The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How many guns do you carry??
I don't carry 15 7.65%
I carry one main gun 139 70.92%
I carry a main and a back up gun 36 18.37%
I carry three or more guns 6 3.06%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 4, 2009, 07:23 PM   #51
sakeneko

Just one gun for me. I deliberately picked an ultra-reliable gun (S&W revolver) and carry a couple of full speedloaders just in case. I'm a civilian whose first line of defense is to be somewhere else if a gun fight starts. :-) (Nobody is paying me to go into dangerous situations, so I don't.) I would prefer to have one reliable gun with me, and am willing to take the small risk that something might go wrong. The gun gets used frequently and cleaned carefully after use, so I think I will know if something ever isn't functioning just right.

Somebody whose job it is to go into dangerous situations, or who simply does sometimes, might well do the math and come up with a different result for themselves.
Old October 4, 2009, 07:25 PM   #52
skoro

How many guns do you carry??

I have a rotation of 3 carry guns. I never carry more than one at a time, though.
Old October 4, 2009, 07:26 PM   #53
MLeake

Sakeneko, not to be argumentative...

... and you are right about the odds being small.

However, my squib malfunction occurred with a S&W revolver. It doesn't matter how reliable your weapon is when the ammo squibs.

But again, the odds are small.
Old October 4, 2009, 08:13 PM   #54
swk314

I carry one pistol on me at a time, with one reload.
Old October 4, 2009, 08:20 PM   #55
MrSardonicus

1 gun always
1 gun and a Bug most of the time
1 gun and a Bug and a BBug sometimes
1 gun and a Bug and a BBug and a BBBug rarely, but I do do it.
Old October 4, 2009, 08:35 PM   #56
armsmaster270

sakeneko: No one pays you to go into a dangerous situation but that does not mean the dangerous situation will not come to you. Remember when seconds count the police are minutes away. Been there
Old October 4, 2009, 08:53 PM   #57
skydiver3346

How many do I carry?

I carry only one: (Wilson Combat Professional model 1911) with 4" barrel. It holds 8 rounds and that seems enough for me for most any situaiton. No extra mags, etc.
I do carry a couple extra mags in in my vehicle but not on me.
Old October 5, 2009, 11:38 AM   #58
psyfly

One, almost always (Yesterday an SP101 with a Bianchi speed-strip).

Occasionally, a deep-concealment BUG, as well (P3-AT, e.g.). And that’s usually because I may be going somewhere that makes it prudent to leave the primary (locked) in the truck.

I don’t carry for the reason that I feel that I’m in harm’s way or may go into harm’s way: I’m in my sixties; I fully expect to go the rest of my life without having a violent encounter of any kind.

But, I might be wrong.

If I happen someday to be wrong, it could upset my whole afternoon routine.

I’m old. I’m a little cranky. I don’t like having my routines upset.

I live in a nice, safe, middle-class neighborhood.

Despite that, I have, in the past 20 years, had three friends who were murdered. Two in their own homes and one in her front yard.

It’s not about the neighborhood and it’s not about the odds.

It’s about consequences and responsibilities. I’m one of those weirdoes who believes that a I have a moral responsibility to do what I can to make my corner of the world a better and safer place if I can. That’s one reason I carry.

Best to all,

Will
Old October 5, 2009, 12:02 PM   #59
darkeye

I voted one carry, but there are times that I do have 2 on me - just not on a daily basis
Old October 5, 2009, 12:19 PM   #60
stephen426

I can't see carrying all that gear around. I carry my Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster with the short mag and call it a day. I always have my knife (Benchmade 710) on me and I usually carry a small flashlight (Surefire Backup). I live in Florida and it is too hot to wear a jacket 95% of the time. I am always on the move at work and I don't want to worry about flashing people if I raise my arms or bend over. My father in law has been ankle carrying forever, but I'm sure that is uncomfortable (hot and off balance) and slow to draw from.

