressure additives. There is also no asperity filling as can happen with moly and EP additives. There is no surface improvement so how can there be a reduction in friction?

Embed a million basket ball sized bearings into a 1000ft peak, and collide it with another peak inverted. How are the bearings supposed to help? Interlocked spheres on opposing planes do not slide well.

Further, if someone comes along and uses a lubricant with AW or EP chemistry (which you should), your diamonds will be buried far under the formed films and will do nothing.

The roller bearing theory has been reported in the past. I see now that you no longer make that claim, sorry. But now you do not know the mechanism by which the lubricity is obtained. Kinda' sketchy.

Quote:
It is like getting a DLC finish for a fifty cents instead of hundreds of dollars.
Direct quote by you: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...&highlight=dlc
A layer 1nm of diamond is very different from a proper DLC coating.

Quote:
Meaningless when you don't know what you are doing the math on
Care to explain and enlighten your potential customers?

Quote:
that LZ is hot bro
Yep, but when the BS meter is pegged...

Last edited by Tempest45; July 24, 2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old July 24, 2008, 02:31 AM   #46
NanoLube

Too Small to do anything - Except in IRAQ

Mr. Arnold,

Just wanted you to know that I posted some info on M4carbine about the Nanolube you sent. It seemed to work pretty good, especially in the shop when I was repairing AK's. Some of the latches which were very stiff to move loosened up rather well and definitely better than the CLP. We also tested it on an AK, M249 SAW and a Bushmaster M4 style carbine. Results were pretty good with no malfunctions. Once I prurchase a larger bottle and get into circulation and check those results I will let you know what happens. Thanks.

v/r,

W. LARSON
ARMORER
FOB OLYMPIA, IRAQ
TRIPLE CANOPY
Old July 24, 2008, 02:36 AM   #47
NanoLube

Triple Canopy post

Well I guess that this would be a good time to chime in about the Nanolube sample(s) I received. I used it on some AK's that had very stiff latches. I applied a few drops to the problem areas and it worked damn good. As a matter of fact I first tried CLP which didn't seem to help.

Next test was out on the range with an M249 SAW. Lube was applied to the rails and main contact points. Ambient temperature was about 99 degrees and was dusty outside. There were no malfunctions of any kind after approx. 1000 rds being expended.

One of our guys was running through an extended shoot course with his issue Bushmaster. I had him wipe down all other excess lube and then lube the inside with Nanolube. It was applied to the bolt and carrier and along the upper where the charging handle rides. A few hundred rounds were fired during this course and no malfunctions were observed. There was one malfunction that was attributed to the ammo only.

Final test I took an old (pre-1959) milled receiver AK47 that was a little rough. I cleaned it up and lubed it with Nanolube. The gun ran excellent. As a matter of fact it almost seemed to be cycling faster than normal (though I don't believe this is the case) and experienced no problems. I am probably going to buy a larger size bottle and use it more before I give a 100% endorsement.
Old July 24, 2008, 11:03 AM   #48
Tempest45

There is nothing there showing how the product works, and there are plenty of chemisties that will provide the same results that do not cost $25 an ounce. Proven chemistries that build much thicker layers on the surface and are just as much attached.
I don't know if you are using these chemistries in your oil or not, but it would appear that an electron microscope is required to verify that these nano-diamonds are present in the oil. They certainly should not show up on any standard oil analysis. How very convenient.

Are my technical points wrong? You did not address them.
Old July 30, 2008, 05:49 PM   #49
Yithian

Just leave it be Nano.
Try not to personalize it.
If he wants to debunk you, let him pay for the elec. microscope tests.
Then he, and you, will have proof.

Until then, I enjoy the sample you gave me.
Thank you.

For those that don't believe, and refuse to try it, thanks for helping to keep the price low.

Have a nice day.
Old July 30, 2008, 06:08 PM   #50
Tempest45

If belief is all that you require, have at it.

$25 an ounce is a low price???