The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 14, 2011, 08:24 PM   #26
RamItOne

Well called them today and sent it in again. When I was describing the problem to the Sig rep he put me on hold so he could relay it to their head gunsmith. Apparently its somewhat of a "known issue" and that he knew how to fix it so he will be the one on the repair. ugh.............

Thanks for the tips and letting me vent/rant
Old September 14, 2011, 08:27 PM   #27
KyJim

The first thing I would do is take some photos of the gun, close enough to show what the problem is. Email them to Sig customer service and tell them you cannot manipulate the slide in order to eject a live round. Ask them if they will authorize a local smith to at least get the round out before sending it back to Sig. If they balk, ask them if they will come and pick it up since it is unlawful to mail a firearm with ammo (much less a loaded gun that is malfunctioning and potentially dangerous). The third alternative is to provide a new gun.

At all times, remain calm and polite.

Added: Just ignore above comment since you've got a dialogue going with Sig. You were posting while I was typing.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:07 PM   #28
Mags

Let us know how this trip works out.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:41 PM   #29
daliff89

i wish you luck in getting your pistol repaired

thank goodness you didn't NEED to use it when you found out the safety was broken, making the scenario i proposed and got flamed for in my thread from last night (that got closed) true.
Old September 17, 2011, 06:57 AM   #30
postmaster

Just saw your Sig

Man my heart goes out to you. Beautiful 1911. I would be very sick to get a gun that nice and have it fail. I recently bought a new 226, but thankfully it was perfect.

Sig probably needs to hire more folks, but the Obama situation has people sitting on money. I.E "Obamacare"
Old September 22, 2011, 09:00 PM   #31
RamItOne

Got it back in the mail today. Lasted 16 rounds and then the safety took a dump. I just don't know anymore. I understand a lemon, bad run of parts etc, but to have it break 3 times, all three times having the same failure issue. How can I ever feel confident in carrying the pistol... Man I'm bummed out tonight.

Anyone think Sig will offer a replacement (different style).
Old September 23, 2011, 08:29 AM   #32
johnbt

I'd ask for a refund. That's just nuts. I would tell them that I don't have anymore time to waste or faith in their products.

I'd politely tell them that I would be hesitant to take 2 free replacement guns after seeing the quality of this one and the complete lack of followup service.

John
Old September 23, 2011, 08:42 AM   #33
WVsig

Quote:
I'd ask for a refund. That's just nuts. I would tell them that I don't have anymore time to waste or faith in their products.

I'd politely tell them that I would be hesitant to take 2 free replacement guns after seeing the quality of this one and the complete lack of followup service.
+1

Time to reboot.... ask for your money back and move on to something else.
Old October 13, 2011, 01:03 PM   #34
RamItOne

Well I got it back a week or so ago and it broke after a few rounds. Didnt want to bore y'all with an update about that. Sent it off last week, they said again their head gunsmith would look at it again. Believe his name is Alan. However the gunsmiths name on the ticket keeps saying Justin. Got it back this week and the safety dislodges the first time I use it (haven't even fired a round yet). This is just pathetic. Will call them tomorrow. It's almost becoming a game to me now on just how many times will they keep doing a half assed repair instead of taking care of the problem. I know their commercial shipping rates are better than what we'd get but I did the math and I'd pay around 130 for the shipping (both ways) so figure they get half price on their end it's still $65 per failure plus labor time in the shop. I just keep buying more guns (not sig) while I wait, so far I've purchased 3 since I bought this sig on sep 1.
Old October 13, 2011, 01:52 PM   #35
Carry_24/7

Too bad you have to through this, I've had nothing but good experiences with my 1911s, so don't give up on all of them. I've never been a fan of Sig anyway.

If Sig won't fix or replace it, you may have to find a local solution on your own dime. I know that sucks, but it may beat spending your time jacking with a piece of paper that mimics a warranty, but in reality is only a piece of paper.
Old October 14, 2011, 07:49 AM   #36
johnbt

"and it broke after a few rounds"

Please keep sending it back. If you haven't set a world record you will soon. Now I want to see how many times it takes to get it fixed.

You're about to become an internet legend.

John
Old March 14, 2012, 11:59 AM   #37
diagnostic

update?

Can you update us on the situation?

I own 3 sig 1911's and have never had a problem with any of them. Today I ordered my 4th( match elite stainless, .40 cal ).

Found this thread just searching for sig 1911 problems.
Old March 14, 2012, 01:25 PM   #38
Caz83

Sounds like a common problem w/ 1911 ambi's. I had an ambi installed in my para carry 9 and right when I received i t and opened the box, the safety on the ambi side was hanging out. I didn't bother with sending it back to Para and just went to a local smith. He told me that ambi's have to be "puzzle pieced" together meaning that he filed a rounded head into the male side and divit/ cave in the female side so they lock into place. I did it personally with my Dan Wesson Guardian.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:07 PM   #39
RamItOne

I had been meaning to update but most of the time im on here w/ my Iphone and don't want to type this much w/ it.

Caz83, yeah I had spoken with a local gunsmith but seeing that I spent around 1,000 for the pistol I didn't want a quick fix that could then give Sig grounds to back out of their warranty.

Diag- Think it was prolly 5 times that I sent it in, they have very poor communication skills, every time I explained and wrote what the problem was, their response was just have the gunsmith reassemble the pistol and send it back. The last time they wound up replacing IIRC the main spring, the grip safety and the ambi safety. There is still a lil lock up sometimes when I try to flip the safety from safe to fire on the ambi, enough for me to never consider carrying the firearm for EDC. I still love the pistol, dead on, not a fan of the target sights as the windage gets loose after a day at the range. I may try some thread locker. Its a poor design where I have to flip up the elevation in order to reach the windage screw, why not drill a large enough hole on the elevation part to allow access to the windage screw.

The new problem I have is the slide locks back maybe 20 percent of the time after the last bullet is fired. Had two different people shoot it multiple times with the same issue. It's not the magazine, I'll use my friends mags from his springfield and get the same result, he'll use my mags in his and itll lock back. Really dont want to send it off again. However I can thank them for taking their sweet time with it, since I couldn't shoot the sig that I bought I wound up buying a MnP 9mm (only for the range) to fill the void, but its a blast to shoot.

I was becoming a huge sig fan, had already purchased the P250c .40, then the 1911, was already planning on the P229 and P238 and have eyed the 226 X5 for a long time, but the 1911 and the customer service experience has sadly put a bad taste in my mouth. I know the P229 and X5 are fine pistols, just have to give sig a rest from a while, like taking a break from a once good relationship that went badly
Old March 14, 2012, 04:00 PM   #40
wild cat mccane

You bought it on a credit card that has warranty protection right?
Old March 14, 2012, 06:12 PM   #41
RamItOne

Lol now you sound like my mom (mgr for MasterCard) nope cash. But thanks for the tip I'm sure a lot of people out there are unaware of those options.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:28 AM   #42
Tom Servo
Staff

After a six-month gap of inactivity, I think we can call this one a zombie thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
.45 , 1911 , failure , repair , sig