I imagine the statistics would work out something like this...
% chance you will ever need your gun (not LEO): <1%
% chance you can get the gun into play (bad guy doesn't have the jump on you): >75%
% chance you will need a reload in a gun fight: <10%
% chance your gun will fail completely: <5%

As I mentioned already, I feel adequately armed with just a 6 shot semi-auto, a folding knife, and a flashlight. If all the odds are stacked against me, its just a sign that its my time to go. Carrying has to be practical in my opinion.
Old October 9, 2009, 04:18 PM   #61
Para Bellum

One gun (strong side) one knife (weak side) one spare mag (weak side). 25yrs of matrial arts.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'll accept defeat.
Old October 12, 2009, 02:23 PM   #62
KCEsq

I carry one--- .45 that is! With a spare 8 rd mag
Old October 13, 2009, 09:56 AM   #63
CorpITGuy

One gun - primarily a .380 Auto w/ 7+1 JHP or semi JHP, IWB 6:00 with a spare mag in my weak side pocket. Usually cell phone + pepper spray on the same side.

When I'll be outside all day and am more concerned about wildlife than wild people, I carry my revolver, a S&W .357 model 66-3.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:11 AM   #64
javabum

One gun....A Glock 27
spare 9 round mag on weak side....and pepper spray.
and pray i never have to use either.

NRA Life member
Old October 13, 2009, 10:37 AM   #65
TacticalDefense1911

Two guns usually. Primary is either a Kimber Custom II or a Kahr K9 IWB and my backup is a Taurus 85 on the ankle.
Old October 13, 2009, 03:16 PM   #66
csmsss

In summertime, I carry one. Whenever it's reasonable to wear long pants and/or a jacket, I'll carry two. In any event, there is always a firearm in my vehicle.
Old October 13, 2009, 03:47 PM   #67
Firepower!

on person I carry just one most of the time. There have been occassions when I wore 3.

However my regular in vehicle is Glock 21, MP5 and Kalashnikov, and sometime M4A1 as well.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:13 PM   #68
more forty fives

I carry an XD45 most of the time.Once in a while if I go some where I might have to leave the XD in the car.I put a PPK 380 in my pocket.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:45 PM   #69
ava8harrierusmc1

I carry a XD 40 CAL

I carry a XD-40 here in California I use to live in Sacramento and i always had to carry I usally carry my 40 and 2-3 ten round mags with one mag in and one round chambered so i travel with a total of 41 rounds most times. At night I carry a small tactical flashlight or i use my streamlight Stinger HP its kind of big but it lights up everything when needed. I walk a lot since i don't like cars so i don't take chances. I have found that you can not trust people today like you use to be able to so i take no chances. But now I have moved to Rocklin California and it is better for one I live right up the street from the Police Department but thats no help someone came into my house and shot one of my dogs and i was blamed for it. So now I just watch everything that happens around me and everyone trust no one I say no matter where you live.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:57 PM   #70
Claude Clay

i didn't vote cause your choices left out

primary--my strong side gun is generally the larger, a 40 or 45 carried iwb

other primary--my left side gun is 38 or 32 H&R revolver in a vest or jacket pocket

i am caring 2 guns but do not consider one to be a 'back-up'
i think I've expanded my options in dealing with a variety of situations.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old October 13, 2009, 05:06 PM   #71
BikerRN

Quote:
Some of this may seem silly, but...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To some people, the concept of a backup gun is just ridiculous.

Something they should bear in mind: sometimes, primary weapons fail; sometimes, primary weapons are low capacity and slow to reload (IE revolvers). Sometimes, it's nice to have a pocket or ankle weapon that isn't obvious, in case it's not tactically feasible to get to an IWB/OWB weapon.

One case in point: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...89#post3708789

Note that some of us routinely transit areas that are fairly high crime, due to work requirements, locations of friends' or relatives homes, and so on.

Note also that some of us try to maintain a certain mindset while at home, because it's easier than trying to kickstart it when we go back into CENTCOM AOR. (IE, carrying, safe handling, practicing with a carry weapon, drills involving shooting from a draw, etc)

So, fire away with sarcasm and condescension. You may amuse yourself no end. Just realize not all of us who think about these things are mall ninjas, and realize that just because it hasn't happened to you, it doesn't mean that it hasn't happened to others (or to our friends or families).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by MLeake; September 26, 2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Less aggressive tone, more substantial argument
Well said.

You and KSFreeman have said anything that I would've said, and far better than I could hope to. For that I thank you both.

Biker
Old October 13, 2009, 07:48 PM   #72
Stevie-Ray

Primary and BUG.